BadApple

FACTORY RAIDS - SECOND WAVE

Aramis2288
Some factories might have common parts suppliers for various parts of the watch. Sometimes the movement is what they say it is, sometimes it isn’t.

At the end of the day, get with a TD, they generally will get you what they say they will get you. The factories might be shady, the dealers generally you can go with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly as BB said. A good TD is called 'trusted' for a reason. They should source you the exact watch you want or inform you if it is not possible at a given moment. It is your job, however, to do the research and know exactly what you are ordering, what are the pros and cons etc.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Intresting

Reason why we have TDs is that short of one actually physically being in China to deal with the factories direct (providing one knows where they are and speak the culture) there is no real way to secure a decent example. 
In the end, the questions of what a factory is, how and what they do is moot.  It would make a great documentary, but the pointy end of securing a decent rep is having a great TD who knows what they are doing.  
We have a list of great TDs here.  Some are fan favourites, some are just people who are comfortable with over the years.
There is obviously some base cost in making the reps, which explains why a Longines rep cost so much despite the underlying gen is only in the 1-2k mark.  
I can understand @OLDBLOKE74's logic, in that higher priced reps begin to make a lot more sense if the underlying gen is selling for huge numbers and hard to get.   Then again, that Bentley driving old fart can pull it off as nobody will question if that green Patek or AP of his is gen, while someone pulling up in transport considerably less substantial will raise wry eyebrows.
This is also a business.  Raids or not, it will come back, in some shape or form, as long as there is a coin to be made.   We can see this already with new iterations of factories that have stepped in with the Omega SMP 300 reps since the raid on VSF.   Fear not, the rep is here to stay.

• Like 3

thejudge

Any update on this guys are things back to normal yet?

Aramis2288

You gotta reach out to a few TDs to see what they can get. From what I know though, VSF still has rather significant issues and Noob has not been resurrected either.

OLDBLOKE74

Mary managed to get me a watch I wanted last week but but I know it was a struggle to get it. 
Still difficult 

Aramis2288

Same here. And what I ordered was from a niche factory, not even something that was primarily impacted by raids.

Mrluwin

I ordered a watch last Wednesday, the factory sent it to the TD on Saturday but he rejected it, they sent a replacement yesterday which I've accepted and is currently on it's way to me so not all doom and gloom :D

Aramis2288

Yeah, it just takes a bit more time and not everything is available.