Undinist

Could a GMT or Submariner bezel be fitted to a Day Date 40?

Undinist

What do you reckon? It wouldn't have to rotate. Although it would be better if it did. I've always wanted the Sub or the GMT to have the DD's weekday function. Putting a big ceramic bezel on the DD40 would be the next best thing. 

• Like 1

CurioLeo

No, of course not

Rx4Time

Well, not properly or functioning. The sub/GMT midcase has holes drilled for the assembly whereas the datejust doesn't.  Also, I believe the crystal and gasket are slightly different sizes.   Only way would be to epoxy one on. you might be better off seeing if a datejust or day date dial will fit correctly in a sub or GMT midcase.  Off hand I don't know the difference in diameter of the two, but it seems possible even if there was a slight difference between them. 

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

Is this real?

Undinist
7 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

Well, not properly or functioning. The sub/GMT midcase has holes drilled for the assembly whereas the datejust doesn't.  Also, I believe the crystal and gasket are slightly different sizes.   Only way would be to epoxy one on. you might be better off seeing if a datejust or day date dial will fit correctly in a sub or GMT midcase.  Off hand I don't know the difference in diameter of the two, but it seems possible even if there was a slight difference between them. 

So you think the DD movement and crown might function in  a DD case? Are the stems the same length?  

Rx4Time
12 hours ago, Undinist said:

So you think the DD movement and crown might function in  a DD case? Are the stems the same length?  

The stem length isn't the concern, it's the height and if it will line up with the tube.  This i don't honestly don't know.  

CurioLeo

Completely different case profile. Also, watches with a rotating bezel tend to have a smaller diameter dial compared to the same size case without a fixed bezel. Putting a sub/gmt bezel on a daydate case is not feasible due to differences in profile. Putting a daydate dial in a sub/gmt case would theoretically be feasible but would be too large and needs to be shaved - don't even know if that could be done depending on diameters. No need to go into details like stem height - it's an unworkable idea, period.

Edited by CurioLeo

Rx4Time
2 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Completely different case profile. Also, watches with a rotating bezel tend to have a smaller diameter dial compared to the same size case without a fixed bezel. Putting a sub/gmt bezel on a daydate case is not feasible due to differences in profile. Putting a daydate dial in a sub/gmt case would theoretically be feasible but will leave a clear gap between dial and the rehaut. No need to go into details like stem height - it's an unworkable idea, period.

You had to go and ruin my epiphany.... LoL.  Maybe a datejust dial could be transplanted to the existing movement?   That would solve the stem height issues and rehault gap concern?   

CurioLeo

Perhaps a modder somewhere has tried it ? I think it is way more trouble than it is worth and would probably cost shitload of money for the modder's time if it was a commercial exercise.

• Like 1

Rx4Time
25 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

Perhaps a modder somewhere has tried it ? I think it is way more trouble than it is worth and would probably cost shitload of money for the modder's time if it was a commercial exercise.

Agreed, but everyone has their own tastes and desires.   Perhaps a turn o graph would be an alternative to consider?

• Like 1

fatarms

Ask @KJ2020, he's more active over at RWI though.  That guy has a ton of info on Rolex modifications and has done quite a few impressive fantasy creations.

• Like 2

Undinist

Sounds like a non-starter. But thanks for the replies.

KJ2020
On 13/11/2021 at 19:35, Undinist said:

What do you reckon? It wouldn't have to rotate. Although it would be better if it did. I've always wanted the Sub or the GMT to have the DD's weekday function. Putting a big ceramic bezel on the DD40 would be the next best thing. 

The DD40 crystal is too large for a Sub or GMT bezel to fit over it, and those bezels would look awkward on the slim DD dress watch case.

If you really want to put a rep DD dial/hands /movement into a Sub or GMT case, that is certainly possible. You would need the following:

1. A dial from a 36mm DD - most rep ones are around 29mm, some less if you buy an aftermarket one like from Raffles. The DD40 dial is too big, at around 31mm.

2. A rep Sub or GMT case that has a dial seat around 29mm, if you don't want to do any dial shaving. 

Rep DD's will either be a 2813 or a 2836 so  just use a Sub or GMT case made for the same movement so there won't be a  stem height issue. I've never liked putting a GMT bezel on a watch that doesn't have a GMT hand (what's the point?), but if that's your pleasure then go for it.

I always have a ton of spare parts available, so I just put a rep 2836 DD36 dial in a Noob 2836 Sub case and the outer perimeter fit was perfect. 3135 rep cases usually have smaller dial seats and rehaut openings so a 2813/2836 case is a must for this reason as well. Cyclops lines up well with the date window. 

jnj01P.jpg

jnjbMW.jpg

On the inside, the dial's double chapter ring is too close to the rehaut and from most angles it appears truncated, though it isn't. Most current DD dials have this type of ring, though some are not as close to the dial's outer edge. So a dial would have to be more carefully chosen, one where this issue would not be present.  A gem dial or a stone dial would work for example. Alternately the rehaut could be sanded back a little (or a lot) and enable the use of many more rep dials.

