Titleist

Noob looking for guidance 531 or 111?

Titleist

Hello all hope some of you with way more knowledge could provide some insights.  I know its slim pickings now with the raids but I am looking to purchase by first Rep and am currently between the 111 and 531.  From reading around the forum the 111 is considered a super clone and it seems that the Noob is the way to go but I am absolutely in love with the 531 and I haven't even come across a classification for it yet but from reading definitely not a super clone..  Now I think I saw that VSF makes a 531 and VSF seems to have a good rep in the Rolex world but not so sure its the same Panerai. Am I one the right track leaning towards a Noob 111 and a VSF 531?  I really like the OP Rubber Strap which I think will look good on either of these models.  Hopefully some of you here can shed some light on these 2 models both positives and negatives. Thanks in advance for any insight provided. 

donkacper

Hello all hope some of you with way more knowledge could provide some insights.  I know its slim pickings now with the raids but I am looking to purchase by first Rep and am currently between the 111 and 531.  From reading around the forum the 111 is considered a super clone and it seems that the Noob is the way to go but I am absolutely in love with the 531 and I haven't even come across a classification for it yet but from reading definitely not a super clone..  Now I think I saw that VSF makes a 531 and VSF seems to have a good rep in the Rolex world but not so sure its the same Panerai. Am I one the right track leaning towards a Noob 111 and a VSF 531?  I really like the OP Rubber Strap which I think will look good on either of these models.  Hopefully some of you here can shed some light on these 2 models both positives and negatives. Thanks in advance for any insight provided. 

First of all, with recent raids in China, VSF is still closed so unless some TD has their watches in stock, you won't be able to order. But even without raids, it's always good to check with a TD first about availability of the models you're interested in.

531 will not be a super rep despite how good it looks. It uses an incorrect GMT, it's 12 hours instead of 24. So the GMT hand move as the hour hand.

Wysłane z mojego motorola edge przy użyciu Tapatalka

BadApple

I had a 531 and it was a beautiful watch but let down by the GMT movement. 

Noob 111's are better in earlier versions by all accounts (V4???) - often what is perfect is made not so perfect in a factories perceived improvement. 

You may get a 531 on our M2M section when it becomes visible to you but as said the factory closures will be hitting what our TD's can get for you. You may fall lucky and a TD (or a friend of a TD) may have one lying around. 

deju
19 minutes ago, BadApple said:

I had a 531 and it was a beautiful watch but let down by the GMT movement. 

Noob 111's are better in earlier versions by all accounts (V4???) - often what is perfect is made not so perfect in a factories perceived improvement. 

You may get a 531 on our M2M section when it becomes visible to you but as said the factory closures will be hitting what our TD's can get for you. You may fall lucky and a TD (or a friend of a TD) may have one lying around. 

V3 with Y incabloc was best as  QC varied on V4, there was like 1 batch true V4 it then became a parts bin watch and that’s why we ended up with $250 -$400 V4’s. 100% agree. Probably the best example of how newer versions aren’t always better. 

Titleist
8 hours ago, donkacper said:

...531 will not be a super rep despite how good it looks. It uses an incorrect GMT, it's 12 hours instead of 24. So the GMT hand move as the hour hand.

I have read conflicting reports of the 531 regarding  the 12 and 24 GMT.  To me with that dial I can't understand how any factory would think a 12 hour GMT would be ok.  IIRC someone out there said initially the VSF was 12 GMT and they then corrected it and used a 24 GMT going as far as posting a picture of his watch saying he set all hands to the top 12 o clock position and then let the watch run for 12 hours and the next picture shows the hour and minutes hand at the top 12 o'clock position and the GMT hour hand pointing straight down towards the traditional 6 o'clock position which would be 12 o'clock on the GMT dial which would mean it is in fact a 24 hour GMT, but like anything on the net take it with a grain of salt. People also say although a few TDs have the VSF  listed as 12 hour GMT it in reality is a 24 hour GMT.  Anyone here confirm/deny this? Its is my understanding that if it is a 12 hour GMT with the dial design of the 531 it will never tell the correct time on the GMT hand correct?

If this is the case its definitely a point in favor of opting for the 111.  I also like the 1118 and 1119 but fear that this will be far from being an accurate rep and I haven't even seen it listed as a good rep even on the lower end of spectrum of clone ratings.  Just looking for a simple Panerai with just the seconds sub-dial with a black dial and preferably the black rubber PAM strap.  If you guys have a different model I should be looking into I'm all ears.  Also staying away from titanium due do it be susceptible to scratches.  

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Edited by Titleist

nitocx

Love the sandwich patina dial with the GMT specs of the 531..... love the 1950 case style.

That new reps of 531versions are all 12hr GMT, inaccurate as per gen, so wrong for the model.

The  older rep versions have the 24hr GMT but you can't get them any more from TD....... apart from m2m.

Try to look for an older KW PAM 531 Q-series with decorated P.9003 movement 24 hrs GMT in m2m.

Mine says hi in an elephant leather matching strap...6130025019a8285df12dd6e7d3e5b555.jpgdd7f47d2a69815333855a33dd46a317f.jpg

• Like 1

tribefan
On 15/06/2021 at 08:55, Titleist said:

To me with that dial I can't understand how any factory would think a 12 hour GMT would be ok.  

$300-$400 vs $8000-$9000 probably has something to do with. At least all the spelling on the caseback is correct.  :)

Email multiple TD's on this, don't just peruse the ones with web sites. Often the TD's without web site are better at locating hard to find stuff.

Titleist

@nitocx that's gorgeous. If you ever want to part ways with it please let me know.  @tribefan yes I understand the price difference but this is such a basic mistake its hard to believe they made it.  Thanks for the tip on TDs without sites, I'll dig around and see if I contact a few.