Focknawesome

Crown Lock on Omega Planet Ocean 42mm

Focknawesome

As the title suggests, I’ve got an Omega Planet Ocean 42mm and the crown lock has snapped or stripped and won’t secure the crown in the seated or locked position. The watch otherwise functions well - anybody know of a friendly repair facility near North Texas I could step into or ship the watch to for work?

Intresting

You will most likely need a new crown and tube.  Otherwise, the repair will probably just make it such that the crown sits flush with the case, but you will not be able to screw it down for water tightness.  There is only one TD that advertises that they sell spare parts.

Focknawesome

I don’t have the knowledge or tools to make that kinda of repair myself. Are there any rep-friendly repair places in the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FunnyStarSystem

Unfortunately this is one of those things that often totals a rep. You learn to be super careful screwing and unscrewing because it's virtually impossible to find a part number, or accurately measure a tube/stem thread on a rep, but very easy to strip.

Best repair guy I know on here is Gary (Katt): https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/224-katts-watch-repair/

not sure he'd touch this, but you can email and ask. There's also a guy I haven't tried, but he's trusted and in the US: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/377-oascom-watch-service-center/

You can remove the spring/gasket from the crown allowing it to be pushed all the way down, but it'll never really sit right, and defeats the water protection purpose of the mechanism. 

Focknawesome

Jeeze thank you for the detailed information and the potential repair sources!

Frankly it’s still running perfectly I just know the crown is those couple of millimeters “up” and I’d hate to kill it allowing it to be even lightly splashed.

Thanks again

topnote73

The same problem with my Nexton, got good info from Simonix. 

"The problem with the omega is, it will no doubt need another new stem tube, crown, or both. first off, these parts will be hard to find (Rolex ones are much easier to find), secondly, you need to drill out the old stem tube, re-tap/re-solder the new tube into place."

Mine is running great but the crown is just sticking out. I think I need to be more delicate with screw-down going forward.

NCRich

This is a terrible problem.  We really should come up with a better solution.  Hell I know what I'm doing and it was one of the hardest problems I've ever had to resolve.   Its easier to just order another watch.

• Like 3

letti001

I have exactly the same problem. Omega PO replica that is wonderful but the crown has stripped and will not screw down. I took it to a local watch repair shop and had it assessed. They told me that it is not practical to repair. He told me not to get it wet.

The watch works great; the crown just sticks out a little.

I am just living with it.

Sal

APjumbo

I have heard about this happening on a few vsf omega so keep my favorites on a winder. I figure it’s easier to service a well used movement than deal with an stripped crown tube.

I think strodda is in your state. I used him once, he was excellent.

Repair guy from the other forum.

letti001

I well check out the repair person you suggest. I really like the watch and hate to ruin it by trying to fix it. On the other hand, it is at risk 

Thank you again.

letti001

I found the Strodda  web site and will fill out an order form

Edited by letti001

fatarms

To avoid this with all of my crowns (rep and gen), I actually spin the crown backwards while pushing in lightly.  You can feel when the crown "clicks" and slightly pushes inward after reaching the beginning of the threading.  If that makes sense...

• Like 1

Diluted

I fixed mine and I don't know what I'm doing: 

letti001

I tried repairing my previous Omega PO. I did not.

The stem kept falling out. So, I bought a new one. Better than the last.

Now the crown is the problem. I am a bit gun shy. 

Focknawesome
This is a terrible problem.  We really should come up with a better solution.  Hell I know what I'm doing and it was one of the hardest problems I've ever had to resolve.   Its easier to just order another watch.

letti001

I will give an update as to what I find out about the repair.

I just went through some web sites last night looking for another watch and unfortunately, I always fall back to the one I have.

letti001

I have a response.  My dilemma is 1) do nothing and just avoid water 2) have it repaired for what will likely be $150 ) 3) buy a new one

In looking at buying a new watch, I shopped around and just really like the PO. 

Here is the response:

As far as cost, if you would like it pressure tested after, just to know, it would be $40 to disassemble, trim the stem and test. Being that I test in water while applying pressure after submersion, I always remove the dial/movement for that process. If you wanted to go the crown/tube replacement route, it would be pricier,and that would be determined by what set Im able to find. With the PO's, theyre pressure fit, not screw-in like a Rolex would be. And from experience, the gen tube doesnt usually fit right in. Most time Ive needed to drill out the existing tube and widen the hole a little more to get the gen-spec tube in, then seal with a 2pt epoxy. If you wanted to consider that process, it would be $60 to drill out the case, install the tube and pressure test. Then the parts cost would be determined by whats available.

APjumbo

@letti001

What model/ version of planet ocean do you have. How about a pic of it?

I appreciate the repair info update, no problems with mine yet but I’m sure I will sooner or later.

letti001

jvpwpi.jpg jvp4Fb.jpg jvpkaX.jpg jvpsAp.jpg

It is a 42 mm, PO which I bought several years ago. I think it is from watchinternational. When Mary was there.

Forgive me, but I cannot recall the model, but it is similar to the 1948 Ltd Ed on the back of the case with the seahorse. Not clear.

APjumbo

Liquid metal Plamet ocean LMPO

As far as I know only noob made these

super rep, super awesome.

They started making them again recently but at a higher price.

I wouldn’t hesitate to spend the $150 and get it fixed up.

a used replacement is probably $220 if one ever pops up which is rare. New ones maybe $350 I can’t remember.

https://puretimewatch.io/seamaster-planet-ocean-liquid-metal-limited-edition-1948-lmpo-1-1-noob-best-edition-v12.html

• Like 1

Focknawesome

I really do love this watch. I’ve got the leather look rubber strap as well so it’s a really versatile and comfortable piece, I just have to settle for leaving the crown up and no water….which I kinda do anyway just because I don’t put a ton of faith in their pressure testing claims. Cept maybe with BK

a10d4ef93dc220fe38c5d4f6d36e3dad.jpg

fatarms

Just keep in mind that not just submerging the watch can fog the crystal.  Humidity outside or steam from a sink can also get into the watch and produce the same result.  So when you say no water, that's definitely what you should aim for.  Good luck.

• Like 1

Focknawesome
Just keep in mind that not just submerging the watch can fog the crystal.  Humidity outside or steam from a sink can also get into the watch and produce the same result.  So when you say no water, that's definitely what you should aim for.  Good luck.

Good call, high and dry only

mclarendude

I bought a BP PO here with the same issue.

I shortened the stem so it’s flush to the case. No issues since. Just not getting it wet or anything. 20 minute fix.

6c6ce6cca80c420e5bb1fc5610830c96.jpg
9eb5c51603e6e2e1ed7684ac09ad37fb.jpg
39dff269ab9f641742e288945a8c6bab.jpg
9ed58a632b283ec917933644360f1ea9.jpg

• Like 2

letti001
10 hours ago, Focknawesome said:

Good call, high and dry only

I live in Arizona which is not an issue for humidity, but I have taken a  watch with me before to Honduras and lost teh digital function. It was an old Tissot Two Timer (digital and analog). The LCD turned black when we landed.

SO, I do not wear the watch when going to humid area or an area that rains which is a shame since I use the watch mostly for travel.

• Like 1