GenTLe

Speaking about water resistance values...

GenTLe

Just WOW.

A quartz Pulsar (50€ watch) rated for 100m, capable to resist more than 3000m (300bar), the Vostok instead stopped working at around 600m (but no water inside, probably caseback deformation or plexy that came in contact with the second hand) and cracked the plexy at 1500m

• Like 1

trailboss99

Yeah that's pretty amazing, here's All Things Random doing a tute on oil filling a quartz watch:  

• Like 1

Glaude

Yeah this was discussed in a previous topic here, that video is a prime example of fluid mechanic applied to our hobby. I discovered how easy it is to put oil in a quartz watch to reproduce that, but @GenTLe, what do you think that treatment would do to a mechanical ? Would that prevent the balance wheel from working at all ?

Theduke.williams
2 hours ago, Glaude said:

Yeah this was discussed in a previous topic here, that video is a prime example of fluid mechanic applied to our hobby. I discovered how easy it is to put oil in a quartz watch to reproduce that, but @GenTLe, what do you think that treatment would do to a mechanical ? Would that prevent the balance wheel from working at all ?

Guess that's a no-no, otherwise we'd all be self-servicing our automatic timepeices by rinsing them out with WD40 :D

GenTLe
9 hours ago, Glaude said:

Absolutely :) Consider that some maeson even go to modify the shape of the balance wheel so that it has less resistance to air... 

• Like 1

Glaude
10 hours ago, Theduke.williams said:

Guess that's a no-no, otherwise we'd all be self-servicing our automatic timepeices by rinsing them out with WD40 :D

There was a Youtube video of a guy doing it for fun, can't find it anymore :lol: 

Theduke.williams
12 hours ago, Glaude said:

There was a Youtube video of a guy doing it for fun, can't find it anymore :lol: 

Man, I'd love to see that video.

Looking at some of the servicing threads on this site, and justy how much shite comes out of Chinese rep movements, I'd have been tempted to try it out on some of my lower end reps.

However, I've learned to my own costs that my imagination far exceeds my abilities.

Glaude
22 hours ago, Theduke.williams said:

Man, I'd love to see that video.

It's not this one bellow, but it's another quite fun that I've managed to find

GenTLe
6 hours ago, Glaude said:

It's not this one bellow, but it's another quite fun that I've managed to find

:rofl:

Aramis2288
On 07/05/2021 at 23:34, GenTLe said:

Just WOW.

A quartz Pulsar (50€ watch) rated for 100m, capable to resist more than 3000m (300bar), the Vostok instead stopped working at around 600m (but no water inside, probably caseback deformation or plexy that came in contact with the second hand) and cracked the plexy at 1500m

I think I've seen this one before. It's crazy, ain't it? $50 watch dealing with this sort of pressure! Some time ago I did a reading about Vostok, its history, and the design idea behind it. It's fascinating. Classic Soviet engineering approach - make it simple, make it sturdy, make it indestructible. No overengineering whatsoever. What amazes me a lot is the concept of dynamic water resistance here as opposed to static featured in Swiss watches. The deeper the Vostok goes the more water resistance it gains as the pressure of the water itself seals the watch further and further. That's also the reason why even the modern-day Amphibias still feature elastic plexiglass. It's kind of a living fossil!

Edited by Aramis2288
  • Like 1