Sign in to follow this  
pback

keeping autos alive

pback

So, I've never owned a watch with an automatic movement (or anything other than quartz) before. How do you guys keep them going? Obviously you can get one of those winder things for every watch, but what about otherwise? Do you pick it up and shake it every couple of days or just let it die and reset the time when it's time to wear it? I'm just wondering how all you guys with experience do it.

Brightlight

Some people use a watch winder, but that seems like wearing out a watch. I'm happy to adjust a watch and give it a shake when I put it on, though I have to admit I will wear the same watch for months so maybe it's not such a hassle for me!

pollux1
So, I've never owned a watch with an automatic movement (or anything other than quartz) before. How do you guys keep them going? Obviously you can get one of those winder things for every watch, but what about otherwise? Do you pick it up and shake it every couple of days or just let it die and reset the time when it's time to wear it? I'm just wondering how all you guys with experience do it.
The former is best, but the latter also works . :kenny:

greg_r

I can't be bothered with winders. I just set the time when I pick the watch up, give it a quick 'swirl' to get it started and then wear it.

Caliper

Quick shake and adjust when it's time to wear. An excuse to admire and play around with the watch before putting it on.

JohnG
I can't be bothered with winders. I just set the time when I pick the watch up, give it a quick 'swirl' to get it started and then wear it.

What he said.

WatchMe007
Quick shake and adjust when it's time to wear. An excuse to admire and play around with the watch before putting it on.

Very true. I like the ritual of carefully resetting date the proper way, etc. If I wear the same watch often enough for the reserve to keep it alive I consider it a novelty.

Hand wind watches are cool for the same reason you state above. They force you to become engaged. That is not a problem for people who like watches and are aware of what they are wearing.

Carl77

I don't have enough watches to worry about that kind of question :lol:

Big Tex

I have 3 watch winders for my automatics....2 one slot winders and a 2 slot winder. I keep 4 of my autos in the 3 winders, ones I wear frequently. Others are in their case, and I make sure I take them out at least once a month and make sure they are given a full winding. Same goes for any of my pure mechanical watches. Once a month is all you need to wind them to make sure they stay well lubricated and working properly.

omni

I've been through 4 watch winders in my day, all pretty cheap, they all eventually failed to where I gave up and came to the conclusion, you just don't need them. What everyone else says above, there is more satisfaction and thought that goes into winding, swirling, setting the date that makes you engaged with the piece you are about to choose for the day than just the picking it out of the box. The appreciation of your choice is more engaged at that point and you tend to have less "is it this one or is it that one I'll wear today?" as you have made a contemplation to pick it up, enjoy the beauty for what it is, and then make a clear commitment to go through the effort of supplying it with reserve power for the day. Tends to make you wear watches that normally don't get second looks like your socks in a drawer.

Luthier

Damn, I have 50+ watches, can I wear a new watch every day, if I have about 10-12 favorites?

No. So, I do what the Greg said.

Pob

+1