Cap'n

Omega Planet Ocean Americas Cup 2021 - VSF

Cap'n

For those of you that don't know the watch, it's one of a few 'Specials Edition' watches made for the 36th America's Cup (it's a sailing event if you didn't already know), held in Auckland New Zealand in 2021. Omega were also a sponsor of the Kiwi boat that won the cup and the British boat skippered by Ben Ainslie, so the chaps on board were all brandishing Omega's. Omega made 2 watches for the event - the one I'm reviewing here and a chrono version (haven't seen a rep of that available yet). It was limited to 2021 pieces and surprisingly you can still pick them up. Panerai also made some cracking watches for this event but aren't as 'pretty' as the Omega IMHO.

I was originally supposed to be in New Zealand to witness the finals, but Covid put paid to that. With the money saved I had been contemplating buying the gen version and then saw @Pesman put one up M2M. Gave me a chance to TBYB, so snatched his hand off. When it arrived I loved the watch and thought why not keep this and use the money for another gen on my wishlist - double bonus! 

Anyway, quick review for you and my thoughts on the comparison between rep and gen (couple of tiny tells I can spot).

BA808ADB-5251-4E29-BEE8-A0AA214D842E.jpg

The watch is a 43.5mm face (44mm is a real sweet spot for me), although this does feel as though it wears a little smaller. It features a  ceramic bezel which has the typical 10 minute countdown for a yacht race start - ironically not used in the AC! The bezel is unidirectional, as you'd expect, and has a nice firm click to it. 

The face is a nice bright white ceramic dial (almost pearlised) with white ,markers accented with a blue surround which just pings in the sun. They really do catch the light well. There are red markers at 12, 6 & 9 with a date at 3. This is where the first two tells come in. In normal indoor light the red is fine, but in bright sunlight they pale slightly and almost look orange. The second tell is the red numbers should have the same blue accent around them, but they've missed it. Given how much effort they've put into the movement (more later) I'm gobsmacked they missed this. The watch as a whole really does sparkle in the sun though.

FE41130-C-9-C0-F-44-D6-A7-B0-A8-FE7508-B

This has a fantastically decorated modified movement in it. It's just a shame you can't see it very well through the AC logo'd back. It features the PO quick change of the hour hand and so far has been keeping great time - haven't formally measured it, but my guess is approx -10secs per day (my gen Seamaster wasn't managing that before it went off for service!). The sweep on the second hand, which features the Americas Cup trophy one one end, is super smooth.  

AFF540-E6-5-B56-421-D-B7-B0-39782-F8-AE9

Dial printing is nice and crisp with all the right markings and the date wheel lines up nicely. The lume is very accurate on this as well, with the typical Omega different colouring for hour and minute hands (should add a lume shot at this point but haven't taken one yet!). 

Onto the strap, this is where tell number 3 comes for me. The strap is rubber on these, but is made to look like a nylon strap. It's a really nice comfy fit, and the markings inside are accurate. the stainless steel fold over clasp is well machined and operates as it should (they are a fiddly bugger on these to set the strap length though!). Nice colour combo of red and blue with white stitching (matches the AC36 colours), however on the rep the detail of the 'nylon' it isn't quite there - I may be tempted to try and source a gen strap if I keep this watch longer term (which is highly likely).

AD13-E8-BA-1823-4895-8-F54-B48-E5-C116-F    

Overall this is another great Omega to come out of VSF. I've already had quite a few compliments on it, particularly from those who look at a watch aesthetically and don't judge the detail like we do. The other bonus is HWMBO likes it - usually I get the, where does your taste disappear to when you look at a watch! For me the biggest miss is the blue detailing around the numbers, and with that I'd be saying almost perfect. 

Couple more pics for you to enjoy to finish off with. 

53-FCB311-34-A8-4-E6-D-B40-A-531052093-F   BC50337-A-A54-A-4-B6-D-8-E3-F-8522-B456-

• Like 3

GingerApple
22 minutes ago, Cap'n said:

The other bonus is HWMBO likes it.

Is this a coming out party!!?! Congratulations!!!! So I guess it's true what they say about sailors.

Nice watch too :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Cap'n
14 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Is this a coming out party!!?! Congratulations!!!! So I guess it's true what they say about sailors.

Nice watch too :thumbsup2:

Classic quote from her this weekend as she was spending my hard earned on some new patio furniture;

Me: I wear the trousers in this family........

Wifey: Yes, but I control the zipper!

She got the rattan furniture!! 

• Like 2

Pesman

Great review and only emphasises my seller's remorse.

I also wondered why they missed the blue outline on the numbers given the trouble they went to with the rest of it and the likely low sell numbers.

I am hopeful of a V2 with corrected numbers but doubt I will be that lucky.

I would also be interested to see how much crisper the gen nylon detailing is on the strap.

Great watch Great review and glad it is being worn in the correct context now!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cap'n

So worn this solidly now since it's arrival 11 days ago - has lost 1 minute 17 seconds - 7 seconds per day - not bad for a rep! 

Edit: Just realised it's 13 days since I got it - this thread was 11 days ago - 5.9 seconds per day!!

