Sign in to follow this  
fredmckruger

Is this a quality rep for my wife?

fredmckruger

Hello everyone, I am a noob when it comes to replica watches. I am looking for a nice SS Rolex Oyster Perpetual for my wife. She has always loved them but I just can't justify the crazy amount for a watch! I don't mind spending a couple of hundred dollars though so I figured I might be able to find a quality rep for her. After reading through the trusted dealers I came across this watch.

http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=6180

Is this a good watch? Could anyone give me a guesstimate of it's accuracy to the real thing? Is there a better rep out there for roughly the same price?

Thanks in advance

wat44

its advertized as Swiss, so I would avoid it

tesmith2112
Hello everyone, I am a noob when it comes to replica watches. I am looking for a nice SS Rolex Oyster Perpetual for my wife. She has always loved them but I just can't justify the crazy amount for a watch! I don't mind spending a couple of hundred dollars though so I figured I might be able to find a quality rep for her. After reading through the trusted dealers I came across this watch.

http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=6180

Is this a good watch? Could anyone give me a guesstimate of it's accuracy to the real thing? Is there a better rep out there for roughly the same price?

Thanks in advance

I would go to Rolex's website and find a ladies watch you like, then save the picture and email it to Mary at [email protected]. I bought my wife a 31MM Rolex DateJust with a copper dial. She loves it. I wouldn't get a 26MM, I think your wife would be happier with a 31MM. My wife has thin wrist too, still looks awesome.

Luthier
its advertized as Swiss, so I would avoid it

Swiss movement. So, because it's not a fast selling Sub, but an old inventory, probably, there is a Swiss ETA movement.

But this watch is so small, even ladies wear now 35mm - 42mm watches. Tesmith is right.

mulder

I thought timeshops was a trusted dealer on RWI?

wat44

thats right Mulder, but I wouldnt buy "swiss" from them

at best, you'll get a dodgy old swiss thats worse than asian clone

Balad1

Women aren't into the whole automatic movement thing. They want it down and dirty and easy. Wear it, time accurate , no fuss = quartz watch.

This is what I bought my wife and it's been great, quality and is super accurate: The gen is quartz too.

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

I bought it from Mary at Watch International: [email protected]

Somewhere around $150+- in Dec 2010.

It has a deployment clasp and quality leather band.

Del

I agree with Balad - you might be better with a quartz movement. My wife has a Rolex Datejust and whenever she wants to wear it I need to set it for her so if I'm not around or forget to set it then she doesn't wear it. However, she also has a white Chanel J12 quartz which she loves and wears continually! The Rolex is rarely seen. :mulderthesbkiller:

mbjoer

My GF draws the line with ticking hands. To her that equals fake. So if quartz it has to be one without running seconds.

To the OP I would say look for the same one you just found, but with an Asian clone movement. That is likely to be as good as the Swiss, but less expensive.

As to Timesshop, they are pretty good dealers, but if you are new to this game I too would go with Mary. She will give you a far better service.

You may then re-visit Timesshop when you have had more opportunity to learn about the limitations of reps. They do from time to time have some very good offers.

fredmckruger

Ok, So I decided to take tessmith2112's advise and go with a 31mm watch. I emailed Mary a picture of what I am looking for, and she thinks she can get it. She has quoted me a price of $278 for swiss eta 2836, and $193 for asian eta 2836.

I asked her to send me pictures and haven't recieved a response yet. Are these good prices? They seem a little higher than other trusted dealers..... I have read in the forums that the swiss eta movement is often just the asian being advertised as swiss, so should i just stick with the asian? It also seems that the asian movement is real hit or miss as far as quality, since Mary is so highly reccomended does this give me some measure of reassurance of quality regarding the movement?

Thanks for all your help, here is a picture of what I sent to Mary.....

rolexdetail2.jpg

NFleischer

You can most likely go with the regular 36mm. mens DJ. Women are wearing alot of those big fashion

chronos > 42mm. At least 31mm. Personally I wouldn't worry too much if its 'Swiss' -may be NOS.

Most women do NOT understand auto mov't with screw down crowns anyway.

Bosox

There's a very nice quartz Must de Cartier SS readily available for around $100US. Thin and a good choice for casual or dress wear. No second hand. Feminine. Sorry but I don't know how to post pix. My wife was hesitant at first, but now it's her first choice over a Rolex rep that she's had for years. It's not meant for a big wrist, however.

David543

If gen is mechanical then it has to be, but many ladies gens are quartz. Like Balad and Del, I have found women care about as much about mechanical movements as they do about the specs of cars and gadgets, ie not at all! Most just want it to work and prefer quartz if possible to eliminate the 'faff' factor.

E-Dub

My wife has a white ceramic J12, a cartier tank francais, a cartier ballon bleu, a tag aquaracer and a ladies DJ.

All are quartz except th e DJ. All get wrist time except the DJ.

