Intresting

Have you ever taken your rep for a swim or dive?

Intresting

So we buy lots of diver reps.  Anyone here has taken your rep for an extended swim or dive?  In water.  Swimming pool or sea.   Showering is not counted :)    What was the experience like?

Rx4Time

I swim with mine all the time.   To be clear, I pressure test each upon receipt and then roughly once a year. 

A few random pictures I've taken....

PXL_20210705_1951359745306d01fc00eb4d8.j
PXL_20210701_2350387631368f048d8b10023.j

PXL_20210720_194607131.MP7c63b114ebd579d

IMG_20200707_145224e439d0131e8563ed.jpg

IMG_20200524_1056286da275f6d311c805.jpg

I'm not sure what to say about the "experience" as I swim daily in the summer and wear a watch always.   Honestly I don't give it much thought truth be told.  With the exception of my two speedmaster all of my current collection is able to be used for swimming.   I generally avoid swimming with chronograph watches for fear of externally depressing one of the pushers, But I have tested them and all of mine can go in the water, and I have  swam with a few of them before. 

• Like 6

whitegold79
I swim with mine all the time.   To be clear, I pressure test each upon receipt and then roughly once a year. 

A few random pictures I've taken....
PXL_20210705_1951359745306d01fc00eb4d8.jpg
PXL_20210701_2350387631368f048d8b10023.jpg
PXL_20210720_194607131.MP7c63b114ebd579db.jpg
IMG_20200707_145224e439d0131e8563ed.jpg
IMG_20200524_1056286da275f6d311c805.jpg
I'm not sure what to say about the "experience" as I swim daily in the summer and wear a watch always.   Honestly I don't give it much thought truth be told.  With the exception of my two speedmaster all of my current collection is able to be used for swimming.   I generally avoid swimming with chronograph watches for fear of externally depressing one of the pushers, But I have tested them and all of mine can go in the water, and I have  swam with a few of them before. 
What's the minimum pressure (in meters) you'd take a watch into a pool?
As reps can vary in pressure tests

Sent from my SM-G9910 using Tapatalk

GenTLe
6 hours ago, whitegold79 said:

What's the minimum pressure (in meters) you'd take a watch into a pool?

To me if it passes the 5bar test (50m) then they're fine for pool and sea.

• Like 3

FudgyDocker

I took a BP DateJust in the pool. Didn't bother testing it. No big deal if it leaked. Just an excuse to buy a new one :D

• Like 1

NCRich

I'd feel like an idiot diving with a watch. And I don't have any reason to swim with one as its just in the way.  I will wear any of my non chrono watches in the pool if I'm just hanging out.

• Like 3

BoobBandit

Divers wear giant oxygen meters don’t they? It has a built in watch I thought. Hanging out is the only time I’d wear a Rolex in water, like water bars, cruise ship etc.…if I’m swimming, keeping lap times is about the only need for one, and I haven’t done that in a few moons 

Aramis2288
Divers wear giant oxygen meters don’t they? It has a built in watch I thought. Hanging out is the only time I’d wear a Rolex in water, like water bars, cruise ship etc.…if I’m swimming, keeping lap times is about the only need for one, and I haven’t done that in a few moons 

For actual diving nowadays everybody use diving computers that do the whole job for you. They tell you all the crucial data about descending, time, depth, oxygen supplies, how fast you can ascend back etc.

Personally, however, I don't mind taking a dive watch as well. First and foremost because I am a watch nerd, but also because having a backup just in case doesn't hurt.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

NCRich
15 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

For actual diving nowadays everybody use diving computers that do the whole job for you. They tell you all the crucial data about descending, time, depth, oxygen supplies, how fast you can ascend back etc.

Personally, however, I don't mind taking a dive watch as well. First and foremost because I am a watch nerd, but also because having a backup just in case doesn't hurt.

Watches are not backups to dive computers.  The theory behind the use of either is different.

It's fine to wear them as a watch nerd, but if your computer goes out you ascend unless you have a backup computer.  The watch can't serve as a backup in multilevel computer diving.

(sorry,  former dive instructor here)

EDIT: I should have said pedantic former dive instructor.  :lol:

• Like 1

Aramis2288
Watches are not backups to dive computers.  The theory behind the use of either is different.

It's fine to wear them as a watch nerd, but if your computer goes out you ascend unless you have a backup computer.  The watch can't serve as a backup in multilevel computer diving.

(sorry,  former dive instructor here)

EDIT: I should have said pedantic former dive instructor. 

Haven't people in the old days use dive watches in conjunction with dive tables?

NCRich
1 minute ago, Aramis2288 said:

Haven't people in the old days use dive watches in conjunction with dive tables?

Yes, but the theory behind diving tables is that before your dive you plan your max depth and the table will tell you how long you can stay at that depth.  You then use your watch to time the dive.  You could carry a back up watch in case the first goes out and it will allow you to perform the same function.

The main advantage of a dive computer is that it allows multilevel diving.  The table assumes you stay at one depth the whole dive.  The computer calculates your nitrogen absorption as you move up and down.  So you could bounce down to 130 ft where your table says you only have say 7 minutes and bounce back up to 30 ft where you are basically unlimited and it keeps track of it.  If you do a dive like that and the computer goes out 20 minutes in you have no way to know how much time you have left.  So the watch doesn't do you any good.  You would just be guessing and that ain't great when the end result is the bends.

So carry two computers.  I have one on the console and one on the wrist.  Dive computers are cheaper than dive watches now days.

