Sign in to follow this  
Pohoho

Tough Luck on a Tough Lug Screw

Pohoho

Hi all:

I've a lug screw that protrudes out on this new PAM rep like this:

photozq.th.jpg

It definitely not a case of a lug screw that was created too long for the job, as I noticed from the opposite end that there are still some way to go for it to sit flushed with the entry side surface.

And these screws are made of lead or what?! When I try to screw it down further, the slit on the screw head got deformed. It wouldn't even barge when I try to unscrew it, thinking that I can just remove it and file it down a little and putting it back in.

It's stuck dead and that means I'm also stuck with the black rubber straps. I suspect they just rammed the screw in place at the assembly line.

Anyone with success in getting a stuck lug screw out? Or other solution to this problem?

MikeMcNair

heat is your friend, as well as tapping the threaded end a tad with a thumbtack that has the point cut off it.

then get the custom spring bars that LOOK LIKE the long screw, and NEVER EVER have this problem again (which is VERY COMMON BTW)

downfromtheglen

Had the same problem. I followed Mike's advice and it's now solved.

greg_r

Good tip, Mike.

The PAM springbars are available from the RWGShop btw.

MikeMcNair
Good tip, Mike.

thanks greg, i have had to fix a BAZILLION stripped/stuck/shithead screws. lol

Pohoho
heat is your friend, as well as tapping the threaded end a tad with a thumbtack that has the point cut off it.

then get the custom spring bars that LOOK LIKE the long screw, and NEVER EVER have this problem again (which is VERY COMMON BTW)

Hi Mikemcnair, just how do I apply heat, use a cigarette lighter? This may cause some soot or discoloration or rainbow. Or dip this end into hot watch?