ponzatron

Will local watchsmiths service reps or mod frankens?

ponzatron

Is it illegal for them to handle? Will they confiscate the watch? How has your experience been with local watchsmiths and replicas... preferably in the USA

BoobBandit

hmmm… :popcorn:I mean. Have you googled it? 
generally, in the words of @TheGingerFerret, ‘lazy twats’ don’t do to well in these parts 

• Like 2

Glaude

As far as I know, owning a counterfeit item is not illegal in the US. Buying, selling and importing them is generally illegal, but there's a tolerance it seems.

So I don't think there's any legal issue with a watchsmith working on a replica, however he could refuse for moral or brand pressure (if he's some sort of officially acknowledged brand repairer)

Watcher71

No it’s not illegal in the USA.  I’ve had watchsmiths work on them back when I owned a bunch of reps and it simply comes down to whether they want to work on counterfeit goods or if they are willing to work on a theoretically unknown Chinese copy movement.  Some told me to pound sand and some said no problem if I accept risk of paying their fees with risk on me of being unable to repair.  Obviously, don’t take a watch to an AD.  

BoobBandit

ok. obvious question number 1# 

Why the hell would you go to a random watchsmith you know zero about? I mean, WTF are you doing here right? you came here to hear discussion about rep watches...so go fucken find discussion on rep watch repair! TWAT! 

obvious question #2

Who repairs watches for a lot of the guys that are into this stuff...maybe there's like a, I don't know, watch repair section?! OAS....cant remember...on RWI? what was it Oas Com or something.... 

gratuitous #3

TWAT!

GenTLe
7 hours ago, BoobBandit said:

Why the hell would you go to a random watchsmith you know zero about? I mean, WTF are you doing here right? you came here to hear discussion about rep watches...so go fucken find discussion on rep watch repair! TWAT! 

obvious question #2

Who repairs watches for a lot of the guys that are into this stuff...maybe there's like a, I don't know, watch repair section?! OAS....cant remember...on RWI? what was it Oas Com or something.... 

gratuitous #3

TWAT!

MAte, you can say things in a lot of different ways. Why do you have to choose the worst one?

To the OP: the answer from @Watcher71 is correct, just beware that those "battery changer" in the shopping malls are NOT the right person to touch any of gen or rep mechanical watch... They are no good for that.

• Like 4

BoobBandit

This is correct.  @GenTLe

I was attempting to understand what is the purpose in expressing oneself in such a manner other than coming off as an immature fool.

There is no good purpose other than satisfying ones rash impulse and in fact demonstrating removal of sensible discourse.

Take note @TheGingerFerret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GingerApple
2 hours ago, BoobBandit said:

Take note @TheGingerFerret

Oh don't worry; plenty of people have taken note of this thread.

• Like 1

BadPickle
19 hours ago, BoobBandit said:

obvious question #2

gratuitous #3

TWAT!

Stop being a cunt, 

Its not nuclear science It’s just fake watches with fake movements, most of which are similar to the Swiss ones… you know ETA2836 and Asian 2836… did you spot the similarities there?? Did ya or do you need another example??  I’ll Chuck one in anyway… ETA2824…. Asian 2824… see where I’m going with this and remember this is only a fraction of the list…

it’s very common all over the world for watch repair guys with no real ties to a dealership will repair the fake stuff too, why wouldn’t they? I mean, they’ve got bills to pay same as the rest of us. There’s countless threads across the rep forums asking for “rep friendly watch repair guy in … Wales/Australia/Sweden/uk/France/Belgium/etc… but definitely NOT Finland 

so again, stop being a cunt… please :ohwell: 

• Like 5

GenTLe
4 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

but definitely NOT Finland 

:lmao:

BadPickle
Just now, GenTLe said:

:lmao:

:D  

BoobBandit

… but definitely NOT Finland 

The Finnish would like to have a word @pickledbeetroot

BoobBandit
Oh don't worry; plenty of people have taken note of this thread.

I must say, your punctuation is excellent

Thumbs up from the grammar squad!

BoobBandit

Alright  @ponzatron

so consensus says I’ve been a twat and a cunt. Both apparently very popular words this week! (I shall neither confirm nor deny, if anyone would like to judge, feel free to vote below )

Nevermind that, ‘tis a story for another day.

anyway, I blame it on greek food, and multiple blows to the head etc etc.

In response to your very reasonable question and if a local guy proves difficult to find I submit for consideration this guy , a gentleman and a scholar (unlike me) and comes highly recommend by many stout fellows of this illustrious community @Oascom

ZgzGBp.png

• Like 1

baadsha88

My local watchsmith in leesburg, VA serviced my planet ocean rep

GingerApple
6 hours ago, BoobBandit said:

so consensus says I’ve been a twat and a cunt. Both apparently very popular words this week! (I shall neither confirm nor deny, if anyone would like to judge, feel free to vote below )

Where's the vote button?

• Like 1

Theduke.williams
11 hours ago, BoobBandit said:

Nevermind that, ‘tis a story for another day.

anyway, I blame it on greek food, and multiple blows to the head etc etc.

Nothing to do with the rum and coke???  :D

I've always used the 'Trusted Dealers: Mods and more' section on this site, in my case Watcrepairs UK.

There have been plenty of useful advice given by others above, i.e. don't go to a shop that deals with gen swiss watches, or a key cutting booth that advertises watch repairs (battery replacement).

A google search may reveal several watchsmiths close by, and a quick phone call will always give them the chance to say yes or no.

For my tup'peny worth, I would shoot Katt's Watch Repair (TD section here) a quick message to enquire about timescales, costs etc.

• Like 1

BoobBandit
6 minutes ago, Theduke.williams said:

Nothing to do with the rum and coke???  :D

There may have been a wee dram or two involved :D:beerjump:

BoobBandit
4 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Where's the vote button?

I wouldn't mind a vote button being added in the drop down list of reactions....possible? @Glaude :RaisedEyebrow: