Nikola Tesla

Tissot 160th Anniversary Watch

Nikola Tesla

My watch box has been missing a world-time example ever since my old Seiko went tits up, so I’ve been on the lookout for another, but one a bit nicer. Happily, I’ve found a beauty that checks all the right boxes in the Tissot 160th Anniversary watch. This low-volume, individually numbered model was produced in 2013, but there are a few pieces of NOS still available.

The 160th Anniversary case is an intriguing cross between a dress and sport watch. At just 10mm thick and 43mm in diameter, the case size fits nicely into the dress category, but its engraved bezel adds a sporty flair.

This model uses the GMT function of its ETA 2893-3 movement to drive a white central disc on its face at half the rotational speed of the hour hand. Although this is a 21 jewel-movement, the 2893-3 beats at 28,800 BPH, and all examples of the Tissot 160th Anniversary are COSC certified.

The 160th Anniversary is delivered in an elegant black-and-white lacquered wooden presentation case and accompanied by a softbound history of the Tissot Watch Company.

01%20Box.jpg

Inside the hinged case are the watch and its individual documentation.

02%20Box%20Contents.jpg

The names of twenty-four cities around the world – one in each time zone – are printed in dark blue on the center disc, and the time in each city is indicated on the silver 24-hour dial surrounding this disc. Luminescent dots are located at the four compass points on the dial (twin dots at the N position), and the hands are inset with luminescent stripes. The 12-hour markings engraved into the bezel surrounding the crystal are used for reading the time indicated by the blue steel hands.

03%20Face.jpg

The alligator-embossed leather strap uses a well-executed Omega-style deployment clasp bearing a beautiful engraving of the Tissot logo.

04%20Clasp.jpg

The display back is exquisitely engraved in script and includes the watch’s individual sequence number. Interestingly, the only indication that the movement meets COSC certification is the word “CHRONOMETRE” engraved along the rim of its rotor.

05%20Back.jpg

Although the Tissot faux alligator padded strap is quite nice, I thought the watch deserved more of a “statement” strap, so I began searching for someone to produce one. This is when I discovered Genteel Handmade. If you’re not familiar with George’s wrist masterpieces, you owe yourself a visit to his website. Each of his creations is completely custom to your specification, including the lining. I started off with two custom straps from George for the Tissot, both with quick-release spring bars. But after experiencing the quality of these straps firsthand, I’m by no means finished ordering Genteel straps.

My straps were delivered in upscale packaging, each in its own individual box with magnetic closure, and each residing in a very nice burlap sock inside its box. Well done, George!

06%20Strap%20Boxes.jpg

07%20Straps.jpg

The topper was a hand-written thank-you note and leather care guide. Nice touch.

08%20Note.jpg

The Genteel straps certainly add to the exclusivity of my 160th Anniversary, and I think they also add nicely to its visual impact. Here’s a shot of the watch fitted with the blue strap.

09%20Watch%20with%20Blue%20Strap.jpg

• Like 5

Pp04811

Very interesting watch! Those straps look so well made, and the presentation is lovely!

• Like 1

Jaytreb

Great write up of a watch I never knew existed! Looks great and definitely stands out as unique. 

Nikola Tesla

Thank you, gentlemen. :beer2:

I felt the need to share because this is a fascinating watch you will not see on many wrists,  I love the use of the movement's GMT complication to implement the world time function.

• Like 1

tribefan

Like the way they did world time on this, with the 24 hour dial and 12 hour bezel. Nice find.

• Like 1

Nikola Tesla

This design is actually an update of the Tissot Navigator 100th Anniversary watch released in 1953. The case of the 100th Anniversary was just 36mm in diameter, which would have made reading the cities on the center disc much more difficult, and the center disc was manually advanced with a pusher at the 2-o'clock position, instead of automatically advancing.

BravoDelta

Congrats, love it! The whole package looks awesome.

• Like 1