oyaloper

Best replica ever in your opinion

Butterflyeffect

ORF Seamaster 300m Black but with VSF movement engravings. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alilondon

Isn't there a list of super reps somewhere?

Ant0702

Sinn u1 or Solebox. Longines Hydroconquest. 

I've had both gen and rep - the only difference on the wrist is my psychology... True fact...... 

Rozza72
On 19/08/2021 at 21:09, Mike777 said:

The Breitling reps are fantastic! Look at this SuperDuperRep. Definitely Not Worth Buying In Gen.

0031-A1-AD-3-C01-420-E-B41-A-DE771512-BD

Where on God's green Earth was this monstrosity ever conceived!!! Thats what too many Disco biscuits does to you to my mind. Please tell me there isn't actually a gen Breitling of such technicoloured madness, I know they favour the insane dial philosophy but fairs fair...NO, No no no.

BoobBandit

Here’s my favorite Gen. it doesn’t get any more tasteful e6e75b17383c9d18d841fe6ac7cd83a5.jpg

• Like 8

Darkstar5
44 minutes ago, BoobBandit said:

Here’s my favorite Gen. it doesn’t get any more tasteful e6e75b17383c9d18d841fe6ac7cd83a5.jpg

I lol'd. :lol:

• Like 2

Butterflyeffect

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Rozza72
On 03/09/2021 at 03:47, Butterflyeffect said:

giphy.gif

My thoughts exactly lol

black263

Unless you don't care what a watch looks like you're asking the wrong question.  There are many that I wouldn't want on my wrist, even in Gen, so it wouldn't matter if they were the finest rep in the world, I wouldn't buy one.  At the opposite end, I've bought "replicas" of watches that don't exist as Gens, because I liked the look.

So, start by asking yourself, "if I could afford it, which make and model would I really like to see on my wrist"  Only then start looking at replicas.  And then, don't ask who makes the best.  Look at the reviews and make your mind up.   All the information you need is there.

• Like 1

citizenfox
On 05/09/2021 at 03:53, black263 said:

Unless you don't care what a watch looks like you're asking the wrong question.  There are many that I wouldn't want on my wrist, even in Gen, so it wouldn't matter if they were the finest rep in the world, I wouldn't buy one.  At the opposite end, I've bought "replicas" of watches that don't exist as Gens, because I liked the look.

So, start by asking yourself, "if I could afford it, which make and model would I really like to see on my wrist"  Only then start looking at replicas.  And then, don't ask who makes the best.  Look at the reviews and make your mind up.   All the information you need is there.

I’m always amazed at all the, if they were gen, 30-50k reps are for sale on the forums. I’m in tech, make good money and know plenty of watch guys that make big,big money, and no one wears those watches. 

Rozza72
1 hour ago, citizenfox said:

I’m always amazed at all the, if they were gen, 30-50k reps are for sale on the forums. I’m in tech, make good money and know plenty of watch guys that make big,big money, and no one wears those watches. 

Don’t  confuse ‘making good money’ with style and taste lol, you only have to look at the footballers, lottery winners who previously had sod all types. 

Abe Fromen
On 02/09/2021 at 21:36, BoobBandit said:

Norm MacDonald's fave watch... may he RIP> 

citizenfox
52 minutes ago, Rozza72 said:

Don’t  confuse ‘making good money’ with style and taste lol, you only have to look at the footballers, lottery winners who previously had sod all types. 

Agree 100%. There are some very serious collectors in tech, like the Facebook guy that was on Hodinkee’s talking watches. But in 15 years I’ve yet to see an AP or Patek, popular reps, on anyone. 

Mrluwin
On 01/09/2021 at 22:47, alilondon said:

Isn't there a list of super reps somewhere?

