Aramis2288

Reps Delivery vs New Import Laws

Soco84

Let's start with the obvious; stated value (on the package) might not be enough  under the new regulations. Definetly requires an invoice to accomodate the package, so this is the first Hint for any customs that wish to perform selective checks.

No2. ofcourse i do not expect to open and check every package,  but there is a larger possibility to check packages coming from specific destinations; was a habbit in the past and i expect it to be a recurring phenomeno.

No3, especially given the status of reps, what i would expect is iOSS and a similar charge like Amazon does, precalculating an import tax on order .

and all this on the basis that we have an alternative country-door (maybe CZ or Poland, where warehouses of well known e-sellers  are already present)...  

Edited by Soco84

Flinnt

As always it will come down to not drawing attention to the package. So the changes should just mean needing a specific description of contents and no reason for customs to doubt that description (or value)…such as the pendulum clock in a tiny box. 

• Like 2

Mary Watch
On 04/07/2021 at 21:26, GenTLe said:

About this point, I did send Mary a fully compiled CN22 module to be used for a shipment she's going to send soon. It's important to choose something that may resemble a watch if scanned, and that has more or less the same dimension (it would look crazy to get a 15x10x20cm package with a declaration of a pendulum clock for instance...), with a low value to minimize the VAT tax to pay here and with a properly HS tariff number matching the description.

For the HS tariff you can look here: https://hts.usitc.gov/ 

For instance I put there a description of "Pressure analog gauge" (a mechanical gauge with hands and so on and with a similar dimension of a watch), a value of 12$ (which is compatible as you can check on AliExpress), 250g weight and an HS Tariff number which is 9026.20.80

This HS number is representative of:

jZoMuW.jpg

Now let's see if, in the typical italian way, they'll let it slip with no added fees as they'll take months to put the whole procedure in place, or if they'll ask me the VAT. In this last case I'll have to pay 21% of 12$ which will be around 2/3€ and they're not a problem.

I told the agent the request u want to write. but shipping agent now just can write the exact item we ship "timing"  .

• Like 2

Mary Watch

shipping agent told me some packages will be charged fee, not all.  sometimes it depend on the luck.   

if package request some tax, and customer refuse.  then package will be returned and also will be charged shipping fee and some tax in HK.   if not luck,  package get lost,  shipping company also don't afford any risk.  

now just can watch how this will go.  

• Like 3

Aramis2288

18 minutes ago, Mary Watch said:

I told the agent the request u want to write. but shipping agent now just can write the exact item we ship "timing"  .

Thanks for the news, @Mary Watch, much appreciated.

I guess that for most of us, the relatively small tax and VAT to pay is OK. The concern of many of us, however, is how likely the customs are to catch and check the packages stating the watch. 

My concern is that although the customs will certainly not check every single package due to a lack of sufficient resources, I wonder how having it described as a 'watch'  will impact the overall risk. After all, this is a buzzword that all TDs were avoiding due to the obvious reasons.....

BTW guys, did the UK also implement this new import law? Or is it just the E.U. thing?

Edited by Aramis2288

Soco84

i am not in UK though what i know is post  Brexit,  for parcels  £135 or less, an import VAT applies unless the parcel states gift.; but maybe UK people can shed more light on this.... 

Thank you @Mary Watch, for the information :)

• Like 1

Aramis2288

I just got delivered my newest piece to the EU. It was kind of a close call.

When the watch arrived at the destination country and (delayed) tracking info became updated, very oddly, the app was showing 'received by customs on 2nd of July' while the website claimed that the customs received it on 29th of June. All went nice and smooth, the package was not opened and I was not charged with any extra fees.

Due to the inconsistency of data between the two aforementioned sources, I have no idea whether it arrived prior to or after the 1st of July deadline. I am inclined to think it was before.

Although this delivery has definitely a (very) happy ending, there still seems to be a big question mark in regards to how the hell are we gonna get reliable deliveries to EU.

deju
On 06/07/2021 at 18:36, Aramis2288 said:

My concern is that although the customs will certainly not check every single package due to a lack of sufficient resources, I wonder how having it described as a 'watch'  will impact the overall risk. After all, this is a buzzword that all TDs were avoiding due to the obvious reasons.....

Yeah because importing watches is on the high priority list. 

Way above, Drugs and weapons…. The Government prioritise seizing and then paying to destroy watches….

Tell you what though, you describe it as a flower pot and see when it’s X-ray’d how much more flags are raised. 

Scenario :

Someone  buys a watch you import it as a watch stated on description. The packing is not unusual, the x-ray shows no abnormalities or biological materials or potential concealments. 

You’re now the UK government. You have a choice. 

Do you: 

A) waste resources on opening, inspecting, seizing, storing, sending letters and ultimately paying to destroy goods. 

B) Put priorities on stopping dangerous things being imported and stealth tax the replica  market,  taking your cut for doing absolutely nothing. Paying to keep the country going. 

