Shawnny

What rep watch to take to Mount Everest.

Shawnny

I’m going to Mount Everest in 2023. I’m trying to figure out what rep watch would be suitable for the trip. I’m not to worried about durability.  Although, Everest is difficult, realistically it will be under layers of warm clothes and it shouldn’t get banged around much. I guess it would be more of a symbolic and something to always have that made the trip with me, type of choice. The only watch brand I truly dislike is Rolex. What do you guys think a good choice would be? 

Flinnt

I’d be tempted to take something like a gen Seiko Explorer. Something which is going to become a memento may as well be gen so it’s easy to make it last a lifetime or 2. 
However if it was me, the watch would only make it 200m past base camp and I’m not even talking elevation. 
Kudos for being able to take on such an expedition. 

Rx4Time

Probably consider something with a HEV to prevent overpressure and the crystal popping out as you ascend to higher elevations... personally I'd wear my pelagos.   I look forward to the wristies from that excursion!  

• Like 1

brang1

only a gen on a trip like that- G-Shock or the like

• Like 2

Piccolo

Are you going up top or is it a base camp trek? Are you going to do (or have already done) some 6k+ and any other 8k+ peaks for training?

Wear something on your practice climbs and work out what does and doesn’t get in the way.  At that height the last thing you want is to be thinking about is what’s on your wrist unless it’s helping you. 

I’d personally go with a G Shock, or a Garmin.  Though I’ve worn a Hulk when climbing because I forgot that’s what I had on when I left… :D  HRM data can be pretty useful at times, and a record of the ascent/descent might be fun to look at after you’re down.  Metal bracelet can get uncomfortable and cold! 

Good luck and hope you enjoy it when you get there, the Himalayas are stunning and the people are awesome..!

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem

I watch a lot of mountaineering docs and I recall pausing one to figure out what Russel Brice was wearing on his wrist (legendary expedition leader) - it was a Tissot T-touch in titanium with altimeter and barometer, etc. I doubt it was a branding deal because I didn't see Tissot anywhere else in the series and it wasn't easy to see, so that's a pretty big non-endorsement endorsement from Russel, King of Everest! It was this exact model.

This was the documentary series, definitely worth a watch.

I wouldn't take a rep up there, Everest is still serious stuff with plenty of mortality and if your body gets left behind like "Green Boots", they might name you "Phoney Rolex" or something undignified in perpetuity. :D

• Like 2

Pesman

Totally agree gen G-shock all the way...or ask Bremont nicely and they will probably chuck you one for a nice extreme 'standing in the queue for the summit' shot...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Pesman
I watch a lot of mountaineering docs and I recall pausing one to figure out what Russel Brice was wearing on his wrist (legendary expedition leader) - it was a Tissot T-touch in titanium with altimeter and barometer, etc. I doubt it was a branding deal because I didn't see Tissot anywhere else in the series and it wasn't easy to see, so that's a pretty big non-endorsement endorsement from Russel, King of Everest! It was this exact model.
This was the documentary series, definitely worth a watch.
I wouldn't take a rep up there, Everest is still serious stuff with plenty of mortality and if your body gets left behind like "Green Boots", they might name you "Phoney Rolex" or something undignified in perpetuity. 

Great recommendation and you will pick one up for rep prices...an altimeter shot on the summit would be very cool...although not sure you get long ....

deju

Pffftt…. 

I’d take my Polar Explorer 2 because It’s in the name innit. 

Aramis2288

Yup. Polar Explorer 2 totally. I cannot see any other option being viable here. :D

Swag over your chances of survival!

Also, I need to point out that the sole fact that you are taking a rep to Mt. Everest is uber cool - a symbolic middle finger to the gen industry, an ultimate insult :Applause:.

