Cap'n

Increased import charges from Europe starting early????

Cap'n

Had a few deliveries from Germany and Spain recently with no issues and then today - Bang, customs letter drops on the doormat for some clothes being sent to me from Germany - order value was €140 so can only assume the declared value on the import form was wrong as it should have come under the £135 threshold. Wanted an extra £58 in customs and VAT fees.

Needless to say I rejected the delivery and sent it back to Germany for a refund, but does make me wonder if they are gearing up for the further customs changes in July - are the days of buying in Europe now over?  

BadApple

Depends what they put on their paperwork 

GingerApple

Have any of those who voted for Brexit changed their minds thereafter? We seem to be setting new records for the numbers of illegal immigrants entering the country almost daily so it definitely  hasn't helped one of 'Vote Leave's' major campaign points. And I'm fairly sure the NHS aren't getting an extra £350 million a week.

• Like 5

deju
16 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Have any of those who voted for Brexit changed their minds thereafter? We seem to be setting new records for the numbers if illegal immigrants entering the country almost daily so it definitely  hasn't helped one of 'Vote Leave's' major campaign points. And I'm fairly sure the NHS aren't getting an extra £350 million a week.

Stupid wankers, funny you don’t speak to anyone that voted to leave now.... 

Your fish and chips in a newspaper again? No? Get it right up ye!!! 

@Cap'n this topic may lead to scare mongering. I’d re evaluate the title as you may scare noobs to panic 

There is no recent lockdown we have had plenty of topics on this.

When we left the EU there were going to be changes to how business with the EU is done and charges on imports. 

You are being taxed on goods entering the country, they are not trying to seize goods etc. The risks on seizures is as usual.... Because guess what China was never in the EU either. 

Cap'n
11 minutes ago, deju said:

Stupid wankers, funny you don’t speak to anyone that voted to leave now.... 

Your fish and chips in a newspaper again? No? Get it right up ye!!! 

@Cap'n this topic may lead to scare mongering. I’d re evaluate the title as you may scare noobs to panic 

There is no recent lockdown we have had plenty of topics on this.

When we left the EU there were going to be changes to how business with the EU is done and charges on imports. 

You are being taxed on goods entering the country, they are not trying to seize goods etc. The risks on seizures is as usual.... Because guess what China was never in the EU either. 

Happy to change the title, however as I stated already had plenty of stuff from Europe this year with no import charges (including some over the threshold!). This is the first one and just seems coincidental that there are further changes coming into force in July and it's happened now - I haven't seen the import label as I just said "partake in sex and travel", so it's possible/likely it was filled in incorrectly, but I aint paying an extra £60, especially when it should be under the threshold at present. 

Cap'n
30 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Have any of those who voted for Brexit changed their minds thereafter? We seem to be setting new records for the numbers of illegal immigrants entering the country almost daily so it definitely  hasn't helped one of 'Vote Leave's' major campaign points. And I'm fairly sure the NHS aren't getting an extra £350 million a week.

Politics on a watch forum - controversial - but then when has that ever stopped you!! Well given I voted the other way it just confirms I was right :balls:

deju

Just been lucky mate it’s  all pretty much from when they said it would start, I believe that included a grace period for things to adjust. 

It’s all a big pain in the arse and extra paperwork for us on returning goods to EU for business. 

Like importing from China if forms and invoice aren’t filled correctly they pump you, especially if shipping wasn’t a stated value on the invoice... they make it up, I swear they base it on a business class flight haha. 

say it was under the circa £130, you have to have paid for the import duty at the time of purchase. I’d imagine that’s why you have been hit. 

I’ve no doubt an agreement will be made at some point for free trade again. 

until then it will be a roll of the dice getting stuff without a customs charge. 

GingerApple

:rofl: Very true @Cap'n

I am genuinely interested though - I'm not trying to shit stir (on this rare occasion). I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those who voted Leave and are happy with their vote (and why) and also those who voted Leave, but are no longer happy.

Aidan1927

I voted Brexit and am even more convinced than ever I did the right thing paticularly in view of the utterly incompetent roll out of the vacine in the EU run by the completely incompetent UVL. If European countries are charging import duty stuff I will simply stop buying stuff from the EU.

deju
8 minutes ago, Aidan1927 said:

I voted Brexit and am even more convinced than ever I did the right thing paticularly in view of the utterly incompetent roll out of the vacine in the EU run by the completely incompetent UVL. If European countries are charging import duty stuff I will simply stop buying stuff from the EU.

I’d like to evolve from your mentioning the way in which the UK was able to avoid the red tape and blatant political games played by the EU.... which I would tend to agree it did.

