TheMouseRanUpTheWall

GF Avenger Hurricane 45 12H Loose Rotor

TheMouseRanUpTheWall

joVaIP.jpg

First, I love this piece. Aesthetically, it’s what I wanted for the field and the range.

Functionally, everything works but I find it to be very loud. Straight away, I noticed a rattle as I was putting it on my wrist. once on, I found the motor to be quiet audible with the slightest wrist turn.

I contacted a local watchsmith, who advertised working with very nice watches, and he confirmed he will service a rep… He even told me he is Chinese and familiar with the factories. However, he indicated this particular model is extremely difficult to “get into” and didn’t believe he could make the watch any better because reps are notoriously known for being “rough…” Before I go scouring for a watchsmith to ship this to for service (I’m thinking a loose rotor), is this true or did he just not want to be bothered? 

This is my second rep and my first (Rolex) is silent.  

If this information is obvious, please don’t eat me alive. I was nervous enough starting a thread on this page. 

tribefan

I believe that is an A7750 chrono movement. Although it is a good idea to get these serviced, you should not need a full service to fix the rotor noise issue, in fact it is a pretty simple fix for someone who knows what they are doing. It is not a great idea to use the chrono features at all, even though they work, or use them very sparingly.

I would understand a watchmaker having some hesitancy servicing a chinese chrono movement. It is hard to find a rep watchmaker that will work on these at all. Let him know this is a 7750 clone movement and you only want the noisy rotor issue fixed.

• Like 2

GenTLe

You just need a very very tiny amount of Noebius HP1300 in the rotor bearing and that's it. No need for a service.

And beware: don't use the chrono if not necessary, it puts stress on the movement.

gooner2826
53 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

You just need a very very tiny amount of Noebius HP1300 in the rotor bearing and that's it. No need for a service.

And beware: don't use the chrono if not necessary, it puts stress on the movement.

+1 did this to my navitimer run and it made it much better but doesn’t completely solve the issue.  I eventually just removed the rotor and used as a hand wind 

TheMouseRanUpTheWall
10 hours ago, tribefan said:

I believe that is an A7750 chrono movement. Although it is a good idea to get these serviced, you should not need a full service to fix the rotor noise issue, in fact it is a pretty simple fix for someone who knows what they are doing. It is not a great idea to use the chrono features at all, even though they work, or use them very sparingly.

I would understand a watchmaker having some hesitancy servicing a chinese chrono movement. It is hard to find a rep watchmaker that will work on these at all. Let him know this is a 7750 clone movement and you only want the noisy rotor issue fixed.

Thank you! I’ll take it back this week. I just turned off the chrono.  I didn’t realize I left it on. I might have been hypnotized  by the sweeping hand when I shot a wrist roll. 

3 hours ago, gooner2826 said:

+1 did this to my navitimer run and it made it much better but doesn’t completely solve the issue.  I eventually just removed the rotor and used as a hand wind 

Interesting. how does removing the motor effect any other functionality? Did you do it yourself ?

Theviking
52 minutes ago, TheMouseRanUpTheWall said:

Thank you! I’ll take it back this week. I just turned off the chrono.  I didn’t realize I left it on. I might have been hypnotized  by the sweeping hand when I shot a wrist roll. 

Interesting. how does removing the motor effect any other functionality? Did you do it yourself ?

Most of the time I see a gen chrono in the wild the chrono is running. 

tribefan

The rotor has a series of gears connected to it that wind the mainspring as it spins. If you wear it everyday you should not have to wind it. If you take it off, it no longer autowinds so you will have to wind it manually daily. They generally have a power reserve 40 hours fully wound, less if you use the chrono frequently.

gooner2826
3 hours ago, TheMouseRanUpTheWall said:

Nope no loss to functionality. Just meant i had to hand wind it daily as it didn’t automatically wind, was the trade off I was willing to take for a virtually silent chrono watch! 

easy as taking off the back and unscrewing the rotor. Can always try it, if you fancy handwinding and want it to auto wind again just screw the rotor back on 

Edited by gooner2826