Sign in to follow this  
Kaiser

Vintage Seiko

Kaiser

Hi guys,

I was rummaging through an old desk drawer the other day and unearthed this (more or less) vintage Seiko which used to belong to my dad. I used to play with it when I was a kid and hadn't seen it for years, I thought I'd lost it. I think the watch is from the late sixties or early seventies. Anyone know what type this is and if it might be worth anything, apart from sentimental value of course?

Unfortunately the crown is missing and it could do with an extra link or two, any idea if these parts could be sourced?

As far as I can tell the watch appears to be in working order, here's some pics

IMG_1.jpg

IMG_4.jpg

IMG_2.jpg

IMG_3.jpg

IMG_5.jpg

graman

Lovely mate!....get it fixed up!....it's worth it!

Talk to Offshore...he does great stuff with Seiko.........He's hunting down some parts for my '64 world time.....and I have a great Diver from him....

The chrono's a nice one...will look great with a service, and a polish...

flottiglia

Nice find Kaiser !

This a Seiko auto chronograph with the 6139 movement,this model is often called the Pepsi because of the bezel colours.

The bezels usually wear pretty badly but that one looks really good,especially considering the state of the crystal !.

They are quite sought after and often make over $200.

Theres a good market in used parts for them just do a search on the bay for 6139 and it will turn stuff up.Looks like it will be a nice example with a new crystal and hands re-luming.

The other good thing is the bracelet has its original endlinks.These are usually missing.A complete bracelet for these also makes good money.

Can't quite read the serial on your pic but its an early one 1971-2.

Hope that helps

zed4130

very nice mate, i love old seiko's, i regret selling my old 6309,

flottiglia

Heres a stem and crown

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-CROWN-STEM-SEIKO...=item3a64b26536

The day/date is push set from the crown on these,firm push to change day and gentle push to change date.The stem originally would have a little gear on it to turn the inner bezel from the crown.This will be missing but they crop up on Ebay sometimes and just slide over the stem.

The crystal is here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-NOS-CRYSTAL-FIT...=item588e0b5b44

The bezel has to come off to change the crystal and they are sometimes very tight to get back on,you might need a press to do it.

BTW your serial number means the watch was made in January 1972 managed to read it with specs on !

offshore

Crown/stem, crystal, and even a new bracelet are available for that in both new and after market, from quite a few ebay sellers, and a couple of private people known to me.

You do need to cross check pricing as it can vary wildly. For instance, I know of a guy in the UK who has aftermarket crystals for that watch at around $10.00 from memory.

Don't know where you would find seperate links, but new or used bracelets are around.

It will need a service as well by now..just hope you don't need movement bits as these become far more difficult to obtain. i do have a couple of old ones I have sacrificed for parts if you run into any issues....just ask.

Have got a parts list /breakdown for this if required...shoot me the case number.

Offshore.

Kaiser

Thanks a lot for the input guys, great stuff! I may just have this one fixed up

I googled it and found out it was allegedly the first chronograph in space, who would 've thought?

"It is claimed to be the first automatic chronograph worn in space as Col. William Pogue wore one on the Skylab 4 missions in 1973"

Check out the advertising poster, the "All-Man, Man's watch" :wub:

6139-6009-2.jpg

flottiglia

I googled it and found out it was allegedly the first chronograph in space, who would 've thought?

"It is claimed to be the first automatic chronograph worn in space as Col. William Pogue wore one on the Skylab 4 missions in 1973"

6139-6009-2.jpg

Yeah theres some debate about whether the 6139 or i think a Sinn auto chrono was the first in space but i think the general concensus is the Seiko.This movement was also in a very close race with Zenith to be the first auto chrono released on the marketplace.Quite historic watches really.Well worth fixing up this one.

Like the ad you found,not seen that before..

zed4130

6139-6009-2.jpg

Yeah theres some debate about whether the 6139 or i think a Sinn auto chrono was the first in space but i think the general concensus is the Seiko.This movement was also in a very close race with Zenith to be the first auto chrono released on the marketplace.Quite historic watches really.Well worth fixing up this one.

Like the ad you found,not seen that before..

i thought it was the omega speedmaster, you learn something new every day,

flottiglia

The Speedy was handwound cal 861 movement but these were the first auto chronos,otherwise correct Zed !

Edited by flottiglia

jameo210369

Great find flottiglia, looks like your father had great taste in watches.

I hope your project goes well, please keep us up to date.

flottiglia
Great find flottiglia, looks like your father had great taste in watches.

I hope your project goes well, please keep us up to date.

Thanks Jameo,but it aint' mine sadly,OP is Kaiser ! :wub:

Kipper

I love reading these threads guys - great to know there is so much knowledge and help about

I hope this is restored to it's former glory, as it looks a lovely piece - good luck

stolikat

What a great thread!! Awesome!!