• Like 3

Aramis2288
Yes, but the theory behind diving tables is that before your dive you plan your max depth and the table will tell you how long you can stay at that depth.  You then use your watch to time the dive.  You could carry a back up watch in case the first goes out and it will allow you to perform the same function.
The main advantage of a dive computer is that it allows multilevel diving.  The table assumes you stay at one depth the whole dive.  The computer calculates your nitrogen absorption as you move up and down.  So you could bounce down to 130 ft where your table says you only have say 7 minutes and bounce back up to 30 ft where you are basically unlimited and it keeps track of it.  If you do a dive like that and the computer goes out 20 minutes in you have no way to know how much time you have left.  So the watch doesn't do you any good.  You would just be guessing and that ain't great when the end result is the bends.
So carry two computers.  I have one on the console and one on the wrist.  Dive computers are cheaper than dive watches now days.
Very informative!

BoobBandit

man, this is fascinating…makes me want to go for a dive license! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Intresting

Seems like many who buy dive watches only do desk dives.  Or is it because we look our our reps better than our gens :)   

• Like 1

Zarbus

Never wore a rep in water...

Too worried about the water resistance on these, and worried about the fact that if an issue happens, it may not be easy to get it repaired since my local watchmakers don't work on reps. In a sense I baby my reps more than my gens for that reason.

If I see someone wearing a "luxury" watch while diving I always assume it's a Gen but Rx4Time's post above proves me wrong :) 

k3rm87

That's what my Seiko's are for.

• Like 1

Intresting
29 minutes ago, Zarbus said:

If I see someone wearing a "luxury" watch while diving I always assume it's a Gen but Rx4Time's post above proves me wrong :) 

Is this the ultimate "bluff".   Once you gone for a swim in a VSF or ZZF or ARF SeaDweller, Sub, Hulk or Pepsi, nobody's going call you out for wearing a fake?  :)

• Like 1

Aramis2288
That's what my Seiko's are for.

+1. I have exactly the same approach. I've build a custom Seiko Turtle and it does an amazing job with withstanding whatever I throw at it. It's modular so if at any point something would go wrong, I can repair it myself.

Regardless of whether my reps could do the same job or not, I prefer having them in as pristine condition as possible.

• Like 1

Aramis2288
Is this the ultimate "bluff".   Once you gone for a swim in a VSF or ZZF or ARF SeaDweller, Sub, Hulk or Pepsi, nobody's going call you out for wearing a fake? 

Well, according to all the 'reviews' done by YouTubers and "prestigious" magazines, reps are of garbage quality, are falling apart 5 min after taking out of the box. So probably yes, that could be an ultimate proof.

• Like 2

GingerApple

The first commercially available waterproof watches  started  appearing in the 1880s. Do you not think that the Chinese, with the latest CNC tech, can't replicate the extremely basic technology needed? Of course they can! :facepalm:

Whilst I get my watches tested before swimming with them, I have NEVER had a diver fail a water resistance test (I've never bothered  trying non divers, non screwdown Crowns etc).

I swim with loads of mine regularly without issue.

• Like 2

Intresting

got to agree with the Ginge.   Even cheap 100 dollar watches can be taken for a dunk.   Surely the reps can do it.   But it seems that if you take a Rolex for a swim, its got to be a gen, ever mind the rehaut, the wonky marker, or the blue tinge of the cyclops :)   amazing how perception changes.

fatarms

Only watch I've worn in water is my gen Seawolf II.  It's rated for 10,000 feet and I get nervous with it on in a pool :lol:

• Like 2

Redfire1066

Yep, over the years I used many, many Rep and Homage watches that has had a screw down and or lockable crown with depth rating of 100m plus . .. ..  worn and used every day, day after day working at sea and for leisure swimming in the pool, and in the sea, snorkeling and scuba diving.  I remember to give them a fresh water rinse sometime that day or the next.  Never had any problems with Reps or Homage watches in water so far. Quite often have split pipes onboard the vessel that require immediate rectification and they can blast out salt water at between 9 and 12 bar of pressure.  .. . that's around 130 to 175 psi  ..  Never had any issues with water in any of my worn watches in even the most extreme of water conditions.  However, air temperatures of +40c temperatures in the Middle East and colder temperatures in Antarctica  can send the time keeping a little wonky + - at times even in my best watches.  Though, they always seem to settle down again in more normal range of ambient temperature conditions.   The most common denominator for wonky time keeping for me is Magnetism created by Machinery in the Engine Rooms ....   apparently sending me time travelling into the future:D.  It is easy to understand the appeal of wearing the Casio - G Shock type watches for reliability and peace of mind. . ..  until you need a new battery  ..... ..  2000 miles offshore  .. lol :pirate:

j3VER8.jpg

• Like 4

Theduke.williams
29 minutes ago, Redfire1066 said:

It is easy to understand the appeal of wearing the Casio - G Shock type watches for reliability and peace of mind. . ..  until you need a new battery  ..... ..  2000 miles offshore  .. lol :pirate:

Many G-Shocks are solar powered, and have atomic timekeeping (if you are within range of one of the transmitters that is).

Here's my daily beater, and it accounts for more than half of my wrist time!;

20190716-162343.jpg

Getting back on topic, I tend not to wear my reps in water, as I don't feel confident about their water tightness, having said that, I have a cheapy Reg  Hulk that has proven to be waterproof.

Most I'll do these days is an hour in the local pool, or a soak in my hot tub.

• Like 2