Pretty solid one next door, probably have a job getting hold of a lot of them at the mo due to the current situation, handy reference though

CurioLeo

Loaded answer to a loaded question- what's the purpose ? Do you want a rep that is arguably more impressive than the gen (Noob Panerai Pam 224) but screams rep to those who know or a rep that is actually better made than the gen but near impossible to find (H Factory Panerai Pam 87) or a rep that is virtually gen and can be made into a genstein but generally not seen in in the metal in the wild (see trailboss99 comment) or a watch that doesn't exist but is made from gen parts (and will cost you more than most gens anyway)  and should exist (see my AP diver post on RWI) or a watch which is gen for all intents and purposes but everyone will assume is a fake unless YOU would undoubtedly rock the real deal ( VSF Sub)....the list goes on and on.  Key is the last point- unless you can AND do wear gen watches worth thousands of dollars and have the rest of the trappings to match, assumption will always be that the watch is fake. Sorry to piss on your parade if that's the case  - if not, start with what you like as a gen as advised by several people and go from there.

Edited by CurioLeo

fatarms

Canada

Intresting
5 hours ago, citizenfox said:

. But in 15 years I’ve yet to see an AP or Patek, popular reps, on anyone. 

You either
a.  You and your friends don't make enough.
b.  You make plenty and your friends don't make plenty.
c.  You and your friends make plenty but watches are not a priority.

Got to have all the goods that go along with one of those watches.   I don't have all the goods :)  and I don't make enough.

• Like 1

BadApple

People need to be realistic - don't buy a rep Rolex as everyone will assume it's fake anyway. And what grubby tosspot wears a 60k Patek or a 25k AP? 

Omega's, Breitlings, Tudors and Panerais are THE best repped watches that are (or were) available. You can wear them and being 3-6k as a gen it is feasible you could have picked up a decent second hand one to treat yourself with. 

At a gathering (RIP Debs) recently someone spotted my VSF Omega PO and asked if he could look at it. I told him it was a replica and he called me an outright liar. He passed it around all on his table and they all basically said the same.

They were assuming a "fake" watch was a clunky piece of junk that wasn't working all the time. They had no idea that there was these very cleverly done pieces of reverse engineering available with a sweeping second hand. Most were basing their findings on its weight.

Nobody mentioned the black balance wheel or AR coating. So if a watch on here attracts praise then you can be sure that the general public will be in awe (again stressing not Rolex's etc...) AD's will struggle with many reps unless they do a macro examination so if you want to take off your V5 Pelagos whilst trying on another watch at an AD then do so without fear of them ringing the fake Police or them confiscating it (they would if it was a Rolex, PP or AP) 

• Like 1

GenTLe

I've actually seen both APs (ROO chrono) and other gorgeous watches (not repped), like this 

IWC Ingenieur Chronograph Silberpfeil IW3785 - Luxois

You just need to know where to go to see them.

For me it was on the 7:00 Alitalia flight from Milan to Rome (that I took quite some time). That flight is often used by politicians and managers that go to Rome for work.

deju
4 hours ago, BadApple said:

People need to be realistic 

No we don't.

GingerApple
1 hour ago, deju said:

No we don't.

He knows his downtrodden station in life - let him wallow there.

Meanwhile we'll rock the Rolies, APs, RMs etc :thumbsup2:

Cap'n
17 hours ago, citizenfox said:

There's also an element of 'when to wear' a watch. I have (what I believe) to be a nice collection of Gens and reps. I rarely wear any 'expensive' watch (rep or gen) when with clients. Stick to the popular Tudor/ Omega/Tag watches (my go-to for work is actually my gen Tag Monaco - iconic sporty style watch that still goes with a suit). Don't want them thinking I earn too much money from them! 

To add to the original question my view for what it's worth;

• ZF/XF Tudors - My v5 Pelagos is awesome
  • VSF Omega's
  • Have seen some awesome Noob PAM's (which I've also let go and regret)

Have to say I've got to agree with @BadApple that whilst I've seen some very good Rolex reps (ARF SD43 as an example) they are never perfect/super rep - it's actually not in the factories interests as the Rollie brand is their bread and butter and if they made a perfect one people would stop buying them repeatedly to get 'better and better versions'.  

citizenfox

Good discussion. I’ve owned gen Rolex, Pam, IWC, JLC and Omega. I’m an inveterate flipper which is much easier to do with reps, or was when the sales forums were much more active. 

rek001

Great discussion, thoughtful. I guess I'll go get a ZF Pelagos, which I've wanted for awhile now. Even though it will probably swamp my 6.5" wrist.

BadPickle

ebel1911  panda