kakashi66

'ello

kakashi66

I've always been into watches since I was a young lad. I got my first Timex when I was 5.

When I got about 10, my Dad got a bit of a bonus so he took us all out to get new watches. We went to this huge jewellery shop. Mum and Dad picked out Bulova's. I on the other hand had my eye on a Seiko chronograph with a pepsi bezel and a yellow face. I had no end of trouble with that thing, It went to Seiko service twice and it still didn't work properly. It turns out I had an eye for soon to be collectors watches...unfortunately at the time. I didn't know that. I'm sure most of you here know what watch that was and why it became collectible.

I had a bit of dosh on me and I fancied a new watch. I spotted what is known as a Ridley. It was the Guigarrio chrono with the side dials. I tried to score one when back in the US as they had a black model with yellow pushers. The one I got is the Ridley version. I ended up selling that and the "Pogue" for next to nowt at a car boot sale.

A few years later I picked up the "armie" before Arnie wore it. I showed up in the theatre to see Commando and looked at my watch and wondered why they buggered about with it. My gf at the time really liked watches and after our first date I was driving home and went to look at the time, only to realise she was still wearing it as she asked if she could. I bought her a TAG F1 watch and she happily wore it. They're probably like gold dust now. After we split up, for some reason we swapped watches.

Fast forward 30 odd years and I sit her thinking of all these watches I had that are collectible now. I did buy the new Arnie although I'm a bit miffed it's not made in Japan. It is solar powered though so no more of the arse about getting a battery replacement. Most days I just stick with my garmin instinct tactical.

I've always wanted a Porsche Design Chronograph in black for ages. I've seen a few old models still about but at 2.5k I just cant do it when my garmin does so much more. That's why I really dont wear the arnie 2.0 very much. It just tells me the time. I cant see the date without my glasses on so I don't wear it much.

Anyway, that's my story and why I ended up here.

Happy holidays to you all.

Edited by kakashi66
  • Like 1

Devil
45 minutes ago, kakashi66 said:

Great first post!! Most people just ask "what's the best sub" :pointlaugh:

Make sure to do a bit of reading around the New Members section and you'll have most of your questions answered, as for reps they've really improved over the years and can get NWBIG (not worth buying in gen) ones that will make buying the real thing almost pointless...

Welcome anyway, and happy holidays!

mi_racimo

Wellcome!!!