Sign in to follow this  
ImWatchingYOU

Question concerning a dismantled dial

ImWatchingYOU

I have one question to you guys concerning dials. When you open the watch, the dust is instantly on the dial. I know you protect it afterwards, but how do you get the dust off after when you put the watch back together?

Is there some special mix which you go over the dial to take the dust off, or what is the secret?

Ska

Depends on what you mean by dust.

You should be using latex/nitrile gloves first of all, and we use a dust blower to remove any flyaway particles.

houndoggie

I do all my watch repairs in a sterile operating theater.

Wiz

You'll save yourself 70% of the troubles by being a clean freak when it comes to the room you work in. I clean mine every day that I know I'll be working on watches, and I'll keep doing so untill I find the time to seal and overpresure the room.

You'll save yourself another 10% of the troubles by minimizing the time where thye dial is not either in the watch or in a storing box.

And if there is dust on it anyway, you'll need a dust blower, a strong loupe (x10 min.), some rodicco, and patience.

Also, beware to test every stick of rodico on a part of the dial that is not too much exposed. Some batches tends to leave "greasy" marks on dials.

Caliper

mop the room before you start working on your watch, do not broom since this lifts up dust particles like crazy.

Just think your watch is asthmatic.

Wiz
mop the room before you start working on your watch, do not broom since this lifts up dust particles like crazy.

Just think your watch is asthmatic.

My cleaning sequence: Vaccum, then I wait for a couple of hours to let the dust fall down, then mop cleaning, and after that I use Swiffer dust cloths on the whole room (floor, baseboards, furnitures, equipment, ....).

These Swiffer cloths are just excellent, I use at least a pack per week these days.

Luthier
Is there some special mix which you go over the dial to take the dust off, or what is the secret?

Thin layer of olive oil with 5% of talc powder.

tsomers

Ska working in his clean room =)

Clean-Room-.jpg

David543

:)

And back in the real world......

I think the average person in the average house has a bit of a problem.. :(

MikeMcNair

compressed air used to clean heyboards, or a "puff brush" for cleaning camera lenses both work VERY well.

Wiz
:ttiwwop:

And back in the real world......

I think the average person in the average house has a bit of a problem.. :)

There is no problem, you just need to clean the room regularly and meticulously.