SiyonKart

How do you know when you can afford a Rolex?

SiyonKart

Trying to ask this in a way that reflects what I am mulling over. I would like to buy a Rolex for myself, as at this point I am convinced buying a lesser watch just wouldn't cut the mustard for me. I do ok, but I am not wealthy by any stretch. I could save the money to pay cash for a Rolex, but for someone like me that would be about 5% of my total net worth. This makes me wonder if its responsible to spend so much on a watch, especially one I would wear and not hold as an investment.  https://19216801.onl/

Could you guys please share your perspective on this? Would you think it makes  sense to spend a non-trivial amount of your net wort https://routerlogin.uno/h on a watch? At what point does it become irresponsible? If you could possibly use numbers to help me gauge where Im at I would appreciate it.

Edited by SiyonKart

FudgyDocker

This is a replica watch forum. Therefore, buy a high-end replica. You won't have to worry about spending stupid amounts of money on a gen, especially if you're going to wear it loads and scuff it up.

If you want buy a gen, stick it in the box and wear it sparingly for special occasions. Protect the investment, and not worry about scuffing it up from everyday use.

Philiusmaximus

Totally down to you. Too many variables for others to comment.

Who knows what's round corner. If it's not money you can afford to have locked into a watch them don't do it.

It's a luxury item after all, not a necessity

• Like 1

Rokerite

If you need to ask the question, you can't afford it :D

• Like 3

Theviking

Buy it, wear it every day for a year, sell it. Then buy a rep of the same one and move on with your life 

• Like 3

fatarms
43 minutes ago, Rokerite said:

If you need to ask the question, you can't afford it :D

This is probably good advice here.  Buy the rep and start saving money for down the road to offset the cost of the gen.  Two years from now, you may even want a different model.  Be patient, it'll come with time if you really want it. 

Redfire1066

Some great advice from the members above.   

@SiyonKart Have you already decided which Gen model you want?  Because if its a Steel Sports Rolex model chances are you will be waiting a while to post a wristie of it due to the waiting lists.  Unless of course you pay over the odds at an inflated price.  Chances are though that for those models it is eventually money in the bank.   Like many here on RWG I can assure you that the novelty of wearing a Gen prestige watch could be over for you in a matter of hours on your wrist  ..  suddenly saying ....  . ... ..   . . why on earth have I spent all this money on a watch, then frightened to wear it and is relegated to live in a drawer with its dust buddies!!!!  My suggestion is try a few Rep's from the TD's and get the feel for them . ..  get the vibe if the watch suits you  . . ... . make mistakes with them . ..  love them and hate them . . .  wear it and then sell it on .. ..  .. end of the day a watch is only for telling the time ...  ... truth is no one really cares which watch you wear when they meet you, except yourself and maybe if your lucky one or two genuine hobbyist ..  . ..  for some it is that quint essential need to look like a success in the eyes of others and for a few it is a hobby.   For many on RWG and like forums it is fun and interesting  .. ..  .. . .  personally I am as happy wearing  a $10 Casio as a high end prestige swiss timepiece. ... . ..I honestly like them all and enjoy them for what they are individually and there primary function,  .. .. . . for telling the time.  Maybe you'll catch the Rep bug like the rest of us and if so I look forward to viewing your photos here on RWG.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

deju
1 hour ago, Philiusmaximus said:

Totally down to you. Too many variables for others to comment.

Who knows what's round corner. If it's not money you can afford to have locked into a watch them don't do it.

It's a luxury item after all, not a necessity

Disagree and agree, if you need to go on the lam, you can easily transport gens abroad, depending on when you got them you can pawn for cash any time without a loss. 

If you’re a person that will need access to that cash fast regularly I guess not worth the risk. 

what else will you invest in? If you can put it in something better. I’m 165% up on a Rolex approx 5years in and I wear not store. 

BravoDelta

Like others have said, this is a rep forum. So this question will get different responses than say, the Rolex forum. That said, I bought a new gen Rolex 126600 early this year. I paid about 10% over retail at the time on the grey market. I wear it often in rotation and I'm pretty confident it will be worth at least what I paid if I ever sold it. But, it's the only Rolex I ever really wanted so I don't expect to sell it anytime soon. Make sure it's the one you really want so you don't have any regrets. And be advised that they all don't keep going up in value. So with some models you may have trouble recouping your investment if you have second thoughts and decide to sell.

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus
39 minutes ago, deju said:

Disagree and agree, if you need to go on the lam, you can easily transport gens abroad, depending on when you got them you can pawn for cash any time without a loss. 

If you’re a person that will need access to that cash fast regularly I guess not worth the risk. 

what else will you invest in? If you can put it in something better. I’m 165% up on a Rolex approx 5years in and I wear not store. 

You're only 165% up once you have that cash. It's like Bitcoin. I've a few mates who reckon they're the next Elon Musk and have made a fortune in Bitcoin. Until they cash out it's just numbers on a screen.

Look at us having all grown up discussions.

