JaceyBoy

Best Automatic Movement for time keeping

JaceyBoy

Guys, whats the best movement for automatic movements on Omega's?, my old Noob kept really good time so I want something that is the same?

GenTLe

It's not about the movement, it's about how well that specific one is made and how well it's regulated.

I've got perfect time keeping on Miyota 8205 (low beat) as well as 9015, or asian ETA ones, or 7750s and so on. Even on that headache of movements that are the Rolex clones, after fiddling with 2 of them for more than 1 month to manage to make it to go well.

My suggestion is to use the watch for at least 1 month every day, and then regulate it (in my case I often service them at that point, and therefore they're "broken-in", clean, lubricated and regulated).

JaceyBoy
27 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

It's not about the movement, it's about how well that specific one is made and how well it's regulated.

I've got perfect time keeping on Miyota 8205 (low beat) as well as 9015, or asian ETA ones, or 7750s and so on. Even on that headache of movements that are the Rolex clones, after fiddling with 2 of them for more than 1 month to manage to make it to go well.

My suggestion is to use the watch for at least 1 month every day, and then regulate it (in my case I often service them at that point, and therefore they're "broken-in", clean, lubricated and regulated).

I see, so the watch can actually be changed to make the movement work to the second?

GenTLe
1 hour ago, JaceyBoy said:

I see, so the watch can actually be changed to make the movement work to the second?

Mechanical movements can all be regulated, but forget the "to the second".

There are quartz movements for that.

Mechanical movements, COSC certified (see Rolex) have to follow this certification path: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC so even a brand new, perfectly oiled, "chronometer certified" and manually checked 15k$ Rolex has a daily deviation that has to stay between -4/+6 seconds per day.

Normal movements like Miyota 9015 (premium automatic movement from Citizen) is considered "in specs" with a deviation between -10/+30 s/d and Seiko 4R35 is "in specs" with -35/+45 s/d

You can normally regulate them so that you're around something like -4/+8 s/d (sometimes even better) but very much depends on the quality of base movement, temperatures, level of mainspring charge, quality of lubrication and so on...

• Like 1