Aramis2288
15 minutes ago, deju said:

Yeah because importing watches is on the high priority list. 

Way above, Drugs and weapons…. The Government prioritise seizing and then paying to destroy watches….

Tell you what though, you describe it as a flower pot and see when it’s X-ray’d how much more flags are raised. 

Scenario :

Someone  buys a watch you import it as a watch stated on description. The packing is not unusual, the x-ray shows no abnormalities or biological materials or potential concealments. 

You’re now the UK government. You have a choice. 

Do you: 

A) waste resources on opening, inspecting, seizing, storing, sending letters and ultimately paying to destroy goods. 

B) Put priorities on stopping dangerous things being imported and stealth tax the replica  market,  taking your cut for doing absolutely nothing. Paying to keep the country going. 

Fair point, fair point. I am probably a bit traumatized after, by the end of last year, I got 2 watches sent via 2 different forwarding agents through 2 different countries and 2 different carriers on 2 different dates and both were bloody seized.

Perhaps it could have had more to do with the carriers themselves (EMS & DHL) rather than the rest of the factors.

Edited by Aramis2288

Glaude
1 hour ago, deju said:

You’re now the UK government

I'll run a referendum about it, and option A) will be the chosen one

Aramis2288
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

I'll run a referendum about it, and option A) will be the chosen one

I was actually referring to EU countries more than the UK, as my initial understanding was that these new regulations are impacting the EU more and not the UK (I think), but of course, the logic behind customs is similar (almost) everywhere.

And yes, sure, statistically speaking nothing should change because just like before they did not have enough resources for checking every single low-value package getting in, they still don't have it now.

My concern was a bit more related to the fact that in general the 'wrist watch' is a bit of a red flag word because watches are very commonly faked products. I was wondering whether if the package states 'wristwatch' rather than ' bracelet' or pressure gauge' (or anything else which approx. shape and form may resemble a watch when x-rayed) could it potentially increase the possibility of the package getting checked.

Edited by Aramis2288

Glaude
14 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

I was actually referring to EU countries more than the UK, as my initial understanding was that these new regulations are impacting the EU more and not the UK (I think), but of course, the logic behind customs is similar (almost) everywhere.

And yes, sure, statistically speaking nothing should change because just like before they did not have enough resources for checking every single low-value package getting in, they still don't have it now.

My concern was a bit more related to the fact that in general the 'wrist watch' is a bit of a red flag word because watches are very commonly faked products. I was wondering whether if the package states 'wristwatch' rather than ' bracelet' or pressure gauge' (or anything else which approx. shape and form may resemble a watch when x-rayed) could it potentially increase the possibility of the package getting checked.

I always found the word timer to be a good approximation used by TDs.

Footwear & clothings are the most counterfeited products, I think that's where the attention to counterfeit items is drawn

Flinnt

Yeah they can 100% see it’s a watch on x-ray. I imagine a lot of cheap legit watches are sold out of China. Although they know reps come out of China it’s not a given a watch from China is a rep, it’s probably not even probable (haha). 
Given here, as many other countries, it’s not illegal to buy a rep there’s not much incentive to go opening watches from China. Unless of course you import 100 in which case they’ll be pretty suspicious you’re onselling and be tempted to check for counterfeit goods or tax evasion. 
Timer is a good enough description here in Aus, it always gets through without raising flags. Given China is obviously not an English speaking country, you’d be pretty harsh to judge timer as an inaccurate description of what you can see on x-ray is a watch. 

• Like 2

Glaude
19 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

Unless of course you import 100 in which case they’ll be pretty suspicious you’re onselling and be tempted to check for counterfeit goods or tax evasion. 

It's written in the noob guide, but I'll repeat here in case a newbie find this topic (very likely to happen !) : don't order multiple watches at once, or have the TD send them to you into separate packages with a time interval, most of the issues with customs we've seen over the years are when there's more than 1 watch in package.

• Like 2

rovalin

Recently, because of the pandemic, I stopped ordering goods from abroad. I often read about parcels being lost and not reaching the customer or very long delivery times. I only order goods from my country and food delivery. I haven't decided which one I like better working for shipt vs instacart, but I use the services of both companies.
The delivery business has become very popular lately, during the lockdown, people started ordering a lot more. And a lot of young people have moved into shipping, so they don't have to be out of work during these challenging times.

Edited by rovalin

FudgyDocker
7 minutes ago, rovalin said:

Recently, because of the pandemic, I stopped ordering goods from abroad.

Any particular reason why? I've carried on ordering as normal and had tons of stuff come through, especially from China.

tribefan
1 hour ago, rovalin said:

The clampdown on dead bats has been rough.

BravoDelta
5 hours ago, rovalin said:

Maybe this is why all my recent orders from China, Taiwan and Europe have all arrived at my door super fast. :D