Popperini

Problem! SEL bracelet on bluesy has been fitted using 2mm springbars...

k4jun
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

That’s what I’m doing.

Mate, have you seen Dremel no. 7103?  I just checked their OEM offering of milling/carving bits and 2mm 7103 is their smallest bit ended up with the ball.

Yes, it is dedicated to soft metal, given you have only like 4-5mm route in 316l bars, perhaps it is worth trying.

https://www.dremel.com/gb/en/p/diamond-wheel-point-2-mm-7103-v111

diamond-wheel-point-2-mm-111-hires-png-r

Waspy
2 hours ago, Popperini said:

What’s this with reference to Glaude? I’m intrigued... :) 

I think you'll find that what he means is any Rolex authorised repair shop would nail their doors shut and run for the hills if they saw you approaching with that lump of butchered metal in your hand.

Popperini
57 minutes ago, Waspy said:

I think you'll find that what he means is any Rolex authorised repair shop would nail their doors shut and run for the hills if they saw you approaching with that lump of butchered metal in your hand.

I wouldn't have thought Glaude was taking me seriously, which is what your interpretation of his words implies... either that or his Gallic humour has whistled over my head.

GingerApple

What is this Gallic humour you talk of? :ohwell:

• Like 1

Waspy
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

... either that or his Gallic humour has whistled over my head.

:clap: LOL

Popperini

So matey got his Tudor back from the Tudor Mothership. Their actions confirm that the only option in this situation is to drill out the bars. But it’s a shame that they seem to have handed the watch to someone with no more talent for the task than I’ve got...

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/ad-installed-shoulderless-spring-bars-in-bb58.5304649/post-53426430

I’m amazed that Tudor didn’t replace the bracelet given the mess that had to be made of it to fix the TD’s cock up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jibuti

You should just summon Ed China in the first place, Popperini... As we all know lad is factotum. 

But then again this thread would not exist... In length it can only compare to some fucker's new watch box opening ceremony whom I will not mention... Are we here realy that low as.... Paneristi? 

GingerApple

I don't get it. It took Tudor a day to turn it around, yet we're still waiting for a resolution a couple of weeks later.

• Like 1

deju
22 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I don't get it. It took Tudor a day to turn it around, yet we're still waiting for a resolution a couple of weeks later.

At this point @Popperini is being a fairy and needs to take an angle grinder to it :lol: 

• Like 1

Popperini
19 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I know. It doesn't look like they pay the bloke doing the jobs at Tudor either, so I don't have that excuse.

BTW, I blame you lot for all the delays. Every time someone here suggests something, I immediately buy the thing being suggested and then have to wait for it to arrive. So the 2mm drill bits I decided I needed arrived this morning, but immediately became redundant when (at about the same time as the drill bits arrived) I became educated on the concept of a milling bit that also cuts downwards, and spunked a further £20 on 3 of those. 

Redfire1066

@Popperini  . ..  I feel your pain . ..  me and the lads had to remove one of these last week  . ..  . .   :ohwell:

ZGUqDc.jpg

Edited by Redfire1066
  • Like 5

Popperini
16 minutes ago, Redfire1066 said:

@Popperini  . ..  I feel your pain . ..  me and the lads had to remove one of these last week  . ..  . .   :ohwell:

One of those guys is saying to the other, "So, you know how that Chinese machine shop we use has always struggled to understand the difference between millimetres, centimetres and metres..?"

• Like 4

Redfire1066

I am very good at taking things apart  . . .. ..   it is the putting back together that is the challenge  . ..  :Thinking: ..  lol 

• Like 2

Popperini

So anyway, while I wait for the perfect milling bits to arrive, I had a bit of a brainwave. To enable the watch to be set at any angle, why don't I just rotate the watch holder 90 degrees in the vice? Simple but genius, even if I do say so myself. It's a shame no one else thought of that...

There was a slight problem though. These nylon watch holders have a great big bolt running through them, with a wingnut fastener. That's going to get in the way. :( 

ZGUXQk.jpg

Ah but hold on - that gubbins is there to tighten the watch in the holder. If the parts are getting clamped in the vice, then they're not needed! Ha HA!

And I happen to have a spare holder, so let's use that... whip it's nutty bolty springy bits off... 

ZGUTWD.jpg 

Hey presto! The perfect omni-angle watch holder.

ZGUCxY.jpg

ZGUtsE.jpg

Also pictured is yet another addition to my giant drill press for drilling tiny things - an LED ring light cum magnifying glass on a bendy stalk, so I can actually see the tiny holes I'm drilling.

ZGUpXs.jpg

This setup for drilling tiny holes in things is now officially the dog's doo-dahs. As long as I continue needing to drill tiny holes in things for the next 30 years or so, it will all have been a worthwhile investment.

• Like 3

5teve

That’s a genius idea my friend ,and why your thinking why don’t you spread the two pegs on the movement holder so you get a more triangular clamping force on the case.:D

k4jun
1 hour ago, Redfire1066 said:

ZGUqDc.jpg

Is it from marine vessel engine?

• Like 1

Popperini
30 minutes ago, 5teve said:

That’s a genius idea my friend ,and why your thinking why don’t you spread the two pegs on the movement holder so you get a more triangular clamping force on the case.:D

These movement holders are pretty crap (they're the ones supplied in the £10 watchsmith toolkit containing everything you need to become a top watch surgeon) and this one has exposed metal threaded cylinders on it that the pegs screw into - I didn't want the gold bezel rubbing on the metal so I kept the pins in the centre positions.  Although I'll probably fiddle with it some more now it's no longer being controlled by the centre bolt, which really didn't hold the watch effectively. I may also switch it for the other movement holder, as it doesn't have the same metal threaded holes. 

Glaude
19 hours ago, Popperini said:

What’s this with reference to Glaude? I’m intrigued... :) 

There was a Rolex Autorized repairer near where I live that wouldn't even have noticed anything wrong with this watch and would have surely took it in to fix your problem as he would have with a genuine watch, but they closed probably because of how clueless they were (and they were not the type of repairer who send the watch back to Rolex while pretending they are fixing it in house)

• Like 1

Popperini
11 hours ago, Glaude said:

There was a Rolex Autorized repairer near where I live that wouldn't even have noticed anything wrong with this watch and would have surely took it in to fix your problem as he would have with a genuine watch, but they closed probably because of how clueless they were (and they were not the type of repairer who send the watch back to Rolex while pretending they are fixing it in house)

Well damn... Sounds like a crying shame that they closed!

hasel5

I know you think that the way forward but that's the wrong case you have set in the jaws 

• Like 1

Redfire1066

@k4jun   . ..  Yep,  ...   .. :D . ..   it is a  Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C    .. .  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wärtsilä-Sulzer_RTA96-C

• Like 2

deju
1 hour ago, hasel5 said:

I know you think that the way forward but that's the wrong case you have set in the jaws 

Shhhhh we are all seeing how long it takes for him to spot 

Popperini
1 hour ago, Redfire1066 said:

@k4jun   . ..  Yep,  ...   .. :D . ..   it is a  Wärtsilä-Sulzer RTA96-C    .. .  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wärtsilä-Sulzer_RTA96-C

And it displaces 1828.7 litres... per cylinder. Phwoooar!

• Like 1

Popperini
1 hour ago, hasel5 said:

I keep that case lying by the drill press at all times, as a reminder to take things steady. It's the first case I wrecked while trying to drill out the lug holes for 2mm springbars.

Bloody 2mm springbars...

Intresting
6 hours ago, Redfire1066 said:

ZGUqDc.jpg

is that a giant camshaft?

• Like 1