BravoDelta

SPEEDMASTER DISASTER!

BravoDelta

I'll miss it. :sad:Zvt32D.jpg

This rant is not so much about my Omega watch, but about the Omega Service Center in Secaucus. A few weeks ago I bought an unworn genuine Speedmaster Racing at a very good price. However, after using the chronograph I discovered the second hand was resetting to the right of center.  I thought about sending it back but I figured I'd wait a bit and see if I could live with it. I could not. I really wanted to keep it so I decided that since it was under full warranty I would send it in for repair. It also had a light scratch in the brushed case that I wanted removed if possible. After a few emails with the Omega Service Center explaining the problem they sent me a box and shipping label to send it in.  Everything seemed to be going fine. I recieved a password for their  Customer Information System (CIS) and followed my watch's progress. It was entered into the system quickly and the chronograph hand was documented to be "not aligned or out of sync". At this point I assumed that the problem would be fixed. About two weeks later the CIS showed the service was completed and the watch was shipped back to me via overnight FedEx. They removed the scratch on the side of the case but the misaligned chronograph hand was not fixed. Then, after inspecting  the watch closer, I discovered there were several new scratches on the watch. All four lugs had deep scratches where the bracelet was removed. The clasp, which was pristine and still had factory stickers on it, was scratched all across the brushed surface. And the case had a new scratch in a different location. I was astonished that the watch was returned to me in this condition from an Omega service center. Maybe they consider the misaligned chronograph hand to be within specs. I don't know, it wasn't even mentioned in the final report . But to return a brand new watch back to the me with all these new scratches was unacceptable.  It was almost as if it was done on purpose.  I emailed customer service about the situation and waited for their response. Crickets. Two weeks later...still nothing. During this time I contacted the seller and they agreed to take the watch back. Goodbye Speedmaster...Goodbye Omega Service Center and Swatch Group. Never again, lesson learned.  The funds were rolled into a new 2021 Rolex Datejust 41 on the Oyster bracelet.  And I still haven't heard back from Omega. Were my expectations too high? :ohwell:
Pics of the Rollie tomorrow! 

• Like 2

Intresting

You got to be kidding!    :blowup:    It almost seems like they gave you another watch from their bin! did you check the serial numbers?   So sad.

• Like 1

Devil

That's a kick in the balls... At least you returned it.

• Like 1

tribefan

They did you a favor, I'd rather have the DJ41. What color dial?

• Like 1

BravoDelta

Slate dial smooth bezel  @tribefan

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem

Wow, just wow, that's abysmal. Nothing good ever comes out of NJ though, so it shouldn't be surprising. Jokes aside, I'm glad it has a happy ending for you @BravoDelta!

I have some similar experiences regarding other watch brand's services here in the States, notably Citizen, so it seems to go beyond Swatch Group. Cost and corner cutting is the most likely culprit. 

Can't wait to see your new Datejust BD. RIP Speedy Coaxial, we hardly knew ye, long live Datejust!

• Like 1

BravoDelta
5 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Nothing good ever comes out of NJ

Thanks FSS. Sadly if your in the region of the Secaucus service center, that's where your Swatch group watch will go for warranty work. You don't get a choice. I made contact through their website and the watch went there because of my location. 

• Like 1

tribefan

I was watching Roman Sharf's Grey Market on YT. He visited Swiss Watch Expo in Atlanta and they gave him a tour of the back rooms where they service, repair and polish. They had stacks and stacks of plastic tray's filled with 25-30 watches in each tray waiting just to be polished, not to mention all of the service and repairs that came before that. Roman asked if they would do any of there work and they were like, NFW, they have way too much work and they had to recruit from around the country for top dollar just to staff.

I'm guessing Omega is not so savvy.

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem
4 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

Thanks FSS. Sadly if your in the region of the Secaucus service center, that's where your Swatch group watch will go for warranty work. You don't get a choice. I made contact through their website and the watch went there because of my location. 

Yeah, I've had to send one there myself, it's in the swamp out by Giants stadium, definitely a cost cutting measure. Update us when (if) you hear back from them.

• Like 1

GenTLe

It looks like when you bring your car to be fixed by an official dealer. Stellar prices and often bad job done...

• Like 1

court

You seem a little too understanding.  I'd be beating down their door.  I am a bit of a hot-head though.  Hopefully this serves as a timely warning for someone and saves them the heartache.  Enjoy the DJ, different from the speedy but still a great choice.

