Sign in to follow this  
powderfreak

How to NOT press in the crystal...

powderfreak

Hey folks,

seems as if it is not a good idea to try pressing in a crystal while you attend a french class.... Well, I saw that the crystal wasn't seated well (it neeeeeeever bothered me before and wasn't too horrible at all, but hey...), so I thought why not taking the watch and pressing it against... yeah, against my knee. Just did it and after applying pressure "CRAAAACK", slivers all over the place and in my hand :facepalm:

Crystal is broken, minute hand bend like a banana and scratches on the dial.

Take a look at my proud work :( :

imag0341j.jpg

imag0342p.jpg

The only remaining question for me is: Should I throw it away and cry (since this was one of a few watches my gf liked :facepalm:) or any chance to get it done (by one of our modders)?

BTW, feel free to insult me, of course I could have tried it at home with a cold crystal, tools, blah blah... dumb fool I am :yoda:

KeNnY

It can happen.. When these crystals are not so thick, pressure can break them and shatter to pieces.

Second hand is possible to bend to its original position, I don't see much scratches on the dial, just to find an correct size of the crystal.

powderfreak
It can happen.. When these crystals are not so thick, pressure can break them and shatter to pieces.

Second hand is possible to bend to its original position, I don't see much scratches on the dial, just to find an correct size of the crystal.

Thanks kenny, I already contacted some guys to find a crystal... Maybe I should send it to you then :(

David543

Ouch.....

Bad luck man :(

Del

Oh, that's a bummer. :(

Crusader

When I took my quartz Daytona to a local watchsmith few years ago to change the battery, he broke the crystal, like you did now :(

After he inserted a battery, he pressed the watch together to set the back case and the glass broke, it was like a diagonal crack all over the glass. So he had to fix it again, I had to pick it up next day.

So, maybe try at your local watchsmith? I'm sure he will be able to fix that for you.

KeNnY

Thanks kenny, I already contacted some guys to find a crystal... Maybe I should send it to you then :facepalm:

I should have free desk by then, so it should be a quick one :yoda: Will you want some lume powder also ? :(

amuthon

This shit won't happen to a Pam,

start buying real watches freak.

kreuz.gif

baruch

great story, fucked up tho

MikeMcNair

done it a million times, and i have a proper press!!! these can be very delicate!!!

Takken

What a terrible sight. Hopes all well with your knee...

Silverspeed

If the hand and dial are damaged throw it away....even if you can find the parts it'll be more expensive then ordering a new watch

JohnG
This shit won't happen to a Pam,

start buying real watches freak.

:P Pams (fakes) have more crystal problems than all the other brands combined.

ImWatchingYOU

Mate dont worry.

Here is a story for you :P

I have the same watch, and the crystal was out on the back..didn't bother me as well. After I tried to press it in, the same thing happened!

It just cracked and glass everywhere. Luckily I found a new crystal in UK, which was the same size. Thanks to Brightlight's great hands, the watch has been fixed and waterproofed.

I might sell it, if you like as It's not getting that much wrist time. I havent seen it after repair, as currently away from home.

...Or you can sell yours for spares :)

Is it my eyes, or are the circles around the power level dial and the seconds dial not flush with the bezel, and slightly off at the corners?

ThinkBachs

I have no doubt that I would have done the same thing. I can't tell you how many times I've had something bother me and just couldn't wait to do it the right way or learned afterward that there was a right way. :rofl:

Fix that hand and let it go- telling everyone that you had it double AR'd- doesn't it look great! :rofl:

amuthon
Fix that hand and let it go- telling everyone that you had it double AR'd- doesn't it look great! :rofl:

:rofl:

gtwc

I once read a forum article about using the famed 'foot press'.

For you sceptics, please read on.............

QUOTE (Luto @ Feb 23 2011, 02:23 AM) *

One more thing I've noticed the crystal isn't evenly seated around the case. At the 6 o'clock marker it sits up more than the rest of the edge - is there a way to fix this easily or am I stuck with this?

This is apparently a very common problem with replica DSSDs. Mine had the same problem, and so does Del's.

This is how I fixed mine: if you're going to try it, do so at your own risk smile.gif

QUOTE (Slim @ Jan 4 2011, 08:54 PM) *

Well, I came across the following advice on another forum here: http://goo.gl/25tyS

3. Try this... I know it is a half assed, red neck remedy... But it will work. Take the bracelet off the watch. Put the watch on the floor on a semi hard surface. Linoleum works perfectly! Use your bare foot (or with sock on) and center the watch in the middle of the ball of your foot and press. You may need to rock back and forth a little... Then after doing this for a few seconds, do the same thing only using the heel of your foot. DO NOT use as much force when using the heel of your foot.

And to my delight, I felt the crystal snap into place with a satisfying deep 'clunk!' under my heel. The crystal is properly seated and perfectly level now.

Still very pleased with this watch, even more so now smile.gif

powderfreak

Wow, some more responses... thanks a lot guys!

Is it my eyes, or are the circles around the power level dial and the seconds dial not flush with the bezel, and slightly off at the corners?

I think this is due to the angle of the picture, other than a slightly outwards shifted cyclops (and of course the raised crystal) the watch has been perfect :P

I have no doubt that I would have done the same thing. I can't tell you how many times I've had something bother me and just couldn't wait to do it the right way or learned afterward that there was a right way.

Sounds like me :lol: Well, that is the main reason I don't start modding myself....

Now that some time has passed, I already feel a bit better about it (that made me learn ;)). I contacted Col and O/S, and both have been very helpful. As it turns out there is a real chance of getting a new crystal, maybe even one with a cyclops at six.

I will keep you updated :facepalm:

mspangl

Try Uwe.. I'm sure he can fix the hand and especially the crystal.

I believe he's in close contact with Sternkreuz

gB.

Wow, that sucks crackfreak, I mean powderfreak. :lol: