Shawnny

RM reps?

Shawnny

What do you guys think about RM reps? They are very complex watches. So, would you guys say they pretty descent or something to stay away from?  Are they good enough, where you’d have to have the gen side by side with the rep to tell any difference? 

Rx4Time

Personally I'm not a fan of RM, genuine or replica.  That said, set your expectations accordingly as your paying under 1k for a replica of a 100k plus genuine depending on the model.   Anyone who knows what it's supposed to be will be able to tell it's a replica with a decent look.

GenTLe

They are well made, but consider that if your surname isn't Mourinho or Nadal and if you don't get down from a customized Lamborghini, none will believe that's a real one in anycase.

• Like 2

Aramis2288
7 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

They are well made, but consider that if your surname isn't Mourinho or Nadal and if you don't get down from a customized Lamborghini, none will believe that's a real one in anycase.

So true, lol. :D

GingerApple

They're great fun!

They're nowhere near as accurate to Gen as a Rolex Submariner say, but then again there's a lot less out there, Gen and Rep, so no one knows and really, who gives a shit anyway!

I now insist on wearing mine when watching F1 :) 

#FullKitWanker

ZsHx4Q.jpg

ZO2R3k.jpg

• Like 2

Cap'n
20 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

They're great fun!

They're nowhere near as accurate to Gen as a Rolex Submariner say, but then again there's a lot less out there, Gen and Rep, so no one knows and really, who gives a shit anyway!

#FullKitWanker

ZsHx4Q.jpg

ZO2R3k.jpg

I don't generally like RM watches (real or rep) but that top one on the Black strap is very nice (although does remind me somewhat off a CIGA Design watch :D)

Intresting
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

yep. One can alight from a Taxi (cab?) in a Tudor or Omega, or even a Rollie nobody baits an eyelid.   Wearing an RM?   you get immediately classified as a wannabe wanker.   Won't bother the Ginge of course,  as its true to his character anyway.....

brang1

can't stand the look, but cannot deny the amazing work involved in them

• Like 2

GingerApple
41 minutes ago, Intresting said:

Wearing an RM?   you get immediately classified as a wannabe wanker.  

Do you know what, the black one remains the watch that has received the most, "Oh that's a nice watch" comments from total strangers. Admittedly we're only talking about three comments ever, but considering I wear it very infrequently, it's quite the strike rate!

Admittedly if I rocked up to Paddock Club wearing it, I imagine the 'what a wanker' thoughts would be numerous, but in normal life, no one has a clue what it is.

• Like 1

jcagara08
42 minutes ago, brang1 said:

can't stand the look, but cannot deny the amazing work involved in them

I am not really familiar with the RM Reps and Gens, is the watch on the video a genuine one? like I said am not familiar with this brand, great clean up by the way.

GingerApple
1 minute ago, jcagara08 said:

is the watch on the video a genuine one?

Yes, Gen.

Chiquita Fanjita
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

They're great fun!

#FullKitWanker

ZsHx4Q.jpg

ZO2R3k.jpg

I've got more into RM recently, and strangely the two I like are the same as yours, the Yas Marina and is the top one the Bubba Watson or just a standard RM55?

As @TheGingerFerret says, fuck it what other people think.  The majority of people have likely never heard of Richard Mille and those that have, have either never seen a real one to tell the difference or mix in circles that us normal plebs don't so won't ever get to see your rep.  The dials are that complicated that from a glance or a view from a distance, you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

• Like 1

deju

@Chiquita Fanjita obviously the only annoy thing thing will be bumping into all the other rich folk in Bears den with them :rofl:

• Like 1

GingerApple
10 hours ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

is the top one the Bubba Watson or just a standard RM55?

Well  when I bought it I thought it was a fantasy model because I couldn't find it on the RM website, but I found it years later and it was some sort of special edition. I forgot what though. Let me see if I can find it again.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/insider-richard-mille-rm055-bubba-watson-limited-edition-white-drive-only-30-pieces-available

Lol, not only RM but a limited edition of 30. I doubt I'll run into that in the wild!!!!!

Update : These are quite pricey in Gen!

ZxVvuR.jpg

Edited by TheGingerFerret
Found it!
  • Like 2

Abe Fromen

I don't have one and never will (rep or gen) but I have been in a RM authorized dealer once for shits and giggles. They treated me and Mrs. Fromen very nicely as I was right up front about being a tire kicker and as a watch guy, curious to see what the horological hoo-haa was about. 

In any event... given the rarity of the brand and the fact that most people think a complicated watch is a smart watch... wear what you like and enjoy it. 

If there's one thing I've learned from years of gen and rep watch wearing, it's that people don't know shit about watches and won't even realize or care what's on your wrist. I know guys who have huge gen watch collections who drive 20 year old shit box cars and live in a tiny apartment because horology is there thing. I know other guys who have expensive gens but are absolutely clueless about the watch they wear, and generally only have them cuz everyone else at the office does, or some such BS. But zero fucks given. 

If someone spots your RM as a rep, the likelihood of being called out is pretty tiny as who, in such hoity-toity company would dare to make a scene? ;) 

And if on the rare occasion you come across someone wearing a gen RM who asks about yours... you can either own up and say it's a rep and make a joke about it, put him on the spot for having a gen and wasting money on a stupid watch when he could have donated a bunch of money to feed starving children in Africa.... orrrr reverse the tables and tell him his is a rep and chastise him for supporting terrorist cells. 

Either way... buy what you like and enjoy. 

• Like 1

Shawnny
13 hours ago, GenTLe said:

What if I’m driving a Roll Royce Cullinan or a Tesla Raodster? Could I pull it off then? 

Shawnny
7 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

I don't have one and never will (rep or gen) but I have been in a RM authorized dealer once for shits and giggles. They treated me and Mrs. Fromen very nicely as I was right up front about being a tire kicker and as a watch guy, curious to see what the horological hoo-haa was about. 

In any event... given the rarity of the brand and the fact that most people think a complicated watch is a smart watch... wear what you like and enjoy it. 

If there's one thing I've learned from years of gen and rep watch wearing, it's that people don't know shit about watches and won't even realize or care what's on your wrist. I know guys who have huge gen watch collections who drive 20 year old shit box cars and live in a tiny apartment because horology is there thing. I know other guys who have expensive gens but are absolutely clueless about the watch they wear, and generally only have them cuz everyone else at the office does, or some such BS. But zero fucks given. 

If someone spots your RM as a rep, the likelihood of being called out is pretty tiny as who, in such hoity-toity company would dare to make a scene? ;) 

And if on the rare occasion you come across someone wearing a gen RM who asks about yours... you can either own up and say it's a rep and make a joke about it, put him on the spot for having a gen and wasting money on a stupid watch when he could have donated a bunch of money to feed starving children in Africa.... orrrr reverse the tables and tell him his is a rep and chastise him for supporting terrorist cells. 

Either way... buy what you like and enjoy. 

That would be funny if someone with a gen asked about their rep, and they said. “Oh God no, I’m not stupid enough to spend that much for a gen”. 

Edited by Shawnny

Shawnny

I find it funny that a couple of people commented that they done like RM watches. And yet, here they are. Very strange! 

Glaude

Given that being a Richard Mille gen owner doesn't mean you are a collector and connoisseur of watches, we are getting really close to no one being able to call you out (if that does matter to you, which it shouldn't). Chances are people being able to call you out with an RM are not your everyday pals !

So I'm quite happy with my rep !

ZxVPIk.jpg

But appart from some RM models, no rep will really ever come close to what we have for Subs

• Like 2

WatchGeek5711

Theres some Reps that are Gen like thin and actually do look very sporty. However unless you live a expensive lifestyle theyll be an instant spot as rep, aint noone riding the bus with an RM or working in a regular job.

Edit: wanted to add that RM call outs are as stated by pps above prolly not likely as you wont really see a gen around that much,  however it can be quite weird. I never been called out by anyone for any watch, wear what makes you comfortable.. might get a rm bubba watson for the gym though

Edited by WatchGeek5711

Chiquita Fanjita
19 hours ago, deju said:

@Chiquita Fanjita obviously the only annoy thing thing will be bumping into all the other rich folk in Bears den with them :rofl:

Nah, one of my bosses stays in Bearsden and wears a fitbit!  It's not all as posh as made out to be.  There are more exclusive areas of the city where you might be able to find an RM.

19 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Well  when I bought it I thought it was a fantasy model because I couldn't find it on the RM website, but I found it years later and it was some sort of special edition. I forgot what though. Let me see if I can find it again.

Edit: Found it!

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/insider-richard-mille-rm055-bubba-watson-limited-edition-white-drive-only-30-pieces-available

Lol, not only RM but a limited edition of 30. I doubt I'll run into that in the wild!!!!!

Update : These are quite pricey in Gen!

ZxVvuR.jpg

Thought it was the Bubba Watson.  They aren't the cheapest watch out there, mind you I don't think there is such a thing as a cheap RM :lol: 

Since you have the two models I like, maybe your taste isn't too bad after all :D 

10 hours ago, Glaude said:

ZxVPIk.jpg

That looks good as well on the red strap.

Rokerite

I might be a bit old fashioned here but I like to be able to actually read the time on a watch with a quick glance. :D

GingerApple
29 minutes ago, Rokerite said:

I might be a bit old fashioned here but I like to be able to actually read the time on a watch with a quick glance. :D

That's what your phone is for you bellend!

I'm actually getting reallybad at this. I often find half way through the day that I've yet to even wind/set my watch!

Rokerite
8 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

That's what your phone is for you bellend!

I'm actually getting reallybad at this. I often find half way through the day that I've yet to even wind/set my watch!

That's what your bellend is for 

• Like 1

GingerApple
Just now, Rokerite said:

That's what your bellend is for 

I knew I'd been doing it wrong!