Abe Fromen

Ti vs 904L

Abe Fromen

Not sure if this has been previously discussed but... I'm loving my titanium Peligos and i see them come up on M2M frequently at fair prices.  Which got me thinking... titanium as a metal is expensive to make, expensive to manufacture and has amazing properties. Then there's 904L. Yes it's a higher grade than the regular stainless steel but why is the price difference between rep watches in Ti so vast for rep watches made of 904L? Is it truly just mark-up aka greed? Charge more because the client will pay it? 

FWIW I've had gen Rolexes made of 904L and IMHO there was zero difference in a real-world application between 904 and 316. IIRC 904 is supposed to be more stain and rust resistant, yet no one, not even a commercial diver, will really require this grade of stainless on their wrist watch. Overkill... whereas titanium does the job just as well and is lighter and has a different hue that some love or hate, but there it is. 

deju

Ti is softer, most likely easier to work with.

904L is harder and therefore harder to machine and requires better tooling... More overheads more cost.

NCRich

Because they can.

And a commercial diver won't wear a watch.

Abe Fromen
15 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Because they can.

And a commercial diver won't wear a watch.

I know this as my step-son is a commercial diver. :)

tribefan

Titanium is more difficult to machine than steel. Ti big advantage is weight / density.

Zarbus

On the one hand, Titanium is expensive to make/work with, but we can assume it's been around long enough in many different industries for these processes and machinery to be well known and "easy" to implement. 

In the other hand, 904L steel is known to be difficult to machine and apart from very specialized industries using it for its superior corrosion resistance, it's kind of overkill for most applications and 316L is enough. Which may explain why the processes and machinery are still expensive.

Now the question is: is the 904L steel in reps real 904L steel?  Apart from a subtle difference in how it shines, random people would not be able to tell and are not going to run sulphuric acid tests on their reps. Also is it possible to slightly change the formula of 316L to just change the way it shines enough for it to pass for 904L?

For Titanium it's easy to tell if it's really titanium since it's very light.

Anyways, just a few thoughts but I don't want to confuse people or create unfounded doubts :Hypnotized:

Abe Fromen
Spoiler
Spoiler

Interesting thought of changing 316 recipe to make it shine like 904L. I mean, the difference is quite minimal and I'm sure it can be done.  

I just thought it odd that new 904L type watches were pushing up close the $1000... when you can get a Ti Peligos for much less than half that. 

GenTLe
16 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Interesting thought of changing 316 recipe to make it shine like 904L. I mean, the difference is quite minimal and I'm sure it can be done.  

I just thought it odd that new 904L type watches were pushing up close the $1000... when you can get a Ti Peligos for much less than half that. 

It has nothing to do with 904L, it has to do with the fact they are fake rolex and people are ok to pay those stupid prices. Only that.

• Like 3

NCRich
6 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

It has nothing to do with 904L, it has to do with the fact they are fake rolex and people are ok to pay those stupid prices. Only that.

It's called marketing. :lol:

• Like 2

Intresting
54 minutes ago, NCRich said:

It's called marketing. :lol:

aka smoke and mirrors.  

Abe Fromen
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Oh i know. :)  Personally I'd never pay a premium for a replica 904L rolex. The regular 316s pass muster just fine. 

tribefan

There are some long threads over on RWI on the actual content of 904 in rep watches, one of the TD's had a tester verify. Most of them had little if any 904.

• Like 1

Zarbus
3 hours ago, tribefan said:

There are some long threads over on RWI on the actual content of 904 in rep watches, one of the TD's had a tester verify. Most of them had little if any 904.

Not too surprised. The rep world rewards with its gems those who do some research and punishes those who impulse buy based on marketing and hype.

Actually the Gen world is the same :lol: 

• Like 2

Rozza72
On 21/07/2021 at 15:54, tribefan said:

Titanium is more difficult to machine than steel. Ti big advantage is weight / density.

On a complete side note, when the US was researching into the predecessor for the SR71 Blackbird they didn’t have enough TI to build it. Biggest producer was the soviet union, so they bought it off the USSR…love it!