Matze71

Pelagos Bezel Insert

Matze71

I am waiting for a ZF Pelagos. What bothers me a little is the bezel insert. The numbers are too thin in my opinion. Where can I get a more gen-like insert? Does anyone know a good source?

jHaXnF.jpg

GenTLe

Oh man, believe me, you'd better keep it as it is and not venture into Pelagos inserts... They are a MESS to mod. 

Matze71

Are you sure? On my last Pelagos, the entire bezel was changed, which was no problem. The insert is afaik only glued, should also be easy to change.

GenTLe
50 minutes ago, Matze71 said:

Are you sure? On my last Pelagos, the entire bezel was changed, which was no problem. The insert is afaik only glued, should also be easy to change.

The problem isn't that one, but the moment you start to tweak it, for instance to change the lume inside to have a "better color" or stuff like that. Of course if you find the perfect insert (maybe even genuine) that's not a big dial, but otherwise it's a mess. And on AliExpless there are expensive ones (basically just 2 of them) which at least 1 has numbers too small and a totally wrong dark blue lume which doesn't match the rest of the watch...

Matze71

That's the point of my question, where can I get a gen-like insert? ;)

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Matze71 said:

That's the point of my question, where can I get a gen-like insert? ;)

You'll need a gen insert, not a gen-like to be better than yours :) Not sure if you can get it online, you know how Roelx (and therefore Tudor) are stricts with their spare parts unfortunately (other than super expensive...).

Anyway, I can't see the difference between ZF insert and gen one:

zTudor-Pelagos-25600-139170.jpg

• Like 1

pbwatch

There are two versions of the gen insert. The early thicker numbers lume had a habit of dropping out so the upgraded gen insert has thinner numbers for better durability. There is nothing wrong with the numbers in your opening pics buddy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Matze71

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. But now it makes sense that on ebay gen inserts are offered with fallen out markers. 

BadPickle

£23.61  45% Off | 40mm black blue watch ceramic bezel insert ring fit for Tudor Pelagos watch blue luminous matte Frosted surface
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uXRRpF

1 hour ago, Matze71 said:

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. But now it makes sense that on ebay gen inserts are offered with fallen out markers. 

Simonix

jHOEFQ.jpg

• Like 2

GenTLe
52 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

£23.61  45% Off | 40mm black blue watch ceramic bezel insert ring fit for Tudor Pelagos watch blue luminous matte Frosted surface
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uXRRpF

I have it, not good, the lume is dark blue not "aqua" like the gen, it really is kind of bad when it's dark.

The 2nd one is my feedback

Connery77

I just received an XF v3 black Pelagos m2m and the bezel numbers are yellowed and the bezel itself seems like its faded to a medium-dark grey compared to others I've had.  I've tried the following to re-whiten the numbers:

-Cape Cod cloth

-Polywatch

-toothpaste

-headlight restorer polish

-metal polish

-left the insert soaking in bleach overnight

NONE OF THIS has had any effect on this insert!  The numbers are still yellowed and the bezel itself has not faded at all!  How do some of these rep bezels fade and yellow on their own?  At this point, I'd like to see if its possible to just make a faded ghost bezel out of it.   I'm leaving it out in the sun for the rest of the day but I'm not getting my hopes up.  

Anybody have any other ideas?  

Edited by Connery77

GenTLe

@Connery77 mate that's ceramic... It will never fade... It's not like aluminum with a layer of anodization on top... XF has sometime this defect, I know something about, had to redo it like 2/3 times the one for @Nikosaldente and its yellow numbers... Too yellow even for my LHD that has creamy ones...

• Like 2

Connery77

I understand that its ceramic but I thought it would still be somewhat susceptible to aging since it seems to sometimes fade on its own.  There must be someway to whiten those markings.

Connery77

Just had the insert lying in a saucer of bleach out in the sun for hours...and nothing.  The markers are still yellow!

Connery77

Just tried acetone/nail polish remover...no change.

APjumbo

I’m glad you are trying these things. My blue one is a tiny bit yellow and would love to find a solution other than selling it for a newer model.

Connery77

Left it out under the sun again for 20 mins but this time in a dish of brake fluid...NOTHING.  NO FADING, MARKERS STILL YELLOW.  I can't believe it.  I'm officially out of ideas.

Intresting

Wow. Think you found a rep bezel that is more durable than a gen bezel!  might make a coin flipping it to the local RSC.  They might be interested :)

Connery77

My question is how did the color fade to its present state (medium/dark gunmetal gray) and the markers turn yellow (like the LHD) but I'm not able to take it any further?  Maybe it left the factory in China looking like this somehow?

GenTLe

The real only thing you can do (if you like the background color but not the lume color) is:

1) put it into a jar with paint stripper and leave it there for like 2 days

2) remove all the lume (you may need to use a pointy metal object)

3) find some white lume powder with the same luminescent color of the rest of the watch dial/hands)

4) mix it with some strong transparent paint, like a 2k epoxy or polyurethane matte transparent and refill with that mixture the numbers and 12 triangle

5) when it's dried, remove the excess with some 800 grade sandpaper. You may need to redo the point 4 and 5 various time until you obtain a flat surface where the numbers are filled and in pair with the rest of the bezel

6) with a small airgun spray the upper part of the insert with the same paint used at point 4

7) reinstall it on the watch

It's a long and tedious process... Much easier to ask the TD where you got it to source a proper well made insert that fits on your watch.

If, like in my case, it's the LHD, multiply all above for like 5 times because you also have to find the proper color to be added to the lume powder to obtain the right "creamy" final effect...

Never again...

Connery77

I got the replacement insert in the mail today and installed it.  Rather than take the risk of the shade of black not matching up with the dial, I decided to have some fun and create a "cookie monster" Pelagos (or what we used to call the "shark" mod). 

A few notes:

-The shade of blue is lighter and more vibrant than the proper blue Pelagos I have.   

-The lume is weaker and a more "blue" than the factory teal/turquoise lume, so it doesn't match up with the dial but its not a big deal to me.  In daylight, the markings are a nice crisp white.

-The markings seems to be correctly shaped for the most part (triangle pip is a bit different) but maybe a bit thinner.

-It was a perfect fit within the bezel assembly, with some tape applied to the backside.

-It unfortunately arrived with some very faint marks/scuffs but they are thankfully not very noticeable.

All in all, not too bad.  

zqlXzX.jpg

zqlE8E.jpg

Not sure why the proper blue looks some much bigger here.  Odd angle.

• Like 1