Sod that, let's get back to arguing about end links and date fonts

Psssniper

Start buying replicas

When you've spent about $20,000 say roughly 40-60 watches, then you'll think Man! I should have just saved up and bought that Rolex!!

Start selling off your collection on the forums with the phrase "Going Gen!"

Buy the Gen before you've sold all your Rep collection

Decide to keep most of the Rep collection anyway

• Like 7

Devil
28 minutes ago, Psssniper said:

Start buying replicas

When you've spent about $20,000 say roughly 40-60 watches, then you'll think Man! I should have just saved up and bought that Rolex!!

This is fantastic advice and I've done it with a few Tudors haha.

• Like 1

Redfire1066
57 minutes ago, Psssniper said:

Start buying replicas

@Psssniper  True  ...  .. .. :frusty:

• Like 1

Intresting

I would buy a Rollie only from an AD. I won't pay the silly froth that is created by Rolex for steel examples.   For that reason, I would rather buy many other fine gens before a Rolex, unless the AD calls and tells me I have an allocation.   I will probably wear it for 1 month and sell it, take the money and buy other gens.

• Like 2

GingerApple

OP, you absolutely should not be spending 5% of your net worth on a watch. Save it for hookers and blow.

tribefan
26 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

OP, you absolutely should not be spending 5% of your net worth on a watch. Save it for hookers and blow.

Indeed. When the hookers see you wearing gen rolex, price goes up. That's what Seiko's are for.

Intresting

Don't take advice from a @TheGingerFerret   Its probably how he caught the Covid while getting sucked in.

Save your pennies.  Get a gen Speedy.   Or Zenith flyback.  Or Heuer Monaco.  Or an AP.  Get a gen that reps will probably never make a good copy.  Rollie reps are so close to the gen that most will call you out for being a fake even if it was a gen.

black263

You know you can afford a Rolex when you realise that your collection of rep and gen cost over £15k.  Then you look at your collection without a Rolex in sight and know you made the right decision.

• Like 1

Flinnt

I’m with Intresting, when an AD will sell me one I want at retail, I will buy it. I don’t expect that to ever happen. 
I love my hulk rep. It gets worn as often as my gen speedies. I have money to blow on gens at the moment. There’s not a chance I’m paying the current prices on a hulk. I can have several better watches, or I can have the hulk. It’s a no brainer. 
As to how much to spend. If that money would be useful elsewhere in life, don’t buy a rolex. A rolex is for excess cash that you have no idea what to do with. And even then you should spend it on a holiday. 

• Like 2

trailboss99

Hey do what you like it's your money but the term "lesser watch" . . .

A Rolex is pretty much a way overpriced mass-produced machine-made watch that costs Rolex maybe a grand to make, tops. You are paying half the purchase price for their promotion and marketing. budget. Are they a well made, nice watch? Hell yes but not for what you pay, there are far better timepieces out there for less; a Grand Seiko would be a good example or a JLC. Both are true examples of Haute Horology for less than the cost of a robot-made sub. 

• Like 3

BoobBandit
40 minutes ago, trailboss99 said:

A Rolex is pretty much a way overpriced mass-produced machine-made watch that costs Rolex maybe a grand to make, tops. You are paying half the purchase price for their promotion and marketing. budget. Are they a well made, nice watch? Hell yes but not for what you pay, there are far better timepieces out there for less; a Grand Seiko would be a good example or a JLC. Both are true examples of Haute Horology for less than the cost of a robot-made sub. 

My 2000 dollar seiko agees :bananarider:

BoobBandit
7 minutes ago, BoobBandit said:

My 2000 dollar seiko agees :bananarider:

j5rHwt.jpg

narikaa
13 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

^^^^ This

But it's all mostly driven by the mindset of mid-tier suit dwellers tediously treading the boards in the prescribed and accepted progression:

1. The steel sport Rollie comes with the fledgeling suit's desire to show his peers how he's 'made it' 
  2. When a more expansive credit status accrues the steel one  gets PX'd for the two-tone or maybe the dizzy heights of all gold - so as to differentiate it's owner from all the 'lesser' suits
  3. Then when actual fiscal success comes knocking, its time for the Patek  - and the elevated strata it engenders, allowing the satisfaction of veiled scorn for all the Rolex aspirants in the grand corporate pissing contest
  • Like 3

Redfire1066
13 hours ago, trailboss99 said:

@trailboss99 . .. . .  wise words Sir ... :thumbsup2:

tribefan
36 minutes ago, narikaa said:

^^^^ This

But it's all mostly driven by the mindset of mid-tier suit dwellers tediously treading the boards in the prescribed and accepted progression:

1. The steel sport Rollie comes with the fledgeling suit's desire to show his peers how he's 'made it' 
  2. When a more expansive credit status accrues the steel one  gets PX'd for the two-tone or maybe the dizzy heights of all gold - so as to differentiate it's owner from all the 'lesser' suits
  3. Then when actual fiscal success comes knocking, its time for the Patek  - and the elevated strata it engenders, allowing the satisfaction of veiled scorn for all the Rolex aspirants in the grand corporate pissing contest

And nothing says "fuck you corporate suits" like a $250K plastic RM.