If there was a 3rd Option to renegotiate the terms of membership, ultimately stripping back the Union to it’s original basic concept.... would you have voted differently ?

• Like 1

onzenuub
21 minutes ago, Aidan1927 said:

If European countries are charging import duty stuff I will simply stop buying stuff from the EU.

:rofl: :rofl: :dingleberry-nemesis:

• Like 3

Jibuti
1 hour ago, onzenuub said:

If European countries are charging import duty stuff I will simply stop buying stuff from the EU.

EVERY country in the world will be charging you import duty stuff. in short time you will be buying-if you want strictly localy-only salad and Hillman Hunter.

edit: it was Aidan1927 quoted and not Onze, sorry mate.

• Like 2

donkacper

Yeah, you already had duties for purchases from all over the world and now you've added EU countries as well, so I guess you will be buying everything local now?

Wysłane z mojego motorola edge przy użyciu Tapatalka

• Like 3

onzenuub
1 hour ago, donkacper said:

fc4bd1a93d2eda7fbafb84e6d85c3a91.jpg

Jibuti
18 minutes ago, onzenuub said:

fc4bd1a93d2eda7fbafb84e6d85c3a91.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn Motorola Edge met Tapatalk

onzenuub
23 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

Verzonden vanaf mijn Motorola Edge met Tapatalk

Is you donkacper? Because you just said that it was send from your Motorola Edge using Tapatalk.

Jibuti
6 minutes ago, onzenuub said:

Is you donkacper? Because you just said that it was send from your Motorola Edge using Tapatalk.

I only translated.... but...

I could be donkacper. and so could be my wife.

Steam Community :: :: Im Brian and so is my wife

• Like 1

black263

Surely, you should be buying free of EU tax, as it's for export from the EU.  You then pay UK duty and tax on your purchase as it's an import. So, there shouldn't be a massive difference.

• Like 1

inthemire

Yes but no but............

"We have taken back control of our borders". Except now we don't have control of the Channel.

No matter that we always had control over our borders. When I last looked at an atlas, the UK was an island and, as far as I remember, the UK was never a member of Schengen. During the years the UK was a member of the EU, every single person who arrived in the UK  was subject to immigration control. EU nationals always had to prove their identity and nationality.

We are all human beings with the same hopes and fears. Nationality is a pure accident of birth.

The imposition of UK import taxes is the direct result of leaving the EU. 

And don't get me started on everything else we've lost since 1st January 2021.

Plus the fishing industry sold down the river, plus the trade deals which will put substandard food from overseas on supermarket shelves.

And the NHS will never get the promised £350 million per week. T

• Like 1

GingerApple
7 hours ago, Aidan1927 said:

I voted Brexit and am even more convinced than ever I did the right thing paticularly in view of the utterly incompetent roll out of the vacine in the EU run by the completely incompetent UVL. 

Thanks for poking your head above the parapet, good to hear the opposing view :thumbsup2:

I can't agree with you though. Although the Leave politicians within Government tried to portray the vaccine roll out as being a success because of Brexit, it's widely accepted that the UK could have done everything identically even if they'd remained in the EU.

For eg, this website was praising the UK vaccine roll out (which I agree was good), but went on to say the following:

ZxVNOK.png
ZxVEj8.png

• Like 1

tribefan

"They decided to for political and technical reasons, not legal ones"

That is the EU in a nutshell, It's a technocracy. And that is why there could have never been a negotiated change of membership terms. There is no way the EU would allow any one member state to change membership terms. You are in or out, and if you are in, you fight through the red tape with politics.

GenTLe
15 hours ago, Aidan1927 said:

:rofl:
YOu pay taxes imposed by YOUR country over goods coming from outside. It's not EU that is putting taxes on these.

But yeah, you can always but internals products which are... Which are... Well... Does UK actually produce anything?

• Like 4

donkacper
YOu pay taxes imposed by YOUR country over goods coming from outside. It's not EU that is putting taxes on these.
But yeah, you can always but internals products which are... Which are... Well... Does UK actually produce anything?
Ouch.... :)

deju
8 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Thanks for poking your head above the parapet, good to hear the opposing view :thumbsup2:

I can't agree with you though. Although the Leave politicians within Government tried to portray the vaccine roll out as being a success because of Brexit, it's widely accepted that the UK could have done everything identically even if they'd remained in the EU.

For eg, this website was praising the UK vaccine roll out (which I agree was good), but went on to say the following:

ZxVNOK.png
ZxVEj8.png

Stop Teh screenshots! 

34 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

I have whisky fucker :lol: 

donkacper
I have whisky fucker  
Fortunately I prefer the Irish ones :)