tslims99

Removing Stubborn/Stuck Links

tslims99

Hello all,

Does anyone have a tried and true method for removing the screws on a Sub bracelet that simply won't come out (specifically ZZF)? I popped the first one out no problem but have tried two others and no dice. I have tried soaking in WD-40 for a few hours and even took it to a trusted jeweler today. He had six imprints on the palm of his hands from trying with his screwdriver before he gave up. He said that this is the third "after market Rolex" that he has seen in the last few months with screws that won't come out of the links. 

I don't want to continue as the screws already have some signs of damage (fortunately the bracelet didn't scratch through all of this). I am stuck, so any help will be taken with kind appreciation. I really don't want to ship this thing back to China for a repair/link removal. It's a fine looking watch otherwise. Cheers!

NCRich

I would ask @Popperini .  He seems to have the corner on technical solutions round these parts.  :lol:

Heat it up with either a butane lighter or a gas stove light.  That will usually loosen it.  WD 40 is not a penetrant.  You would need something like PB Blaster to penetrate.

• Like 3

Popperini

Drill press, followed by laser welding.

Once that fails, stick it on a NATO. 

• Like 1

BoobBandit
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

I would ask @Popperini .  He seems to have the corner on technical solutions round these parts.  :lol:

Heat it up with either a butane lighter or a gas stove light.  That will usually loosen it.  WD 40 is not a penetrant.  You would need something like PB Blaster to penetrate.

As NCRich mentioned, you need a penetrant, not a lubricant, they may be held in position with a few drops of some epoxy compound. Loctite is a common brand used in America. 

once cleared of the epoxy compound and removed , if your screws are stripped (likely from the sound of it), buy a good Bergeron screwdriver and get yourself a bracelet kit box that includes different gauge bracelet link screws for replacement. Should be around 40 bucks for everything. 

good luck. Welcome to rep repair 101! :B):

Edited by BoobBandit

tslims99

Hello all! UPDATE...

I went to Lowe's and got a precision screwdriver set that included a 1.6 mm with a nice sturdy handle...popped it right out :Party: 

Sometimes you just need the right tools. I think the jeweler that I went to needs to make a stop on the way home. He seriously had ring-shaped indentations on his palm from trying as hard as I was yesterday. 

Photos of the new bugger to come...

• Like 1

Popperini

And this is why I recently stopped being a tool cheapskate and invested in a full set of Horotec screwdrivers.

Now I'm a tool with expensive screwdrivers.

• Like 1

BravoDelta
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

Now I'm a tool with expensive screwdrivers.

:lmao:

Flinnt

That’s always the first step, get a screwdriver that fits properly. Well, maybe after the drill press and laser welder. 

GingerApple
5 hours ago, NCRich said:

WD 40 is not a penetrant. 

It's not designed to be, but like most things, it can be made to be. 

Hamsters for instance. You wouldn't think they were penetrants, but Junior's trained his to penetrate elbow deep. 

• Like 1

Glaude
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

It's not designed to be, but like most things, it can be made to be. 

Hamsters for instance. You wouldn't think they were penetrants, but Junior's trained his to penetrate elbow deep. 

Following this example, how far did you got your WD40 ? I wasn't able to pass 10cm

• Like 1

tribefan

I have some decent jewelers screwdrivers with multiple sized tips, but gotta say, my go to tool for stuck bracelet screws is the cheapo plastic handled screwdriver that comes in $1 eyeglass repair kits. It is the perfect size for bracelet screws and I can get a lotta leverage with it.

Theduke.williams
1 hour ago, tribefan said:

I have some decent jewelers screwdrivers with multiple sized tips, but gotta say, my go to tool for stuck bracelet screws is the cheapo plastic handled screwdriver that comes in $1 eyeglass repair kits. It is the perfect size for bracelet screws and I can get a lotta leverage with it.

+100%

The best screwdriver I've owned for removing bracelet screws came with a mobile phone repair kit for peanuts off ebay

I guess you need the blade to be a precision fit in the slot to prevent damage and maximise the turning effort!

In all fairness, I haven't spent mega bucks on a Burgeon set - but then I haven't needed to!