• Like 1

Aramis2288

Unbelievable! I would never imagine that authorized service can screw it up this bad!

brang1

and people complain about our TD's - that is just so bloody unacceptable from Omega- Seiko would treat their clients better 

• Like 2

Aramis2288

It's almost as if you had to make a detailed photo documentation of the watch prior to sending it out for servicing so that later you can prove how badly they abused it!

• Like 1

als86

That sounds like a nightmare and something you really shouldn't have to go through with Omega CS! As mentioned above it shouldn't be the case you have to e.g take photos of your diamond cut alloys prior to new tyres being fitted just to make sure they don't return damaged :stars:

• Like 1

Bobbylah

Sounds all too familiar. One of the guys in my office has a similar experience with Omega. His AquaTerra was sent in for a service as it was not timekeeping well and it has to go back twice, once because the hadn’t sealed it up properly and condensation appeared!. Another guy has an old Seamaster which needed a regular service.  Came back grinding when wound. Went back 3 times.

• Like 1

SteveA

My mate had similar experience with Brietling AD .Took it for service after which timekeeping poor.Took it back to be told that when they opened it up it was rusted inside so he must’ve been using it outside the spec of the watch.Seeing as the nearest it gets to water is washing his hands he told them so and advised that it had on,y been back from service for 3 days so surely they would have noticed any problem during service.AD got all stroppy said it was Brietling fault and they would send it back.Subsequently advised it needed a £600 repair.He refused to pay as they had already had it for a service,they said they hadn’t the AD workshop does that etc.He went back to AD and had it out with them and refused to pay for the now repaired watch,they wouldn’t give him it so he told them he would seek legal advice.Next week Police knocked on his door saying he had harassed,been abusive to and used racist language and interviewed him.

Cut a long story short the AD had lied in the Police statement,couldn’t even get date and time right,refused to hand over CCTV saying it was broken.Mate made counter claim got CCTV which showed he was right,AD apologised gave him his watch fully repaired,serviced and warrantied,a 50% discount on service for this and next,member of staff warned by Police and sacked by AD.

I will not name the AD  in case I have the facts slightly wrong but I would never use a shop called G**dsmit*s in Newcastle 

Edited by SteveA
  • Like 2

BravoDelta

Name names @SteveA! Consider it a public service. Screw them. I vote with my wallet. They treat you like that, run from the brand. I'll never own another Omega under warranty if it has to go to that shop for service. Ironically they also offer watch refinishing starting at $1500. :rofl:

SteveA
31 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

Name names @SteveA! Consider it a public service. Screw them. I vote with my wallet. They treat you like that, run from the brand. I'll never own another Omega under warranty if it has to go to that shop for service. Ironically they also offer watch refinishing starting at $1500. :rofl:

I’ll give a bigger clue the O and the H are missing

• Like 1

V101

What an absolute horror show. I would be fuming. My experience with the Rolex service center has always been exemplary and I always assumed Omega’s would be similar.  I’ve been on the fence about picking up a Speedy for a while now, the stories above shut that down for good. 

For what it’s worth, I’m amazed the seller took it back after the “service” center dinged up a brand new watch. Most stores/people I deal with here in Louisiana would not be as understanding. Hopefully they can sort out this mess with Omega themselves and someone else can enjoy the watch down the road. 

I’m looking forward to seeing pics of your new DJ. Did you consider the new silver OP when deciding what to get into next? Either way congrats on the new piece and wear in good health.

• Like 1

BravoDelta
16 minutes ago, V101 said:

I always assumed Omega’s would be similar

To be fair, this experience was with Omega Service in Secaucus NJ. If you're from Louisiana your watch would probably go to a different service center. It would be worth verifying that before buying. But it still doesn't excuse them ghosting me after the service. 

tribefan

All the more reason to hang on the SMP300 and AT RC VSF's!

BravoDelta

Zc9e1P.jpg
Zc9LHJ.jpg

• Like 8

tribefan

Speedmaster disaster turns to DateJust Lust!

• Like 2

Abe Fromen

I've heard many similar stories about the OSS as well as the Panerai SS as well. 

Pretty shameful but really puts the emphasis on having a good watchmaker yourself. Sometimes it's better to pay for these things yourself with someone you trust rather than try and get a free service under warranty. 

• Like 1