linsChaho

How to know if a Seiko is truly Made in Japan?

linsChaho

I'm looking to buy my first watch and I'm interested in Seiko watches. After looking at many different Seiko watches I noticed that on the front of the watch it would either have Japan, Mov't Japan, Made in Japan, or don't have Japan written at all.

How do I know which ones are fully made in Japan? I know the ones that actually say Made in Japan are made from Japan. What about the ones that say Mov't Japan and just Japan? Are these still fully made in Japan or are only the parts made in japan and that it was assembled elsewhere?  showbox

I know some say Made in Malaysia at the back but not all the watches I looked at show the b speed test ack. I can't remember if any of the watches that had Japan or Mov't Japan in the front say Made in Malaysia at the back or not.

Thank you if anyone can clarify this for me.

Edited by linsChaho

WebWind

Mine SKX 009 is so called J model. It is made in Japan and maybe for Japan market. It has different marking on the dial than "ordinary" SKX and "Japan" marking on the back case. If you want Made in Japan Seiko look for "J" at the end of catalog number. But there are only few models available outside of Japan.
All Grand Seiko watches are made in Japan. But Grand Seiko is different league.46b1003ea928ab612bb0868ebcafdfab.jpg

Flinnt

Mine just say Japan, followed by the movement number. 
I know they’re made in Japan for Japanese market only as these models were only ever made in Japan, JDM models and bought in Japan. 

jAjAmK.jpg jAjLCv.jpg

Simonix

If the model code ends in a J, it’s built in Japan, if it’s a K, it’s built in Korea. Still Japanese parts, just assembled in Korea. 

Some people pay more money for the J models over the K, however in real life, there really isn’t any noticeable difference. 

• Like 1

J!m

No mechanical difference, and all parts fully interchange.

I wanted a J version and when I got it I tore into it to see what was inside. Besides the dial and case back, the rotor is also marked Japan (but never seen unless opened). Functionally, identical. Dials are sometimes different slightly (SKX007 for example) but if you swapped K parts onto a J (or vice-versa) everything fits and functions perfectly. 

Regardless of where made, Japanese quality systems are in place.