Edited by Aramis2288

jowill923
On 07/06/2021 at 04:19, Shawnny said:

I’m going to Mount Everest in 2023. I’m trying to figure out what rep watch would be suitable for the trip. I’m not to worried about durability.  Although, Everest is difficult, realistically it will be under layers of warm clothes and it shouldn’t get banged around much. I guess it would be more of a symbolic and something to always have that made the trip with me, type of choice. The only watch brand I truly dislike is Rolex. What do you guys think a good choice would be? 

Definitely feel like a gen is the route to go on this one! I'll echo what many above me have said though, can't go wrong with an Explorer seeing how it was the first watch up there! (I think?)

rusky27

Garmin tactix or similar with GPS mapping in case you get lost handy in a white out to follow your steps back. 

Edited by rusky27

SteveA

I think the first watch on top of the world was a Smiths special edition for that expedition known as an A409 based on the A404 which you can pick up for rep prices.Although Rolex claimed the victory as theirs it wasn't

https://www.outdoorjournal.com/featured/opinion-editorial/rolex-vs-smiths-which-watch-summited-everest-in-1953-putting-a-controversy-to-rest/

Edited by SteveA
  • Like 1

Cap'n
6 hours ago, deju said:

Pffftt…. 

I’d take my Polar Explorer 2 because It’s in the name innit. 

Yep - that would have been my choice as well if it had to be a rep, but in reality I'd prefer to take a gen - Seiko or Bremont perhaps. 

deju

Exactly!!!  

ZVFa41.jpg

Zarbus
On 06/06/2021 at 21:06, Flinnt said:

I’d be tempted to take something like a gen Seiko Explorer. Something which is going to become a memento may as well be gen so it’s easy to make it last a lifetime or 2. 
However if it was me, the watch would only make it 200m past base camp and I’m not even talking elevation. 
Kudos for being able to take on such an expedition. 

Agreed, it should be a gen. How amazing to be able to share with your grand kids "this is the watch I took to mount everest". Your grand kids may doubt the whole story if they realize the watch is not a gen lol.

I'd take a G-Shock or a seiko alpinist, and if your budget permits maybe a Rolex explorer (I or II), or maybe even a "simple" Oyster Perpetual. We all know that the explorer I story with Sir Edmund Hillary is pure marketing  (and technically the Rolex given to him by Rolex was  not an "explorer" but an Oyster Perpetual).

[Edit: Realized OP dislikes Rolex lol. I'd still consider a watch with a bracelet, for durability during the trip but also to have something more "substantial" to hand over to the next generation :)]

Edited by Zarbus

FunnyStarSystem

I thought I'd throw in this little gem of a doc about conquering an unclimbed peak, and then taking the fast route down in the Pakistani Karakoram - it's partly in French but you can engage the subtitles ~Enjoy!

• Like 1

Abe Fromen

Without question it should be a gen and should absolutely be mechanical. G-shock my sausage-mongering ass. No F'ing way... mechanical and genuine. I'd lend you my JLC master compressor memvox but you'd have to sign an affidavit that I get it back, whether you're dead or alive (and if unrecoverable, your estate pays me fair market value). 

Just trying to help. :)

• Like 1

GenTLe

Something that can resist hard shocks and is light. Hence a Ball in Titanium with the super resistant antishock spring and maybe GMT, date and tritium tubes:

DG2118C-S3C-BE_web.jpgDG3036B-S1C-BK_web.jpg

Glaude

Whatever it is ... something with a big ass strechy strap, because you ain't gonna roll up the sleeves to check the time ...

Khronos

I'd definitely take this:

IMG-20210219-144304.jpg

IMG-20210223-161341.jpg

Garmin Tactix Delta sapphire solar. No competition. 

• Like 1

Pesman
I'd definitely take this:
IMG-20210219-144304.jpg
IMG-20210223-161341.jpg
Garmin Tactix Delta sapphire solar. No competition. 
Looks the part..

• Like 1

Eikos

I'd probably take Panerai Mike Horn. Rep is light and comfortable despite its size and feels very robust. I'm sure gen is much better when it comes to water and shock resistance but not sure it's worth the high price tag.

Zctfo2.jpg

• Like 1