maniqwils

How do you ask people about their watch, and start a conversation?

maniqwils

Hello,

How do you start a conversation with someone about the watch they are wearing? I'm talking about strangers as well as people you work with.

I'm new to watches and have never posted before, hoping you can help.

In person, I have asked a few people with watches about what their watch is. I usually say: "Oh, what kind of watch is t *SPAM LINK* his?". This is to co-workers, and some of my direct reports (I'm a manager). Most people become very awkward and in a somewhat embarrassed way say "Ohhh, it's just this [fossil/whatever] watch I have". It feels like it's turning into some sort of class/social strata thing where they almost sound ashamed about what they have.  *SPAM LINK*

When I asked I had been wearing my Casio Gschock GLX-5600 that's 10+ years old, or a Casio MTD-1020 (which I bought at a thrift shop). I think most watches are awesome and amazing things. I just got a Seiko SKX007 as my first mechanical, so none of my watches are gold.

Am I asking in the wrong way for people who know me but are more junior to me at work? Or are watches too intertwined as status symbols for a healthy conversation with those junior to me.

Is there a good way to ask strangers (people on the train, someone else in a bar, etc.) about their watch without making it look like you're about to steal their watch or it being weird?

Cheers.

GingerApple

This post makes me feel like self harming.

BadPickle
12 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

This post makes me feel like self harming.

Most members here are openly wishing you would. 
Seems like you have some serious memory loss too 

• Like 2

Philiusmaximus
22 minutes ago, maniqwils said:

Hello,

How do you start a conversation with someone about the watch they are wearing? I'm talking about strangers as well as people you work with.

I'm new to watches and have never posted before, hoping you can help.

In person, I have asked a few people with watches about what their watch is. I usually say: "Oh, what kind of watch is this?". This is to co-workers, and some of my direct reports (I'm a manager). Most people become very awkward and in a somewhat embarrassed way say "Ohhh, it's just this [fossil/whatever] watch I have". It feels like it's turning into some sort of class/social strata thing where they almost sound ashamed about what they have.

When I asked I had been wearing my Casio Gschock GLX-5600 that's 10+ years old, or a Casio MTD-1020 (which I bought at a thrift shop). I think most watches are awesome and amazing things. I just got a Seiko SKX007 as my first mechanical, so none of my watches are gold.

Am I asking in the wrong way for people who know me but are more junior to me at work? Or are watches too intertwined as status symbols for a healthy conversation with those junior to me.

Is there a good way to ask strangers (people on the train, someone else in a bar, etc.) about their watch without making it look like you're about to steal their watch or it being weird?

Cheers.

Have you tried with the opener "I like your watch"

People will be more comfortable.

• Like 3

BadApple

Try "I wear Casio or Seiko shit. What about you?"  if you know them.

If they are strangers "Do you like watches? I like little puppies and anal sex" - see how that goes down.  If you get a bad reaction you could always flash them your Casio. 

• Like 4

GingerApple
25 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Seems like you have some serious memory loss too 

Sorry, I can't recall what you're referring to.

als86

You are always better to start the conversation with a compliment even if you think it’s a heap of crap better they reply telling you it’s a heap of crap than you saying it to them …..but then if it’s your mates that’s different just tell them it’s utter garbage and why are you wearing it :pointlaugh:

Cap'n
17 minutes ago, als86 said:

You are always better to start the conversation with a compliment even if you think it’s a heap of crap better they reply telling you it’s a heap of crap than you saying it to them …..but then if it’s your mates that’s different just tell them it’s utter garbage and why are you wearing it :pointlaugh:

THIS! 

Always start with adjectives such as 'nice' 'interesting' etc. 

GenTLe
10 hours ago, maniqwils said:

Hello,

How do you start a conversation with someone about the watch they are wearing?

In general you should know the watch he (rarely they are a "she", women that cares about watches are super rare...) wears and then say something like "Oh, nice Speedmaster" or something like that (of course you need to get the right watch he has) or also "Oh, is that a Graham? First time I see one in real life! I have one too..." and move from there.

The "Nice watch" rarely is a conversation starter. Too generic.

Theviking

Classic, why is it the now and then we get an interesting post from a new member and they never return. 

It's odd. Like they're thinking, no one has noticed/vommented on my new big bang rep so I'm gonna try and start a conversation with a lad on the till ay Waitrose about his knacked Timex.

If your really concerned about the class social/strata thing, tell them you own loads of reps.

I recon this a throwaway account of a well know member...

tribefan
1 hour ago, Theviking said:

Classic, why is it the now and then we get an interesting post from a new member and they never return. 

It's odd. Like they're thinking, no one has noticed/vommented on my new big bang rep so I'm gonna try and start a conversation with a lad on the till ay Waitrose about his knacked Timex.

If your really concerned about the class social/strata thing, tell them you own loads of reps.

I recon this a throwaway account of a well know member...

All is not what it seems to be, someone is having fun with VPN.

GingerApple

Lol, PickledLegend.

