Shawnny

IWC gold plated rep?

Shawnny

I’m considering buying a rep IWC Gold plated watch that comes from the YLF factory.  What is your guys experience with gold plated reps? Does the gold plate eventually wear off? Should I just stay away from gold plated reps? Or move forward with the purchase?  Is there a better factory to buy a gold plated IWC from? Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Shawnny

Aramis2288
I’m considering buying a rep IWC Gold plated watch that comes from the YLF factory.  What is your guys experience with gold plated reps? Does the gold plate eventually wear off? Should I just stay away from gold plated reps? Or move forward with the purchase?  Is there a better factory to buy a gold plated IWC from? Thanks for any advice.
As every surface coating it will wear off at some point. It all depends on the quality of coating, the way you treat the watch and how often you wear it. I would not recommend a full gold rep to be your daily beater.

On the other hand even if it wears off you can always costom gold plate it again. Not a cheap thing but certainly good.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

GenTLe

I asked once here (Italy) the cost of gold plating a watch. Apart the cost of disassembly to have bare case parts and crown, it was around 50€ for a good job and if you want a top one with a 10 micron thickness it was around 120€

Shawnny
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

I asked once here (Italy) the cost of gold plating a watch. Apart the cost of disassembly to have bare case parts and crown, it was around 50€ for a good job and if you want a top one with a 10 micron thickness it was around 120€

That’s a lot cheaper then I imagined it would be.

FunnyStarSystem

I have a ZF IWC Portuguese rep in rose gold, six or seven years now - absolutely perfect condition. I don't wear it very often, but when I do I wipe it clean from sweat/skin oils before I put it away. Haven't read anything about factories being better/worse at plating, it seems to come down to the individual models.

Which model are you considering?

They are not gold plated
It’s orange alloy

Aramis2288
I have a ZF IWC Portuguese rep in rose gold, six or seven years now - absolutely perfect condition. I don't wear it very often, but when I do I wipe it clean from sweat/skin oils before I put it away. Haven't read anything about factories being better/worse at plating, it seems to come down to the individual models.

That's what I have been thinking. Even a fairly cheap gold plated jewellery tends to hold up just fine (and usually takes way heavier beating than a watch you are taking care of.

If it is about badly plated watches I heard few stories about noob's YachtMaster in Everose Gold. One guy was claiming that it started misbehaving during his first wear. I guess it all comes down to whether the maker actually used gold and electroplated it or else whether it is some other type of surface coating.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Shawnny
12 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

12 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

It’s a Big Pilot Annual Cal. with a brown dial from YLF. It does have a sapphire back. So, that'll be less of an area to wear through. I haven’t asked if it’s available yet. I’m waiting for a Fifty Fathoms from the dealer. So, I want to see how that goes first. 

• Like 1

alilondon

Any pointers for Portuguese?