OLDBLOKE74

Daytona only £700 but bidding up on uk eBay

deju
6 minutes ago, BadApple said:

"Includes postage to and from the authenticator"

Based in Finland. :rofl:

but yeah after it hits 2k it best be gen or it go bye bye 

Philiusmaximus

Probably a genuine listing. The seller doesn't have to go through with sale if he's not happy with final price. Aye people will be pissed off but that's life. First world  problems and all that.

tonyh7

Here in Manchester we had three guys sent to jail after buying a £4k watch via 'social media'. They went to the sellers place of work and persuaded him to get into their car while they inspected the watch and he counted the money. They then kidnapped him and tortured him for 7 hours breaking his jaw twice and dislocating his shoulder. Caught when they tried to collect a £20k ransom. Got 30 years between them. Selling watches can be hazardous!

• Like 1

trailboss99

Looks OK to me, hope you guys have plenty of dosh or don't value ya eBay accounts. 

• Like 1

deju
12 minutes ago, trailboss99 said:

Looks OK to me, hope you guys have plenty of dosh or don't value ya eBay accounts. 

I messaged  Anthony and told him to cancel his bid... hope it wasnt too late

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, deju said:

I messaged  Anthony and told him to cancel his bid... hope it wasnt too late

I hope he's bought himself a new watch for Xmas :rofl:

• Like 1

Popperini
26 minutes ago, trailboss99 said:

This has certainly been a lesson to me… I really couldn’t believe that someone would advertise such a valuable piece in such a slipshod fashion. But there you go.

I was also unaware that a seller doesn’t have to honour the sale if they aren’t happy with the final price. I suppose you can’t force someone to hand it over - I’d just not thought about it before. 

deju
3 minutes ago, Popperini said:

This has certainly been a lesson to me… I really couldn’t believe that someone would advertise such a valuable piece in such a slipshod fashion. But there you go.

I was also unaware that a seller doesn’t have to honour the sale if they aren’t happy with the final price. I suppose you can’t force someone to hand it over - I’d just not thought about it before. 

It's a more old school approach to auctions. The key to a successful auction is to get bidding momentum, you want a bidding war. all auctions are usually the same 

Starts low - attracts bargain hunters, they bid it up creates a bit of momentum
Gets close to market value - These bargain bidders drop off, bidders who are left actually want the product.
First time the gavel gets close to "going once, going twice" is where the real bidders start bidding. At this point we know that the general bidders are maxed out and either we are the only serious bidder and will get it, or now the real bidding war starts, the ping pong of bidding.

It's always this way.

If you are ever at a real auction and want something. never bid until that gavels on going twice! :lol:

• Like 2

AnthonyRWG
13 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

:rofl:

Please tell me Anthony just bought a Gen Daytona :rofl:

Noooooo i just bidded it up i aint the highest bidder

• Like 1

Popperini

It's a more old school approach to auctions.

Me and Mrs Pops watch every auction programme on the telly. Bargain Hunt, Flog It, Antiques Road Trip, The Bidding Room, Homes Under the Hammer, etc. etc... and I've learned all I know about auctions from them - although sadly too late to become an ace auction bargain hunter.  The only auction I ever went to, I made the opening and winning bid of £20 for a huge box of assorted Japanese car name badges - to sounds from the room of what was either admiration or muffled hilarity, I've never been quite sure which. Suffice to say the box of badges sat on a shelf in the garage for 10 years till I finally chucked it out. 

• Like 4

Howitzer

If you are ever at a real auction and want something. never bid until that gavels on going twice! :lol:

This is how I always approach eBay auctions too. People who bid early never bid what they would ultimately pay, so if you come in that last gasp you can bypass their actual top-end, plus it helps to prevent cheeky/unscrupulous sellers from pushing the price up from shill accounts. Bidding early always just pushes the price up too quickly, and if you go in at what you'd be willing to pay early then you'll likely pay that or miss out, rather than snagging the bargain we all hope for.... 

Christ, I've even started boring myself, sorry. Slow half-day at work... As bloody always, pointless slave-driving. 

