BadApple

FACTORY RAIDS - SECOND WAVE

BadApple

BREAKING NEWS: 

Just like the Covid - a second wave - some small factories were raided and closed last night.

Other factories have closed or will be closing short term until extent of raids is determined. 

Simonix

Oh dear. I can see this becoming a more regular occurrence.

Any news on which specific factories are affected?

EmQue

They’re really cracking down on a lot of things recently, just like they did with the whole btc mining thing too...

BadApple
12 minutes ago, Simonix said:

Oh dear. I can see this becoming a more regular occurrence.

Any news on which specific factories are affected?

Mary tells me some small ones - GF have closed until it settles down so assume other factories will be keeping heads low again. 

• Like 1

NFleischer

Hmm, I have a GF JLC in my shopping cart just about to order for a friend.

OLDBLOKE74

I have just opened and funded a Wise USD account to go on a spree …. 

:shithappens:

Small problem for us but many of our contacts have their livelihoods and their Liberty under threat 

:sad:

GenTLe

Ah, damn CCP!!! Why they don't just... Die?

• Like 1

PostMaster

Moving factories to another country is the solution 

Abe Fromen
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Ah, damn CCP!!! Why they don't just... Die?

Sadly they will slowly take over the world. 

gji25

i would,nt call a mud hut in a tree where a 12 year old kid comes home from school in the Philippines then puts the watch together a factory

Intresting

I am also told factories are raising prices..... so.. go figure

CurioLeo

As I commented in the original thread, the industry is a victim of its own success. Reps have gotten too good to ignore. This isn't going to go away, the Golden Age is over.

Intresting

not over.   Just harder....

Simonix

j3M32i.jpg

Aramis2288

Fucking hell.... just when we thought everything is slowly going back to normal!

Is there any parallel RWI thread? Would be good to combine info.

thejudge

This getting silly now we have had 4 month of constant raids now! 

Are there two types of raids happening now Market Raids and Factory Raids?

Fergulator72

Things are obviously different this time,reps got to good and worked their way into the gen market,Daytona's etc

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OLDBLOKE74

Mary says she can still source watches but my regular go to TD says the factories are struggling to get movements. IDK much but I expect the prices to rise …. Cost of high-end gens has rocketed so it seems that we should expect some inflation. I quite fancy a green PP Nautilus but the gens are now going for up to 10x retail - wtf ? The rep at 500 quid seems expensive but when a steel watch with just a change of dial  costs more than an average house or a supercar the world has gone mad.

frogflyer
4 hours ago, OLDBLOKE74 said:

....... but when a steel watch with just a change of dial  costs more than an average house or a supercar the world has gone mad.

Concur.  The crazy thing is that they are damn near all sold before they ever hit the market officially.  

RLR267

I know one over-asked question is "Which factory makes the best _________?"  My question for those that have been around longer is this:  How do the raids affect a known factory's quality?  

I had done my research, I have asked my questions, I have sent e-mails to Andrew, and I was about to pull the trigger on a Rolex Cellini (not that an Omega DeVille is off the table, just harder to find information and the model I want).  Then the raids happened so I, being a newbie to this market held off.  But it would seem I maybe should have pushed instead of pulled (go ahead, let the puns fly on that one). 

Ergo the question:  how do the raids affect a known factory's quality?  If I had selected a make, model, and factory to ask my TD to source - does it remain safe to follow that same make/model/factory choice or is it a better idea to start asking questions again?  Do factories just close and reopen when safe, or do they change names, or what?  

BoobBandit
I know one over-asked question is "Which factory makes the best _________?"  My question for those that have been around longer is this:  How do the raids affect a known factory's quality?  

I had done my research, I have asked my questions, I have sent e-mails to Andrew, and I was about to pull the trigger on a Rolex Cellini (not that an Omega DeVille is off the table, just harder to find information and the model I want).  Then the raids happened so I, being a newbie to this market held off.  But it would seem I maybe should have pushed instead of pulled (go ahead, let the puns fly on that one). 

Ergo the question:  how do the raids affect a known factory's quality?  If I had selected a make, model, and factory to ask my TD to source - does it remain safe to follow that same make/model/factory choice or is it a better idea to start asking questions again?  Do factories just close and reopen when safe, or do they change names, or what?  

It varies. This question opens a pandora’s box. Find a post discussing factory raids. The factories don’t manufacture the parts. And the term factory is loose for a sweaty room in some back alley a couple floors underground. There could be a disruption in one or several parts suppliers . It could be quality takes a step backwards because no workers..I mean seriously, there’s no short answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLR267

Thanks BB.  I guess my more poignant questions would be: do Factories (let's use GMF for example) tend when the raids are over to try to keep as many "sources" as possible and also try to keep the QC?  I have elected to find a GMF Cellini based on prior research, but I am asking now, due to raids, does that mean the "GMF" name is up for grabs and some new unknown factory could start trading off GMF's reputation so that for a month or two or longer they sell a much lower quality rep for the higher GMF price?  It is a little tongue in cheek but do "factories" assembling rep watches have any honor among themselves? 

BoobBandit

I mean that scenario is not unfounded.  That’s granular information. You might get something like that after a TD trusts you. There’s guys on here that have been buying and selling this stuff for years and even they get information that varies per situation. Unless you’re one of the guys running between alleys it’s third hand information, and even then it’s gonna vary by individual perspective 

• Like 1

deju
20 minutes ago, RLR267 said:

Thanks BB.  I guess my more poignant questions would be: do Factories (let's use GMF for example) tend when the raids are over to try to keep as many "sources" as possible and also try to keep the QC?  I have elected to find a GMF Cellini based on prior research, but I am asking now, due to raids, does that mean the "GMF" name is up for grabs and some new unknown factory could start trading off GMF's reputation so that for a month or two or longer they sell a much lower quality rep for the higher GMF price?  It is a little tongue in cheek but do "factories" assembling rep watches have any honor among themselves? 

Factories basically assemble batches of parts sourced from multiple part suppliers. 

A batch run usually comes under a "version" parts suppliers change all the time and result in changes in versions.  A new version doesn't always mean an improvement.

You are really overthinking all this. A version will only be as good as the parts supplied for the batch run. 

• Like 1

BoobBandit
Factories basically assemble batches of parts sourced from multiple part suppliers. 

A batch run usually comes under a "version" parts suppliers change all the time and result in changes in versions.  A new version doesn't always mean an improvement.

You are really overthinking all this. A version will only be as good as the parts supplied for the batch run. 

Some factories might have common parts suppliers for various parts of the watch. Sometimes the movement is what they say it is, sometimes it isn’t.

At the end of the day, get with a TD, they generally will get you what they say they will get you. The factories might be shady, the dealers generally you can go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1