Focknawesome

Crown Lock on Omega Planet Ocean 42mm

Focknawesome

As the title suggests, I’ve got an Omega Planet Ocean 42mm and the crown lock has snapped or stripped and won’t secure the crown in the seated or locked position. The watch otherwise functions well - anybody know of a friendly repair facility near North Texas I could step into or ship the watch to for work?

Intresting

You will most likely need a new crown and tube.  Otherwise, the repair will probably just make it such that the crown sits flush with the case, but you will not be able to screw it down for water tightness.  There is only one TD that advertises that they sell spare parts.

Focknawesome

I don’t have the knowledge or tools to make that kinda of repair myself. Are there any rep-friendly repair places in the US?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FunnyStarSystem

Unfortunately this is one of those things that often totals a rep. You learn to be super careful screwing and unscrewing because it's virtually impossible to find a part number, or accurately measure a tube/stem thread on a rep, but very easy to strip.

Best repair guy I know on here is Gary (Katt): https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/224-katts-watch-repair/

not sure he'd touch this, but you can email and ask. There's also a guy I haven't tried, but he's trusted and in the US: https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/forum/377-oascom-watch-service-center/

You can remove the spring/gasket from the crown allowing it to be pushed all the way down, but it'll never really sit right, and defeats the water protection purpose of the mechanism. 

Focknawesome

Jeeze thank you for the detailed information and the potential repair sources!

Frankly it’s still running perfectly I just know the crown is those couple of millimeters “up” and I’d hate to kill it allowing it to be even lightly splashed.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

topnote73

The same problem with my Nexton, got good info from Simonix. 

"The problem with the omega is, it will no doubt need another new stem tube, crown, or both. first off, these parts will be hard to find (Rolex ones are much easier to find), secondly, you need to drill out the old stem tube, re-tap/re-solder the new tube into place."

Mine is running great but the crown is just sticking out. I think I need to be more delicate with screw-down going forward.

NCRich

This is a terrible problem.  We really should come up with a better solution.  Hell I know what I'm doing and it was one of the hardest problems I've ever had to resolve.   Its easier to just order another watch.

• Like 1