Sign in to follow this  
 DW-Watches

Possible replacement for valjoux 7734?

DW-Watches

Someone was asking me if a Poljot 3133 would fit in the Tudor case. I'm not sure yet, but I'm going to have to try now. It looks promising.

The Poljot 3133 is based on the Valjoux 7032, but is a little bit thicker, by .67mm. Diameter is the same.

The only thing I see as an issue is that there is no 45 minute counter, and probably no way to convert it to 45 minute. Some of the 7734 parts are interchangeable, but most aren't. The Poljot runs at 21.6 vs 18.0 for the V7734.

The Poljot movement is way cheaper than the 7734, and much more readily available, and they are brand new.

I can't find the hand sizes for the life of me, but I've contacted the sellers on egay to see if they know. If they are different, that could be a problem.

Here's the specs

Poljot

Now the question is, would you guys care that the chrono didn't function properly if this fits?

What do the watchmaking experts have to say about this?

DW-Watches

Oh, and if you want to see an awesome thread about a complete breakdown with pictures comparing these to movements, check here

JohnG

Like Flot says, the issue is the stem lineup given that the Poljot is a tad thicker, but putting the case on a lathe and shaving a off the inside lip where the dial seats would do it...

As to the 30min register with 45min dial, that wouldn't bother me.

If the movement could be made to fit, I would be even more likely to buy the case set - I like the idea of a 7734 but cost is a real issue and the 3133 is a great movement, the watch in my avatar has one....

DW-Watches

Well then, I will ask David to send a few cases over to the machine shop and see if we can make this Poljot fit.

If it works, would there be enough interest to make it worthwhile to offer a complete Tudor 7032 with Poljot movement? Perhaps they can be made to order. It would definitely be cheaper than a 7734 project. Probably be able to offer it at or around $358.

flottiglia

Interesting thread,i'd say its definitely do-able with some case machining.

As John says they are damn good movements,nice Gagarin btw John !

JohnG
Well then, I will ask David to send a few cases over to the machine shop and see if we can make this Poljot fit.

If it works, would there be enough interest to make it worthwhile to offer a complete Tudor 7032 with Poljot movement? Perhaps they can be made to order. It would definitely be cheaper than a 7734 project. Probably be able to offer it at or around $358.

I would definitely be interested, have to sell some watches when I get home in a week or so.... but I was planning on it anyway to fund this project.

I would want to buy it without a bracelet, if you would sell it that way, as I want to put it on a Nato strap like the Heritage in this pic:

PC-Bernhard-Tudor-Heritage-Chronograph.jpg

nice Gagarin btw John !

:)

4.jpg

2.jpg

JohnG

Also, DW, I have a question, is the engraving on the caseback of your 7032 deep (as opposed to shallow laser engraving)? I would buy it anyway, but I am just curious.... it is hard to tell in the pics on the site.

Thanks!

DW-Watches
Also, DW, I have a question, is the engraving on the caseback of your 7032 deep (as opposed to shallow laser engraving)? I would buy it anyway, but I am just curious.... it is hard to tell in the pics on the site.

Thanks!

I'll have to ask David and get back to you, BTW, just call me Steve :lol:

It will probably take a while to get some of these built, have to order the cases, have them machined and buy the movements and build. Maybe a month?

powderfreak

If you offered that Tudor with Poljot, I would definitely be interested in it, no matter if it works as it should!

turnipz

I was actually looking into assembling one of these with the proper movement but the 7031 is a lot nicer looking, is the bezel swappable on it?

JohnG
I was actually looking into assembling one of these with the proper movement but the 7031 is a lot nicer looking, is the bezel swappable on it?

I had the same question and emailed them and was told they can do the 7031 (black bezel) and for the same price...

Member X

But could they offer a 'transformer' project with both options included as bezel sets (insert + bezel) so they could be swapped over depending on mood?? :) :)

For $360 I would be very tempted to spend more money I don't have... Caseset at $190 seems a bargain but sourcing a 45 minute 7734 in good condition (or even a 30 minute one) seems near-impossible for a reasonable price on ebay :(

Only thing I would perhaps say is that I've read several times that QC can be hit and miss on such things as the Daytonas (hence Spinmaster makes a good turnover of Spinmaster-serviced-and-QC'd Daytonas) - for these complex chrono models (be they 7750, 7760, 7734 or 3133) it would be nice to have the confidence that they won't present any problems OOB! :)

turnipz

Well if you make one put me down for a black bezel 7031. :D

JohnG
Well if you make one put me down for a black bezel 7031. :D

Me too.

wolfwood

i'm in for one which looks like the one on JohnG's post. been waiting for this more economical version for a loooong time. thanks for looking into it brother. 8-)

Edited by wolfwood

JohnG
i'm in for one which looks like the one on JohnG's post. been waiting for this more economical version for a loooong time. thanks for looking into it brother. 8-)

The wrist shot pic is of the "Heritage" which is a modern version that came out last year. It is 41mm (the original, and the one DW is offering, is 39mm) and it has knurled screw downs for the pushers and the bezel, the original does not - here is pic of original, in 7031/black bezel version, which DW offers a copy of:

28092010_124744_large_1.jpg

wat44

Who has the 41mm heritage?

JohnG

Tudor. :)

That I am aware of, there aren't any copies yet.

I wondered if you could use the new Daytona rep case to make one, but the Tudor case is thicker, so it wouldn't be very accurate.

wat44

Josh has 42mm heritage but colour looked wrong?

JohnG
Josh has 42mm heritage but colour looked wrong?

Ah....

Does it have the knurled screw downs, crown, and bezel? And I bet good money it is a Daytona case, they wouldn't do a new case for a Tudor Heritage.

powderfreak
28092010_124744_large_1.jpg

:P

Damn, that one might be better than a vintage 'tona...

JohnG

Watt, the Josh is a quartz. But the thickness is correct for the Heritage and it has the knurled pushers/crown/bezel...

If you wanted the larger Heritage, you could get this and either leave it quartz, or it might be a good platform to build a custom rep on, but it would take some work.

I want a DW with 3133, I want as a vintage...

DW-Watches

Tudor. :P

I wondered if you could use the new Daytona rep case to make one, but the Tudor case is thicker, so it wouldn't be very accurate.

The thing with the heritage is that it uses a modified 2892 movement with chronograph function added, if I'm not mistaken. As far as I know, there is no suitable replacement movement readily available with correct subdial spacing and functionality. Any rep of that watch will just be plain wrong :)

JohnG

Tudor. :lol:

The thing with the heritage is that it uses a modified 2892 movement with chronograph function added, if I'm not mistaken. As far as I know, there is no suitable replacement movement readily available with correct subdial spacing and functionality. Any rep of that watch will just be plain wrong :P

That's alright, you make a few of the vintage 7031 with 3133 and I will buy at least one of them. :facepalm: