Sign in to follow this  
sonicd0012

14K Wrapped TT Blue Submariner from Andrew

black263

Praise the Lord, there's been a resurrection. Sad though reading these old posts and seeing names that are no longer with us.

JohnPilot

Schit. :fuck: gravediggers

ElvisFreak

Wow...

I am surprised a little to see the "wrapped" gold debate coming back from time to time....

I myself bought in 2006 a TT Datejust from a member on RWI who claimed it was a 14k gold wrapped model. When I received it, I as super impressed but deep down, the perfectionist in me really wanted to know if indeed the gold on the watch really was wrapped and not plated.

So, i spent a huge a,out of time on the net and on all the replica fora of the days and I even went to two local jewellers and one actually had an in house goldsmiths who made custom gold jewellery. They were able to test the gold on the bracelet using two different procedures and both tests revealed that indeed the the midlinks were made of a thin layer of solid 10K gold that wrapped the steel link all around but not at the top. Upon visual examination under a special microscope that they use for examining diamonds, they were not convinced that the inner part under the layer of gold was stainless steel but that it may Rey well be yellow brass so that it may give the midlinks the look of being ALL gold when looked at from the side.

I must add too that in my online research, I had come across a thread on RWI of a member who had sawed off a wrapped link from his TT Sub back in 2006 and his photos and conclusion claimed that indeed the gold was a layer of solid gold laid on top of a steel or brass link. Also, at the time, despite his very conclusive thread, many members still debated and argued back and forth about the era city of the wrapped gold claim. But one tng we all seemed to agree on is that ONLY THE MIDLINKS OF THE BRACELET AND THE CLASP WERE SOLID 10K WRAPPED GOLD AND THE BEZEL AND CROWN WERE PLATED.

Also, at the time, I had taked very nice macro shots of the sides of the midlinks on my TT Datejust but I no longer have those images as they were deleted by Yahoo when they basically quite hosting images back in 2007 or 2008...

I had given many weeks of precious time on that topic and did a lot of leg work to get the answers I wanted and I feel pretty confident that I found those answers....

That is my two cents...

ElvisFreak

How when go to save the changes I made in my editing of typos, an error window pop up?

ElvisFreak

Wow...

I am surprised a little to see the "wrapped" gold debate coming back from time to time....

I myself bought in 2006 a TT Datejust from a member on RWI who claimed it was a 14k gold wrapped model. When I received it, I as super impressed but deep down, the perfectionist in me really wanted to know if indeed the gold on the watch really was wrapped and not plated.

So, i spent a huge a,out of time on the net and on all the replica fora of the days and I even went to two local jewellers and one actually had an in house goldsmiths who made custom gold jewellery. They were able to test the gold on the bracelet using two different procedures and both tests revealed that indeed the the midlinks were made of a thin layer of solid 10K gold that wrapped the steel link all around but not at the sides. Upon visual examination under a special microscope that they use for examining diamonds, they were not convinced that the inner part under the layer of gold was stainless steel but that it may very well be yellow brass so that it may give the midlinks the look of being ALL gold when looked at from the side.

I must add too that in my online research, I had come across a thread on RWI of a member who had sawed off a wrapped link from his TT Sub back in 2006 and his photos and conclusion claimed that indeed the gold was a layer of solid gold laid on top of a steel or brass link. Also, at the time, despite his very conclusive thread, many members still debated and argued back and forth about the era city of the wrapped gold claim. But one tng we all seemed to agree on is that ONLY THE MIDLINKS OF THE BRACELET AND THE CLASP WERE SOLID 10K WRAPPED GOLD AND THE BEZEL AND CROWN WERE PLATED.

Also, at the time, I had taked very nice macro shots of the sides of the midlinks on my TT Datejust but I no longer have those images as they were deleted by Yahoo when they basically quite hosting images back in 2007 or 2008...

I had given many weeks of precious time on that topic and did a lot of leg work to get the answers I wanted and I feel pretty confident that I found those answers....

That is my two cents...

travesty

I realize that this was posted in 2011, and that it's now Nov. 2015, but I'm on a quest for this exact watch, as it appears it's no longer made.

There are several that are close, but either they're smurfs (solid blue, rather than the gorgeous SUNBURST), or they have safety yellow bezel numbers & ticks. Argh!

I'd even forgo a wrapped for a plated version. But I won't put up with yellow bezel #s.

I asked Andrew if he can still get this one. I've checked Toro, TS, PF-818, kingwatch.asia, TT, 7750asian,... basically 80% of TDs. Some tick all the boxes and then one thing, like the yellow bezel, takes the entire watch off my list.

Imagine if TC made 16613/116613s; we can only dream...

Thenew1

That awkward moment when you realize Mary isn't a TD anymore...

5imon

Sonicd0012

I always liked the TT and Love the blue on this one.

mecko

sure it is a wrapped SUB?

I dont think so, not for this price.

I have a GMT Master IIC TT

And i bought a new wrapped bracelet.

It is not a 60 $ bracelet, it costs more

and the quality is stunning. I think it ist just a

normal plating SUB.

Edited by mecko

Rolex16613

Looks great