Pesman

That's virtually COSC isn't it?

And great to note the solid wear...can't remember when I lat wore the same watch for 7 hours let alone 7 days!

Cap'n
22 minutes ago, Pesman said:

That's virtually COSC isn't it?

And great to note the solid wear...can't remember when I lat wore the same watch for 7 hours let alone 7 days!

Yep          -4/+6 seconds in the first 10 days!  I wouldn't swear to it (I could be less lazy and look on Google) but think it's more than that afterwards.  

Cap'n

The ceramic dial on this is friggin awesome! 
79-CD6693-C558-4507-9-B49-0-ECFC8-EB9245

115-A6-E41-9-AF5-4-C64-A097-94953-D273-A

• Like 1

Shawnny

I need this in my life. And, I’m going to Auckland next February, as long as they open the island back up by then. 

Shawnny

After doing some research, it appears not all gens have blue underneath the red numbers. 

Pesman
After doing some research, it appears not all gens have blue underneath the red numbers. 

Bit confused as this video clearly shows blue outline on numbers...also strap looks rubber not nylon so maybe rep is right....SELLERS REMORSE!!!!

• Like 1

tribefan

I have the gate version of this and it is pretty close to NWBIVSF. This one is a beauty and the biggest difference I can spot is the quality of the band is much better, the gate one has frayed in a couple of spots, and the caseback edges are different shape. The decorated 21J movement is actually pretty nice but the PR is not great. Obviously it does not have the hour hand quick set function. But of all the gate watches I've bought, this is one I've kept and won't sell.

I have the VSF Ryder Cup and the fit and quality of the band and watch is noticeably higher than this, and it has the hour hand quick set, but for the dough, if you cannot find the VSF and can still track down a gate version, it is one of the better low end reps.

j5QM18.jpg

• Like 1

Cap'n

I looked at the gate versions - the blue looked a little out to me as well but as you say great bang for your buck - interesting that the strap is fraying - on the gen (and the VSF version) the strap is rubber, not nylon so can't fray. 

Still gets plenty of wear - can't see me parting with this one. 

Pesman
I have the gate version of this and it is pretty close to NWBIVSF. This one is a beauty and the biggest difference I can spot is the quality of the band is much better, the gate one has frayed in a couple of spots, and the caseback edges are different shape. The decorated 21J movement is actually pretty nice but the PR is not great. Obviously it does not have the hour hand quick set function. But of all the gate watches I've bought, this is one I've kept and won't sell.
I have the VSF Ryder Cup and the fit and quality of the band and watch is noticeably higher than this, and it has the hour hand quick set, but for the dough, if you cannot find the VSF and can still track down a gate version, it is one of the better low end reps.
j5QM18.jpg

Looks great do you have a link?

• Like 1

tribefan

@Pesman

The link I bought on is long gone. I would message jason007 and see if they can still get it.

MrUnease

Notice the second hand tail...

j5poat.jpg

Pesman
[mention=44524]Pesman[/mention]
The link I bought on is long gone. I would message jason007 and see if they can still get it.
No worries...I'm hunting a 007 OHMSS at the minute....

Shawnny
On 05/09/2021 at 01:34, Pesman said:

Bit confused as this video clearly shows blue outline on numbers...also strap looks rubber not nylon so maybe rep is right....SELLERS REMORSE!!!!

The example in hand, absolutely has no blue under any on the four applied numbers. I’ve taken snippets from the video, zoomed in and nothing. I’ve cast the video to a 60 inch TV and still nothing.  The red numbers are also off, compared to the gen. Also, the stitching is very sloppy on the in hand unit in the video. The gen is not like that.

Shawnny
On 05/09/2021 at 01:34, Pesman said:

You can clearly see it in this video. Along with very clean stitching.

Pesman

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but here is freeze frame from that video at full res.... ...blue outlines on numbers...agree gen strap is great...but then it should be!..1a5965315c36f14f5753f8e42100dc9c.jpg

It's just making me want a gen!

sunnydale

It is a great rep. Loving mine, got it serviced and running now +2 sec a day very stable. Would love to see a gen rep comparison.

jWPuuS.jpg

Shawnny
19 hours ago, sunnydale said:

It is a great rep. Loving mine, got it serviced and running now +2 sec a day very stable. Would love to see a gen rep comparison.

jWPuuS.jpg

Does yours have blue under the applied numbers, like the gen? It looks to me that it doesn’t. 

Shawnny
On 06/09/2021 at 09:56, Pesman said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but here is freeze frame from that video at full res.... ...blue outlines on numbers...agree gen strap is great...but then it should be!..1a5965315c36f14f5753f8e42100dc9c.jpg

It's just making me want a gen!

That picture looks like it’s taken from the gen video I posted. Even the time is exactly the same.

tonyh7

Vsf omega’s are the nuts. I have the new bond version, and also an Aqua terra. Both have excellent power reserves, and both run at around +5 a day. Top notch for a clone movement. If I have a complaint it’s that the aqua terra is too accurate, replicating the gen movement date quickset, which I find a pain!

Shawnny

Where can they be purchased at. Thanks!