ponzatron

hello from the state Georgia! 114060 questions

ponzatron

figured id say hello here! ive been into watches for a long time and have owned many reps but have never been a member here. My favorite watch ive ever owned was a Noob submariner i bought back when i was in college. i wore that watch every day, i loved it. Until one day i dropped it. The glass cracked, the crown was bent, and the watch stopped working. It was ruined.

I am looking to build the best franken 114060 No-date i can with a budget of $1500 as my first franken watch.

Movement isnt too much of a concern for me, I just want it to be reliable, tell time, and be something i forget about. This is why I’m leaning swiss, but I have no interest in upgrading the movement with gen parts. Mainly im thinking the bezel, crown, and hands.

What base should i start with? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CurioLeo

Get a VSF 114060, drop in a gen bezel and insert , maybe crystal (not really necessary from what I understand of the VSF), gen hands and gen DW and you are done 

Aramis2288

The 114060 is the no-date model (as opposed to 116010 which is one with the date window and cyclops) so the gen Date Wheel will not be necessary.

Crystal does not have the cyclops (which is always a tell to some degree) so I don't really see the reason to swap it. The only very small improvement would be the 'gen' laser-etched crown at 6 o'clock which is extremely small and almost invisible during normal use. Nobody would be able to tell the difference without comparing it to the gen under a huge magnification.

Gen Bezel + Insert is definitely an improvement - the biggest of all.

Hands and perhaps a crown could also do, although again, it's not something you can spot on the hand, so it will come down to how picky you are.

Regarding the factory, you have s options - ZZF V3 or VSF.  Although the generic hype consensus within the community is currently inclined towards the VSF, again, it comes down to your preferences. Both are extremely good reps even OOTB. Personally (and against the consensus), when comparing my ZZF V3 114010 to my VSF 116010LV I like the brushing (finishing), the rehaut (etching and brushing), and the bracelet way more than the VSF. VSF seems to have smoother winding movement, better insert, pearl, and crystal protrusion. Also, if you decide to go for the VSF, try to make sure that the serial number starts from S29. Older versions do have a pretty badly misaligned rahaut.

Currently, you cannot get them so you will have to either wait or nail one on M2M.

• Like 1

BoobBandit
7 hours ago, ponzatron said:

figured id say hello here! ive been into watches for a long time and have owned many reps but have never been a member here. My favorite watch ive ever owned was a Noob submariner i bought back when i was in college. i wore that watch every day, i loved it. Until one day i dropped it. The glass cracked, the crown was bent, and the watch stopped working. It was ruined.

I am looking to build the best franken 114060 No-date i can with a budget of $1500 as my first franken watch.

Movement isnt too much of a concern for me, I just want it to be reliable, tell time, and be something i forget about. This is why I’m leaning swiss, but I have no interest in upgrading the movement with gen parts. Mainly im thinking the bezel, crown, and hands.

What base should i start with? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get BK to mod you one. I bought a NOOB v9 off of him with his standard mods and let me tell you, unless you have a microscope, you’d think it was legit. For all intents and purposes, with Swiss ETA he drops init, it might as well be a genuine Tudor, who until recently used ETA movements in their watches. It sounds like you’re willing to spend a little, so you could upgrade to some better hands, gen dial, gen bezel, guess what, you’ve got yourself a kick ass homemade ‘Tudor’ 

ZVeyGX.jpg ZVen8b.jpg ZVe9Li.jpg ZVe67p.jpg ZVer35.jpg

GingerApple
33 minutes ago, BoobBandit said:

Get BK to mod you one. I bought a NOOB v9 off of him with his standard mods and let me tell you, unless you have a microscope, you'd think it was legit.

Lol.

BoobBandit
6 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Lol.

ok, a strong loupe, maybe not a microscope 

DONT FEED THE GINGERS! ;)

• Like 1

Rokerite
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Lol.

Shush Ginge. These Yanks lap the BK "mods" stuff up. :D

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem

There's nothing wrong with what BK offers, basically he is an added layer of quality control who then sweats the details and drops in gen ETA to boot, plus he's a lovely guy to deal with and ships from California. I will admit however, the most recent offerings straight from the factory have become so good his services are less justifiable these days.  It really comes down to which model you're looking for if his premium is worth it or not.

Welcome @ponzatron, you've already started an argument you troublemaker! :D

tribefan

If you are looking at building it yourself and you already have the skills, or just want to go through the process of having a franken built, then ignore the below.

If it were me, I'd post a WTB thread here and RWI and look for one in the M2M's at both places (especially RWI, that place is franken sub heaven) for the next month or two and you will be way ahead. Be picky and make reasonable, not lowball, offers on anything that fits your criteria.

