Sign in to follow this  
E-Dub

Wobbly Rotor

E-Dub

Hey guys,

I've had the new PAM 328L/312 from Toro for about a month now. The thing is a beast and I love it, but it has one thing that is driving me crazy and that is the rotor.

Now, its not just the noise as it spins which is well documented and livable. What happens is that as it spins opposite the crown, the rotor rubs the back crystal causing a little tap tap tap noise.

My first thought is that the movement may have just been put in the case crooked/uneven, but if I get the rotor opposite the crown and tilt it, it has play. IE it will move away and back to the glass as I tilt it. Actually, as I write this, I have noticed that this play is there 360 degrees, it is just when the rotor is opposite the crown that the play allows contact with the caseback glass.

So should the rotor have this type of movement/play? Can it be tightened to reduce it? since the play is there 360 degrees, but the contact is only opposite the rotor, do you think the movement needs tightened in that area?

Although Toro was great to buy from, one thing I WILL NOT DO is send a watch back. I'm still waiting for another dealer to fix an issue with DOA watches from February and frankly would just rather try my luck opening this thing up with the guidance of the board. If it can't be fixed, fine.

Thoughts?

E-Dub

MikeMcNair

see my suggestion in the general forum about a noisy/broken rotor. :ttiwwop:

E-Dub

OK,

Here's the update. I took the bracelet and case back off. Got a really sharp screwdriver and tightened the movement holder screws, but they seemed tight, then I checked to see if the rotor screw was tight. I cant gain enough traction on it to get it to go either way, but it seems solid/tight.

So on further inspection it seems that there is just a lot of play in the bearings. IE the rotor seems solidly and even attached to its bearing assembly half, and the center screw seems to be holding the central bearing half in place, but if I just allow the head of the screwdriver to rest anwhere on the rotor, it has play of about 1 mm at the bearings themselves.

I count 5 bearing recesses and 5 bb so I don't think anything is missing. Is this just the quality we're dealing with, or can the tolerances on this be improved by a watchsmith?

Like I said, I'm 99% happy with it, I just wish the clak, clak, clak would go away and am thinking maybe I'd just be better with a 005 or 177 with the handwind.

Any other suggestions before I close 'er up?

Thanks,

E-Dub

MikeMcNair

buy a new rotor bearing insert, or send it to me to install one ^_^