brang1

Worst and Safest places to Wear Luxury Watches

brang1

bit of a list on the villains after your watch

Fergulator72

Australia,one in the top 50

Sent from my SM-F700F using Tapatalk

Flinnt

Seems pretty meaningless. Going off a “crime” statistic from one website. No explanation of what data they collected from whom. Not at all watch related. Seemingly not even related to assaults and robbery in public. 
Canberra rates higher than Tokyo. I would have no problem wearing a Patek or similar (open to donations to demonstrate) around Tokyo, I wouldn’t think twice. I hide my omega and avoid rolie reps in Canberra. Just my perception but I feel a lot safer in Tokyo and my experience backs my perception so far. 

Intresting

Dang.  If those well tattooed men are into Drug trafficking, or rapping, or other lucrative industries illegal or otherwise, they are more likely to own those high end blings than I.   :)

GingerApple
32 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

I would have no problem wearing a Patek or similar (open to donations to demonstrate) around Tokyo, I wouldn’t think twice.

Hell yeah. You could probably go to a Starbucks, leave you briefcase, wallet, iPad, iPhone and Patek on a table by itself, go to the toilet, order a drink and come back 5 minutes later to find all your stuff exactly where you left it.

• Like 1

Flinnt
1 minute ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Hell yeah. You could probably go to a Starbucks, leave you briefcase, wallet, iPad, iPhone and Patek on a table by itself, go to the toilet, order a drink and come back 5 minutes later to find all your stuff exactly where you left it.

Well I may have drunkenly walked out of a restaurant without my passport and thousands of dollars worth of yen. Spent the next few hours walking off the drunkenness only to sober up enough to realise I don’t have my passport and cash. 
Walked back into restaurant and waitress looks at me and states “bag, wait here” and runs off and comes back with my little pouch bag with every yen and the passport in it. 

GingerApple
22 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

Well I may have drunkenly walked out of a restaurant without my passport and thousands of dollars worth of yen. Spent the next few hours walking off the drunkenness only to sober up enough to realise I don’t have my passport and cash. 
Walked back into restaurant and waitress looks at me and states “bag, wait here” and runs off and comes back with my little pouch bag with every yen and the passport in it. 

Amazing place, amazing people.

brang1
1 hour ago, Flinnt said:

Did she have facial tattoos?

Flinnt
2 hours ago, brang1 said:

Did she have facial tattoos?

I don’t think she could go undercover in that gang above. 

• Like 1

tonyh7

In Lagos Nigeria there was a fad for watch thefts. Reputedly if you let your hand dangle out of the car window sporting a luxury watch, there was a good chance someone would nick it by the simple expedient of a swift chop with a machete to remove the watch/hand combo. Also in Nigeria Timex and Casio are luxury brands.

robsterwebb

Worked in Lagos a good few years back, was told by our security to hide any luxury\high value watches.

Abe Fromen
On 14/09/2021 at 19:19, TheGingerFerret said:

This also goes for Iceland, BTW. Super low crime, super nice and honest, upstanding people. I wanna go back. 

• Like 1

GenTLe
On 15/09/2021 at 09:04, tonyh7 said:

In Lagos Nigeria there was a fad for watch thefts. Reputedly if you let your hand dangle out of the car window sporting a luxury watch, there was a good chance someone would nick it by the simple expedient of a swift chop with a machete to remove the watch/hand combo. Also in Nigeria Timex and Casio are luxury brands.

People from Brazil told me the same, without the machete part.

tribefan

I've been to Joberg a few times. I wouldn't walk down the street with or without a watch, you may never come back. One co-worker based there had been robbed seven times, but 'only' shot at once.

tonyh7
10 hours ago, tribefan said:

I've been to Joberg a few times. I wouldn't walk down the street with or without a watch, you may never come back. One co-worker based there had been robbed seven times, but 'only' shot at once.

I played golf in SA with a guy from Joburg. He was at pains to assure me that it was no more unsafe than parts of London. Afterwards we met his teenage daughter and her friend. He later told me the friend lost her mother in a botched car jacking, though he added ‘we suspect it was a contract killing’. 

tribefan
6 hours ago, tonyh7 said:

I played golf in SA with a guy from Joburg. He was at pains to assure me that it was no more unsafe than parts of London. Afterwards we met his teenage daughter and her friend. He later told me the friend lost her mother in a botched car jacking, though he added ‘we suspect it was a contract killing’. 

I golfed there too, beautiful day, breezy, temp never got over 75 and I got the worst sunburn of my life. The 10 hour flight that night was painful.

On the flip side, had a driver from Pretoria that I had a long conversation with about weddings and getting married. The dowry customs they have there are wild. The groom has to purchase the bride and they still set the price based on heads of cattle, and then convert that into money or material goods. Then the bride and groom has to meet with all the extended family, aunts and uncles and such, to 'get permission'. Which involves more gifts of linens and household goods, etc.... When I told him the custom in America was the opposite, that the bride's family generally pays for the wedding and the new couple gets money and gifts from the extended family to start their new life his mind was blown.

Fascinating place, and sure there are parts of London I would not wander around in, but I never saw gangs roaming the streets with assault rifles and machine guns. I suspect they were hired security or mercenaries to guard the shops just before closing. The hookers were already lined up soliciting cars at 4pm in the afternoon. This was about six blocks from the center of town. A thunderstorm had flooded the freeway, so the driver took an alternate route that he should not have taken. Man I was glad to get out of there.

tonyh7
17 hours ago, tribefan said:

I golfed there too, beautiful day, breezy, temp never got over 75 and I got the worst sunburn of my life. The 10 hour flight that night was painful.

On the flip side, had a driver from Pretoria that I had a long conversation with about weddings and getting married. The dowry customs they have there are wild. The groom has to purchase the bride and they still set the price based on heads of cattle, and then convert that into money or material goods. Then the bride and groom has to meet with all the extended family, aunts and uncles and such, to 'get permission'. Which involves more gifts of linens and household goods, etc.... When I told him the custom in America was the opposite, that the bride's family generally pays for the wedding and the new couple gets money and gifts from the extended family to start their new life his mind was blown.

Fascinating place, and sure there are parts of London I would not wander around in, but I never saw gangs roaming the streets with assault rifles and machine guns. I suspect they were hired security or mercenaries to guard the shops just before closing. The hookers were already lined up soliciting cars at 4pm in the afternoon. This was about six blocks from the center of town. A thunderstorm had flooded the freeway, so the driver took an alternate route that he should not have taken. Man I was glad to get out of there.

I thought it was both one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I’ve ever been to and one of the scariest. On one occasion I took a ‘shortcut’ and ended up driving 10 miles through a squatter camp that extended to the horizon on both sides of the road. I was later told they were refugees from Zim and Mozambique, and that the place was awash with AK47s left over from old wars. No one actually said how stupid I’d been. They didn’t have to. 

• Like 1