Otherwise, if you can even order a base watch (and you probably cannot right now), you are looking at 3 weeks to get it, then shopping for the gen parts, then finding a modder, sending it out to them, waiting in their queue, and spending the money on just the labor, which will not be cheap. This  is easily a 3 month process if everything goes perfectly and it 100% will not.

BoobBandit
47 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:
There's nothing wrong with what BK offers, basically he is an added layer of quality control who then sweats the details and drops in gen ETA to boot, plus he's a lovely guy to deal with and ships from California. I will admit however, the most recent offerings straight from the factory have become so good his services are less justifiable these days.  It really comes down to which model you're looking for if his premium is worth it or not.
Welcome [mention=112396]ponzatron[/mention], you've already started an argument you troublemaker!

I mean, I just bought a clone ARF and cracked it open and while beautiful, we’ve already formed ‘a relationship’ . So yeah, the clones look great, are clean, but let’s face it, ‘quirky’is a reality. The ETA movement is a rock. And yes, you’re limited to the watches you can get it in (from BK) , but if you need a subbie, deepsea, or yachtie, you would be buying reliability, yes, an upped layer of QC, and the knowledge any watch Smitty wont shit a brick when he opens it. I’m not here putting lipstick on a pig, I mean the track record does the talking.
It’s not a must, and the prerequisite is your willingness to spend xtra, so don’t shit on the other reps, but don’t call a BK an ‘expensive touch up’ either. Coz there’s one born every minute cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BoobBandit
Shush Ginge. These Yanks lap the BK "mods" stuff up. 

A: I’m not a yank
B: watchu talkin bout Willis?

GingerApple

I've nothing against BK, he seems super reliable and an all round good egg, but personally I see no value anymore (well - next to no value).

The trouble is that the only reps that fit a Gen Swiss ETA, which is of  course a good upgrade, are  generally quite shit compared to the latest greatest standards; the cases look crappy, the inserts are shite, the dial is lousy, the rectangular dial markers horrendous the black hole shocking (Clarks crystal is the only upgrade of his other than the Swiss ETA worth having imo, but even then I prefer VSF) etc etc...

The clone movements are getting so good too. They're normally badly oiled/dirty, but that aside they're really impressive now.

But even if the Gen ETA is great,  any advantage is totally outweighed by the crappy base watch compared to say a new VSF or new Clean Fac (which cost about half a BK btw).

BoobBandit

Oh Ginger Ginger my sweet ginger

*insert Ace Ventura gif laughing ironically 

oh Lord. I do appreciate a good discussion. 

Any one have anything good to discuss?

tribefan

I think if you are looking for a hassle free, reliable watch to wear and keep, then BK is a good choice. If you are looking to sell it and / or trade up, you aren't going to get back the premium paid for it. The market is always going to look at the base model and add upgrades from there, and all those depreciate. Getting labor out of a watch is always pretty difficult.

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

Still waiting for the other 114059 questions. You've only asked one so far, @ponzatron

GingerApple
1 hour ago, BoobBandit said:

oh Lord. I do appreciate a good discussion. 

Any one have anything good to discuss?

You wanna discuss religion!!?! :daffy:

Do not get me started....

BoobBandit
14 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

nah, I vote we wait for the 114059 questions left :chewbacca:

BoobBandit
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

The trouble is that the only reps that fit a Gen Swiss ETA, which is of  course a good upgrade, are  generally quite shit compared to the latest greatest standards; the cases look crappy, the inserts are shite, the dial is lousy, the rectangular dial markers horrendous the black hole shocking (Clarks crystal is the only upgrade of his other than the Swiss ETA worth having imo, but even then I prefer VSF) etc etc...

Are you sure your not on Li at Jtimes' payroll? 

GingerApple
3 minutes ago, BoobBandit said:

Are you sure your not on Li at Jtimes' payroll? 

Have you ever seen me and Li in the same room?

I'll say no more.

BoobBandit

figures

tribefan

Hmmm.........

2826970d7f31266a967541c6cc90ac.jpg

GingerApple
17 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Hmmm.........

2826970d7f31266a967541c6cc90ac.jpg

That's what Junior shoves up his arse to celebrate CNY.

Flinnt
3 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

ZViKQE.jpg

• Like 1

tribefan
17 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

ZViKQE.jpg

That's Friday and Saturday nights. Religion is what you do on Sundays.

Intresting

and yet,  ZZF,  VSF,  ARF,  Noob are not available.  So comments should be prefaced with. "when back in the days when we can get them..."   :)