Focknawesome

Crown Lock on Omega Planet Ocean 42mm

Focknawesome
I bought a BP PO here with the same issue.

I shortened the stem so it’s flush to the case. No issues since. Just not getting it wet or anything. 20 minute fix.

6c6ce6cca80c420e5bb1fc5610830c96.jpg
9eb5c51603e6e2e1ed7684ac09ad37fb.jpg
39dff269ab9f641742e288945a8c6bab.jpg
9ed58a632b283ec917933644360f1ea9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. Looks great on that strap btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letti001

I have the tools to shorten the stem, but I tried it with a previous PO. Messed it up. Hence I bought a new one. Now the new one has a crown issue as well.

The old one has the stem that will slide out.

I may just have it repaired and move on. When traveling, I might be in some humid areas and rain. In Arizona, humidity is not an issue (except for my guitar)

I just returned from Paris and would have normally worn the Omega, but with the rain forecast, i left the watch at home.  :(

letti001

Update. I have not done anything as of yet, but I was able to find a genuine Omega crown and tube.

My thought is to replace the crown and tube with the genuine. 

As an exercise, mind you. Although I suspect I will fail.

Please be kind as I am no doubt an amateur, but willing to tinker.

I think the process should be as follow.

Remove the old stem.

Remove the crown.

Remove the movement.

Tap out the old tube.

Replace the tube.

Remove the crown from the stem.

Replace the movement.

Replace the stem

APjumbo

Sounds correct.

Please let us know your progress. I expect to be in the same situation one day.

GenTLe

I recently fixed a similar problem on an IWC chrono St. Exupery.

Let's say that if don't need to dive with it (and I'll certainly not dive with a chrono with leather strap like the mentioned IWC), the repair is fairly simple.

The steps are:

1. remove the stem and the movement from the case
  2. remove the stem from the crown
  3. clean the crown in isopropyl alcohol
  4. apply a tiny amount of cyanacrilate glue (aka superglue) to the clutch of the crown to lock it
  5. remove the residual thread from the tube (with a file or so) and clean thoroughly the case
  6. reinsert the movement, reinstall the stem on the crown and both in the case and movement
  7. carefully do the process to cut down the stem thread to shorten it, so that when it's fully in the movement, the crown sits flush to the case (but not too much so that the movement doesn't go back to winding position when the crown is fully in)

The most tedious part is the 7, as you need to proceed in small steps in order not to cut the stem too much.

Generally speaking, especially for those crowns that have a gasket on the part that enters the tube, you still maintain a good 5ATM water resistant. Not enough to go swimming, but surely enough to have the watch wet with no issues at all.

letti001

Thank you all for helping/encouraging me. I will take a number of photos as I go. Video might be too stressful and documentation of profanity.

I fully expect my plan to fail so I will not be disappointed. Only happier if successful

:)

letti001

Update on this. I was able to remove the stem and movement without any trouble. In using a tube press to get out the existing tube, the thread part broke and now I have the tube stuck inside the case. I am planning to drill out the remnants. Unless there is another suggestion. One of my responses from a repair guru was that the tubes usually need to be drilled out to remove them.  My genuine tube and crown look good. I also order a new stem as I suspect I will not be able to use the old one as the crown is likely stuck to that as well and the length may need adjusting as well.

• Like 1

APjumbo

Easier that you bought a new stem so you can leave the old one intact and also use it for measuring.

It will give you an approximate length to cut the new one. Usually I cut the stem once and file down knowing it is 1mm too long, test fit, remove and re cut, file the end a little, crown back on, test fit #2, good.

letti001
1 hour ago, APjumbo said:

Easier that you bought a new stem so you can leave the old one intact and also use it for measuring.

It will give you an approximate length to cut the new one. Usually I cut the stem once and file down knowing it is 1mm too long, test fit, remove and re cut, file the end a little, crown back on, test fit #2, good.

Thank you! The support is most welcome. By the way, I have a video of my process so far. Just in case it works, I can post it.  

Edited by letti001

letti001

Update. 

I could not remove the old tube. So, I drilled it out. Not as hard as I thought it would be. the resulting hole was just a fraction bigger than the Omega tube, but I was able to use Locktite and have it seated and sealed.

I then replaced the movement. Not an issue. I shortened the new stem and screwed on the new crown and replaced the stem. The date/winding/time adjustment worked fine but the stem was just a touch too long to screw into the new tube.

I removed the stem. Shortened it another fraction, replaced the crown and replaced the stem.

Please be kind, but I messed up the removal of the stem and now the keyless works are messed up and the stem will not stay in place. I think I depressed the removal button too much and now it is stuck.

Can anybody point me in the right direction on how to repair the keyless works?  I have done quite a bit of searching but I am not finding a simple solution.

Sorry to all, in advance.

Thank you.

My bail out was to just buy a new watch. But it seems that I could salvage this somehow.

• Like 1

BadPickle

There was a really good tutorial on here from back in the early days, sconehead or someone like that did it, but sadly photobucket stole all the pics making it worthless

youtube is your friend now :) 

letti001

thank you for helping. YouTube it is :)

APjumbo

I saved these two videos in my playlist. They may help.

What you are going through is pretty typical. Try to fix one last thing to make it perfect, and mess up the keyless. 
Every freaking time.

After a few keyless resets you get pretty good at them.

I always fix them from the dial side (remove hands, remove dial) take lots of pictures.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

letti001

thank you for your help. I was a bit nervous removing the hands and dial but this seems to be the simplest approad.

And yes, i will take photos (or video)

I viewed these videos as well.

Thank you.

topnote73

My Nekton SMP has been getting no wrist time since it stopped screwing down .

I just can wear it with crown sticling out which is a travesty as it a great super rep and drew many an admiring glance from fellow gen watch lovers at work.

letti001

I was wearin git with the crown not screwing in but I was worried about being in an area other than Arizona. Rain and humidity risk.

Also, it just annoyed me to look at the stem sticking out all the time.

I have not tried repairing it yet as I need to get the tool to remove the hands. I thin it is best, from what i understand, to repair the keyless works from the dial side rather than attempting the watchmaker side.