Here's a couple of quick mock ups. At least with a Sub, the bezel still has a usable purpose. Like timing your cookies baking in the oven, yeah!

jnjg0R.jpg

jnjcTL.jpg

This is not a bad look, it might even grow on me enough to throw one together. 

Cheers and good luck!

Edited by KJ2020
  • Like 5

CollieWobbles

Well there's all the info you'll ever need, fair play to you for taking the time to post this @KJ2020

• Like 1

KJ2020

A few more mock ups to gawk at. So many combos could be done if this hybrid notion is pursued

jnAqnD.jpg

jnAYZo.jpg

jnAIsk.jpg

Edited by KJ2020
  • Like 2

GingerApple

Arrived in this thread.

Read the first post.

Laughed to myself at the sheer idiocy of the suggestion.

Saw KJs mockups and began to secretly crave the genius invention.....

• Like 3

Undinist

This is amazing! Bravo @KJ2020! It's as if Rolex has added the weekday window to a Sub. Which I've often thought would be my ideal watch. Isn't it odd that Rolex doesn't bother with slightly more complicated watches? Why did they give up on their triple date models?  The DD weekday window is, to my mind, one of the best features of any watch, ever. They should put it in the Sub, the GMT, the Daytona, the Skydweller and the Yacht Master. 

I have a gold Sub 2836, which is my favourite watch to wear. I'm now trying to imagine it with various DD36 dials. I've often worn a watch on each wrist - my gold Sub on the left, because it's so good looking, and for timing my vegetables, plus a DD40 on the right, for when I can't remember which day it is, which is about six times a day. But my Sub recently stopped working - probably because it was never lubed adequately.  So this is the perfect time to give it some weekday surgery! KJ, would you consider the job? I'm not qualified...taking links out of a bracelet is at the limit of my skills! 

elconquistador

Could I get a 7753 date plunger attached to my no date submariner?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Rx4Time
10 hours ago, KJ2020 said:

A few more mock ups to gawk at. So many combos could be done if this hybrid notion is pursued

jnAqnD.jpg

jnAYZo.jpg

jnAIsk.jpg

I generally don't care for iced watches, but this combination actually looks pretty nice.

• Like 1

CurioLeo
26 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

I generally don't care for iced watches, but this combination actually looks pretty nice.

I was about to say the same thing. 

• Like 2

KJ2020
On 20/11/2021 at 12:08, Undinist said:

This is amazing! Bravo @KJ2020! It's as if Rolex has added the weekday window to a Sub. Which I've often thought would be my ideal watch. Isn't it odd that Rolex doesn't bother with slightly more complicated watches? Why did they give up on their triple date models?  The DD weekday window is, to my mind, one of the best features of any watch, ever. They should put it in the Sub, the GMT, the Daytona, the Skydweller and the Yacht Master. 

I have a gold Sub 2836, which is my favourite watch to wear. I'm now trying to imagine it with various DD36 dials. I've often worn a watch on each wrist - my gold Sub on the left, because it's so good looking, and for timing my vegetables, plus a DD40 on the right, for when I can't remember which day it is, which is about six times a day. But my Sub recently stopped working - probably because it was never lubed adequately.  So this is the perfect time to give it some weekday surgery! KJ, would you consider the job? I'm not qualified...taking links out of a bracelet is at the limit of my skills! 

Bro, so sorry I can't take on any work. If you want to mod your gold Sub, first make sure it has a 2836. You can tell by the date flip, even in time setting mode. If if starts to change 15-20 minutes early (slow flip), it's a 2824. If it flips instantly it's a 2836 and would take a DD modding. I still like the idea. Good luck!

• Like 1

deju

@KJ2020 you’re an evil genius, those actually make this seem very cool, that onyx dial is sick! 

• Like 1

Undinist

Do we call it a Sub Day, or a Day Mariner, or what?

Undinist
On 29/11/2021 at 17:52, KJ2020 said:

make sure it has a 2836. You can tell by the date flip, even in time setting mode. If if starts to change 15-20 minutes early (slow flip), it's a 2824. If it flips instantly it's a 2836 and would take a DD modding.

It flips instantly at 11.54. So it's a 2836? It should be, I've found my order confirmation from Toro back in 2017, which says 2836 on it.  The watch packed up a year ago, so assuming it just needs a lube and service it's a good time to send it away. I also have a Prof 2XAR crystal to be fitted. So now I just need to choose and buy a DD36 to be sacrificed, and persuade someone to do the work.  I'll try Nick R at watchrepairsuk.

• Like 1