Platecage

Datejust 41mm GEN or REP

Platecage

Hello!

Hope everybody ready for Monday:bananarider:

So last week a met a guy that has a datejust. Says it is a Gen. 

What do you guys think?

jyNypi.jpg jyN1Fb.jpg jyNYaX.jpg

Wires

Where was he while you were taking the photos and why are you bothered?

Platecage

He sent me the Photos because I wanted to buy it. Price is good, suspiciously good but no papers or box… 

deju

Bezel and dial are a no from me. But I’d not buy without case back off regardless 

Platecage

Deju, 

Thanks for your answer.
It is late Sunday and I’m a bit tired, do I understand you correct that you think it is a gen?

all best. 

BadApple
14 minutes ago, Platecage said:

Deju, 

Thanks for your answer.
It is late Sunday and I’m a bit tired, do I understand you correct that you think it is a gen?

all best. 

If someone says "Bezel and dial are a no from me. But I’d not buy without case back off regardless" then they obviously think it's a bag of shit  

• Like 3

GC

No box, no paperwork, surprisingly good deal… hmmmm 

Why risk it? 

tell him/her you will meet them at a Rolex shop to give it a once over, their response will tell you a lot. 

Platecage

BadApple,

Thanks for making it clear.  Weekend kind of harsh :shrek: Do you also think it’s a rep?

I agree on the bezel. But the watch looks dirty in general and can not understand why somebody wouldn’t clean it a bit before taking pictures.

I was considered over that the number 4 on the date was a little bit spilled out in the right upper corner. But comparing other 41mm DJ it seams right.

GC,
Know another person that got an omega from him with papers, it is thru him I met the guy.

will try to get him to the Rolex shop.

thanks everybody responding!

deju
2 hours ago, Platecage said:

BadApple,

Thanks for making it clear.  Weekend kind of harsh :shrek: Do you also think it’s a rep?

I agree on the bezel. But the watch looks dirty in general and can not understand why somebody wouldn’t clean it a bit before taking pictures.

I was considered over that the number 4 on the date was a little bit spilled out in the right upper corner. But comparing other 41mm DJ it seams right.

GC,
Know another person that got an omega from him with papers, it is thru him I met the guy.

will try to get him to the Rolex shop.

thanks everybody responding!

First off the only thing going for it is that it’s dirty, all my gen Rolex’s look like they have been to war… because the bonus of owning a gen is wearing it hard. Most gen owners (specifically Rolex) don’t really give a shit. 

If I see a shiny new a Rolex it screams fake. 

Philiusmaximus

Probably is gen but I'd be going through the necessary checks to make sure its not stolen, in need of a service, repaired with non OEM parts...

Even dealers get conned with a shitter of a watch so it's not worth the risk imho

• Like 1

Cap'n
1 hour ago, deju said:

First off the only thing going for it is that it’s dirty, all my gen Rolex’s look like they have been to war… because the bonus of owning a gen is wearing it hard. Most gen owners (specifically Rolex) don’t really give a shit. 

If I see a shiny new a Rolex it screams fake. 

Kinda agree but as a counter - My Seamaster is exactly as you describe (or at least it was before it went off for service)- My Seiko has taken over that role now and the Omega gets looked after a bit more - especially after the service bill!! My Monaco is near enough pristine and if I know I'm doing something now with a chance of scratching etc, then either the Seiko or a rep comes out (although the new gen on the way may take over that mantle as well!). I also refuse to wear an automatic (gen or rep) when I'm playing golf - may just be paranoid but that impact on the club can't be good for the watch (not the way I play golf anyway!!)

deju
24 minutes ago, Cap'n said:

Kinda agree but as a counter - My Seamaster is exactly as you describe (or at least it was before it went off for service)- My Seiko has taken over that role now and the Omega gets looked after a bit more - especially after the service bill!! My Monaco is near enough pristine and if I know I'm doing something now with a chance of scratching etc, then either the Seiko or a rep comes out (although the new gen on the way may take over that mantle as well!). I also refuse to wear an automatic (gen or rep) when I'm playing golf - may just be paranoid but that impact on the club can't be good for the watch (not the way I play golf anyway!!)

Imagine the damage if the club actually hit the ball :rofl:

• Like 1

Cap'n
39 minutes ago, deju said:

Imagine the damage if the club actually hit the ball :rofl:

:balls: I may be more worried about my arm than the watch if my golf was THAT bad!! :cry:

Intresting

got to ask.   If you can't really tell if its a gen or a fake from photo or looking at it, and you need to remove the case back.   Why buy the gen?   

• Like 1