JSebwc

Rolex Explorer 5500 Super Precision

JSebwc

Rolex 5500 Explorer.

A few weeks back , while buying parts for some other builds I was working on, I decided to add a 5500 dial to my order as I have yet to add one to my collection of explorers.

Parts arrive and I went to work.

Dial
EXI 5500 underline black dial
In the Gen world, this is one of the ultra rare double t<25 stamped underline dial with gilt text and gloss finish.
I first aged the lume some as it just looks too perfect out of the box. After all this watch was available in the late 50s to mid 60s .

Hands: originally threw some generic merc hand set on there but wasn't feeling the hour hand. I had used the second hand for another project so for this build I used a dj style seconds hand and i liked the look ...but quickly tired of them and replaced them with a set from raffles time.
I had a domed crystal on the case set but it took away from the appearance of the watch. made it feel much smaller and just wasn't feelin it on this build for some reason so I swapped it for a 25-12 clarks crystal . The clarks crystal gives the watch a bigger appearance and allows clearer view and really showcases the dial compared to the domed crystal. I have a preference for the domed crystal but the 25-12 just works for this build more so in my eyes.

(with domed crystal and generic hands )
ZgqvAJ.jpg

I settled on hands from Raffles , which I aged appropriately to achieve the vintage look and match the lume of the dial . Truthfully the lume is darker than what I was after but the pumpkin orange tone of the lume compliments the gold hands and text and it gives the watch a warm vintage feel.

I went with the display case back as it is more rolex like and resolved the display window with a service sticker mounted on the inside of the caseback. This prevents the decal from getting damaged and peeling with use.
ZgIZ3I.jpg

I pushed it with the aging process of the case set. I tried out a few new techniques to achieve the aged appearance and I am quite happy with the results. I feel that it gives the watch a realistic well used look without looking deliberate.
ZgqXY3.jpg
Zgqdks.jpg

Eta 2824 clone movement. I've had good luck with the clones for half the price of Gen and they beat slightly slower than Gen ETAs.
Bracelet is a Raffles 19mm rivet , which I aged similar to the case and complete the build .

The result.: a great vintage piece with wrist presence that offers details that the other ref in the explorer line doesn't. Zgqcrj.jpg Zgqg74.jpg ZgqVL1.jpg ZgqxGv.jpg ZgIZ3I.jpg ZgIjYc.jpg ZgIzwX.jpg ZgI3ci.jpg ZgIKib.jpg ZgIhCp.jpg

As always comments and criticism welcome. I may be tempted to build more of these or sell this one on if anyone is interested. but in the meantime I am enjoying it.

Thanks for looking.

NCRich

Very nice.  I've thought about using that case but the display caseback always tilted me toward a JMB one.  Its really sharp.

• Like 1

JimN1564

Is that a 39 mm case?    Looks very cool!

JSebwc
16 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Very nice.  I've thought about using that case but the display caseback always tilted me toward a JMB one.  Its really sharp.

Yes  Its my least favorite part  I will source a proper caseback to complete this build .

16 minutes ago, JimN1564 said:

Is that a 39 mm case?    Looks very cool!

34mm