Anyway, back on topic - looks like you're in line for a wonderful Christmas present @AnthonyRWG! :christmas4:

Not that eBay force anyone to actually buy items, or indeed sell. I'm sure it used to be much more difficult to withdraw if you won an item.... :Thinking:

Howitzer
6 minutes ago, AnthonyRWG said:

Noooooo i just bidded it up i aint the highest bidder

BOOOOOOOOOOO! ;) 

deju
4 minutes ago, Howitzer said:

This is how I always approach eBay auctions too. People who bid early never bid what they would ultimately pay, so if you come in that last gasp you can bypass their actual top-end, plus it helps to prevent cheeky/unscrupulous sellers from pushing the price up from shill accounts. Bidding early always just pushes the price up too quickly, and if you go in at what you'd be willing to pay early then you'll likely pay that or miss out, rather than snagging the bargain we all hope for.... 

Christ, I've even started boring myself, sorry. Slow half-day at work... As bloody always, pointless slave-driving. 

Anyway, back on topic - looks like you're in line for a wonderful Christmas present @AnthonyRWG! :christmas4:

Not that eBay force anyone to actually buy items, or indeed sell. I'm sure it used to be much more difficult to withdraw if you won an item.... :Thinking:

Yeah, I’ll only bid early if I want to remember to bid later :lol: now I always bid in the last 30 seconds. 

some commercial online auctions have adapted to a hybrid model that bridges it so you can’t snipe, so any bids in the last 5minutes adds 10minutes to the end time… it’s evil! 

tribefan
1 minute ago, deju said:

Yeah, I’ll only bid early if I want to remember to bid later :lol: now I always bid in the last 30 seconds. 

some commercial online auctions have adapted to a hybrid model that bridges it so you can’t snipe, so any bids in the last 5minutes adds 10minutes to the end time… it’s evil! 

There is a local auction site that does retirement liquidations that implemented this, It's a real pain.

k4jun
49 minutes ago, Popperini said:

I really couldn’t believe that someone would advertise such a valuable piece in such a slipshod fashion. But there you go.

I was also unaware that a seller doesn’t have to honour the sale if they aren’t happy with the final price.

It happens, and it also is a technique how sellers are testing the market.

jQlOis.jpg

For example - I have been bidding on this SM300. Twice :)

First time, the auction has started from 1 and eventually was at $6k, but 1 hour before the ending - seller had cancelled the auction. Second time price went up to $9k but again was cancelled. Now that watch is available as "buy it now" for $11k.

Howitzer
23 minutes ago, deju said:

some commercial online auctions have adapted to a hybrid model that bridges it so you can’t snipe, so any bids in the last 5minutes adds 10minutes to the end time… it’s evil

Now that’s a proper c**t’s trick 

OLDBLOKE74

Wow 

I cannot imaging putting my £20k watch up for sale with no reserve and no descriptions….. his other items have been low value Purchases - no previous sales 

it still seems dodgy to me but I guess we will never know if the Authenticator blows up the sale? 

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

£17,600 - either someone has got a bargain (relative to current selling prices), or a complete stitch-up!!

deju
1 hour ago, FudgyDocker said:

£17,600 - either someone has got a bargain (relative to current selling prices), or a complete stitch-up!!

Has to go through Authenticator first so no loss at all 

FudgyDocker
11 minutes ago, deju said:

Has to go through Authenticator first so no loss at all 

But how good are the Authenticators? Does anyone know what calibre of people they are? I doubt if they're ADs, so really good reps COULD slip through.

deju
3 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

But how good are the Authenticators? Does anyone know what calibre of people they are? I doubt if they're ADs, so really good reps COULD slip through.

Stoll & co, pretty established company worldwide. 

let’s face it even a 4130 clone while operating like gen, is not finished like a gen so guys dealing with movements every day will spot flags like that. 

• Like 1

GingerApple

I wonder if they'd spot a Genstein.

deju
18 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I wonder if they'd spot a Genstein.

So a Genstein being all gen, supposedly they won’t Authenticate parts / custom watches but if a Genstein was 100% period correct, I don’t know how you would know it wasn’t gen from factory  

OLDBLOKE74

I own a gen Tona 

Of the people I know who own high value watches most are acutely aware of their investment value and would never consider risking this type of loss - u could walk into any shop in London or elsewhere and get a better price … 

could be stolen ? 
Could just be a filthy rich blasé owner - but looking at his eBay activity I doubt it. My view is still that it is a scam ……

Hey I have been wrong before ….

• Like 3