Jibuti

Same answer as in: How do you ask women about their boobs and start a conversation?

tribefan
16 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

Same answer as in: How do you ask women about their boobs and start a conversation?

That one is easy. With the wad of cash you saved buying reps instead of gens.

• Like 5

Abe Fromen

I always know what they're wearing and say 'nice submariner (or whatever)'  and then ask how they like it or how long they've had it. I've had some great watch conversations and some absolute douchebag return comments that made me laugh as I walked away. 

Best one was a guy in a Canadian Tire wearing an ooooold date just. I said, 'hey nice DJ' and he said thanks and told me the story of how his dad bought it as a first 'big' purchase overseas and how he willed it to him as he had passed a few years previous. Lovely guy and proud to show me his dad's watch. 

GenTLe
9 hours ago, Abe Fromen said:

and some absolute douchebag return comments that made me laugh as I walked away. 

Tell us some of these, I'm curious :)

The one that made me laugh most (but this guy was a real watch guy and real weirdo) was  once when I was waiting for a flight in Naples airport.

This guy was a real dandy, a guy around 40 with beard and dressed up this way (even with a walk stick), and probably loaded with money:

abito-uomo-1218_14-IMMANUEL-KANT-Cleofe-

and he had on himself a very nice Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec Chronograph Anniversary like this (gen):

58.jpg

While I was having on me the Limited Omega LMPO (super rep):

OMEGAO4-1.jpg

So, while I was standing and this guy was sat a couple of meters from me, I noticed he was pointing at my wrist and bending on the chair to look it better... So I gave him a look and he said something like "Sorry, may I look at your watch? It's very very nice!" and I was like "Of course, it's just a Planet Ocean liquid metal, but your Montblanc is really a wonderful piece!" and he then called his friends nearby telling them "Look look, this Omega looks great, you see the AR and the way the hand moves and the shine on the insert? This is the real deal!!" And I was surronded by these guys looking at my Omega (which is actually a rep!). It was awkward but also very funny situation :D

We then had a good 15 mins horological conversation while waiting for the gate to open for boarding.

• Like 1

GingerApple
41 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

he had on himself a very nice Montblanc Nicolas Rieussec Chronograph Anniversary

Did you know what it was on the wrist!!?!

If so, take 50 house points for Gryffindor mate, great knowledge!

GenTLe
17 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Did you know what it was on the wrist!!?!

If so, take 50 house points for Gryffindor mate, great knowledge!

I knew it was a Montblanc, I didn't remember the name, I knew it was an expensive one, I'd say around 8k if I'm not wrong :) I've seen it before live during window-shopping, and instantly loved it back then :)

deju

I don’t talk to strange men, if @TheGingerFerret walked up to me and I didn’t know him I’d call the police. 

GingerApple
13 minutes ago, deju said:

I don’t talk to strange men, if @TheGingerFerret walked up to me and I didn’t know him I’d call the police. 

Says the guy who's on a Hen Party in Berlin.

Abe Fromen
4 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Tell us some of these, I'm curious :)

One was at a restaurant years ago when i was wearing my gen Explorer II. My wife went to the lady's room and the guy at the next table leaned over and said Rolexes always impress the ladies... too bad yours is a bad fake. I looked over and he was wearing quartz TAG Kirium and I said, 'oh really? you can tell it's a fake? Please enlighten me' and he said your submariner has the wrong bezel. It should be black. To which I responded politely... 'ah thanks man...  you're right and clearly you're a watch expert to catch that detail.' 

Another time I complimented a guy in a bicycle shop on his nice stainless steel Daytona. I asked if it was the old El Primero movement or the (then) newly released in-house movement and he said, 'I have no idea, i spend a shitload of cash on my wife at this jewelry store and when i wanted a watch i just said give me your most expensive one.' 

Oy! 

Edited by Abe Fromen
  • Like 1

GenTLe
47 minutes ago, Abe Fromen said:

One was at a restaurant years ago when i was wearing my gen Explorer II. My wife went to the lady's room and the guy at the next table leaned over and said Rolexes always impress the ladies... too bad yours is a bad fake. I looked over and he was wearing quartz TAG Kirium and I said, 'oh really? you can tell it's a fake? Please enlighten me' and he said your submariner has the wrong bezel. It should be black. To which I responded politely... 'ah thanks man...  you're right and clearly you're a watch expert to catch that detail.' 

Another time I complimented a guy in a bicycle shop on his nice stainless steel Daytona. I asked if it was the old El Primero movement or the (then) newly released in-house movement and he said, 'I have no idea, i spend a shitload of cash on my wife at this jewelry store and when i wanted a watch i just said give me your most expensive one.' 

Oy! 

The 1st is such a cunt... The second just had more money than neuronal cells...

• Like 1

GingerApple

Lol!!!!

To be fair, he's kind of right. The Submariner does have a black bezel. Some of the time.

Jibuti
8 hours ago, deju said:

too much work, really... next time just smack in the face lad with quasi upper class retarded look and golf bag on his shoulder.

IvoryHoward

Well,  I'm curious if you've tried opening with "I admire your watch"

They'll feel more at ease.