She says its for 2 reasons: 1) setting it all the time, 2) DJ are the "old lady" watch.

She loves and wears the cartiers anytime she's "dressed", but the Aquaracer gets the most wrist time:

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...5&hl=ladies

Pink MOP with bling bezel.

Finally, I think the next purchase for her will be a midi GMTII

http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...867&hl=midi

She saw Cameron Diaz wearing a Sub in Knight & Day and thought it looked good, so this will be similar but different.

Before you start, no pics of the watches, my wife, or Diaz to post at this time. Could get some to you but they're what you see in Roberts pics.

E-Dub

Luthier

Best Quartz with no seconds hand from Mary. Two tone, beautiful dial, everyday beater of my girl/friend.

02-39.jpg

01-30.jpg

05-27.jpg

04-29.jpg

Bosox
Best Quartz with no seconds hand from Mary. Two tone, beautiful dial, everyday beater of my girl/friend.

02-39.jpg

01-30.jpg

05-27.jpg

04-29.jpg

I've got the male version in a gen. Beautiful watch and like so many Cartiers, usable for fun or fashion

ebzen02

Just bought a Cartier balloon bleu and it is a really nice rep.. Really accurate looking as well! A tad on the small side though..heck my wife has like 4 in wrist...so it was perfect!

jameo210369

Tell your wife she can always ask you for the time and buy yourself a new watch.

fredmckruger

too funny! you have obviously not met my wife........

Member X

LOL @ jameo :lol:

She saw Cameron Diaz wearing a Sub in Knight & Day

Rolex must have paid a fucking fortune for that amount of product placement - I swear it got more screentime than Tom Cruise... :rolleyes:

fredmckruger

Ok, So Mary has written me back and this is what she sent....

"I can find it for you.

If you want asian 2836 movement to fit it, it is a little expensive to get it serviced prior to shipment. If that, I advise you pick the watch with new swiss eta 2836 movement. The new eta swiss movement is not needed to be service before shipped. it can work well.

Regards

Mary"

1) Should I still go with the Asian movement and just plan on having it serviced or should I go with the new Swiss movement? It seems many dealers can not tell Asian or Swiss from what I have read on the forums.... She has quoted $193 for the Asian and $278 for the Swiss.

2) I have requested pictures and haven't recieved any yet, so I assume from her email she must source it first. Do I pay her prior to recieving photos? This seems a little odd to me....

3) I have done extensive research on this particular model, do I need to provide her with any further details such as the "rolex" on the rehaut etc. or will the picture I provided suffice?

Thanks in advance

Member X

I don't think we can ever be 100% sure a swiss movement is actually new; I understood they were often reclaimed from old watches and is some cases modded with chinese parts to fix them up.

What size are you going for? Standard men's size? Or a smaller ladies' size? I am not sure if the 2836 fits in a mid- or -small size case?? :) In which case you'd have no option as I am not sure if the smaller ETA movements have been cloned!

I trust Mary to get Swiss more than other dealers, she has historically always been good for her word, but as you say, no-one is infallible.

I have previously sent funds before getting photos - it depends on if she has any stock. She only holds very little stock so if she has to find it then it is likely she needs the payment so she can buy it! I understand it is like paying for something before seeing it, but she can usually swap a watch if it is not suitable. It might be worth checking, though, not all the factories she deals with will swap it. I am sure she will provide a nice piece though, she is good at her job :) but don't forget you can't expect perfection in a rep! lol :thumbsup:

You can always include the details that are found on the gen in a list in your next email, perhaps with suitably related-titled pics, and ask her to see if she can get a version that is as accurate as possible. Don't stress too much though - her women friends are even more unlikely than your male friends to be watch geeks, and with all the custom re-dial versions out there, I very much doubt she would ever be called out if it had the correct sweep from the clone/ETA movement! :)

fredmckruger

I have decided on the mid-size 31mm watch. As suggested by another member here I think that will be the best size for her.

I think I have decided on an asian clone, and if and when it fails have the movement replaced with swiss that I can buy here in the U.S.A., I have read quite a bit on replacing the movement and it doesn't seem too difficult with the right tools. I am a mechanical engineer and I think I would like to try this myself, seems like a fun project.

Makes me feel more comfortable knowing that others have paid prior to seeing photos, granted it's only a couple hundred dollars but it's not like I go out handing $100's to people I pass on the street :P

Member X

Cool, good stuff B)

Mary is good and always tries to do her best and get the best reps out there :rofl:

Post the QC pics when you get them if you want to - although posting pics to just ask "what's wrong with it??" is generally discouraged on the rep fora (because it usually ends up with people tearing the rep apart, even though they're all like it from the factory and there's no mechanical or visual flaws outside of the general rep differences), we all like to see new purchases :wave: and you are free to ask about specific things you think might be faulty! ;)

I will look forward to seeing the pics, there's precious little info on ladies reps compared to the wealth of info on mens reps :)