belykoral

[Question]What's so special about Rolex???

belykoral

Honest question, not trolling as I'm thinking about picking up a GMT II pretty soon...

Often Omega is compared to Rolex and is considered inferior for a few reasons such as: in-house movement, quality, consistency in design, heritage, etc.

The arguments for consistency in design and thus the ability to hold value, I completely understand and agree. The heritage, also I won't argue since it's not of great importance to me who did this or that. My curiosity however lies with the actual quality of the watch's fit and finish and the in-house movement.

I understand that the in-house movement is cost more and can be held to a higher standard of quality. However are the Rolex movements that much more impressive? Aside from the fact that they are made in-house and are original designs, are they more complex, accurate, durable, etc. when compared to a high-end ETA movements and such?

Also, what about fit and finish of the watch? Are they leaps and bounds above Omega, Breitling, etc?

I'm learning more about watches as I'm fairly new to this and couldn't find answers anywhere to my satisfaction so I'm asking here.

tribefan

I reluctantly released this from the spammers queue cuz were not into censoring, however, I will draw the line at pictures of excrement or roadkill. It is the Holidays ya know....

splke
1 minute ago, tribefan said:

I reluctantly released this from the spammers queue cuz were not into censoring, however, I will draw the line at pictures of excrement or roadkill.

:daffy:

deju

wait.... 

Thinking about picking up a GMT2 or recently gifted a GMT2 as a wedding gift.

all your chat conflicts 

FudgyDocker

Go and ask this very question on the Rolex forum. I dare you. I double dare you, motherfucker! :lol:

Philiusmaximus

This fella is weird and has a wiff of dodgy. Either that or his carer isn't looking and he's made it to the computer again.

T3Steve

Rolex is primarily a marketing company that also makes a fairly good watch.

• Like 1

Retrouk
On 27/12/2021 at 06:18, belykoral said:Often Omega is compared to Rolex and is considered inferior for a few reasons such as: in-house movement, quality, consistency in design, heritage, etc.

I understand that the in-house movement is cost more and can be held to a higher standard of quality. However are the Rolex movements that much more impressive? Aside from the fact that they are made in-house and are original designs, are they more complex, accurate, durable, etc. when compared to a high-end ETA movements and such?

It’s a pretty much accepted fact in the watch world that the METAS certified coaxial movements in the Morden Omega watches are superior to the Rolex COSC movement. It’s the fact Omega is in a group (swatch) and has to report sales and profits, plus make shareholders happy buy selling plenty of watches thus not creating artificial shortages that keeps the desirability low. We all want what we can’t have!

Philiusmaximus
1 hour ago, Retrouk said:

We all want what we can’t have!

Yep... boobs :titsmcgee:

Mystery Shopper

Rolex don't even get a look at the plinth at the base of the trilogy....

GenTLe

Old thread. 

Anyway, Rolex aren't better than Omega or many more brands (think about Glashutte Original, Blancpain, Grand Seiko etc etc). It's just that it is the only brand that is known to all, really all people, and identified like something luxury.

Similar things are valid for brands like Ferrari or Moët & Chandon or Gucci and so on.

Hence those superficial/shallow/not in the knowledge that just want "a watch to show that I've done it" go for the only one they know and associate with that: Rolex.

Yes they are good watches, yes they are also overhyped.

Redfire1066

The amazing and much overlooked JLC . ..  enough said .. . :pcsam:

• Like 1

tabuktime

The worst thing (I think) about Rolexes, is that when you're wearing one everyone assumes it's a fake.

Not that I've ever worn a gen :kidding:

Horace Derwent
5 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Old thread. 

Anyway, Rolex aren't better than Omega or many more brands (think about Glashutte Original, Blancpain, Grand Seiko etc etc). It's just that it is the only brand that is known to all, really all people, and identified like something luxury.

Similar things are valid for brands like Ferrari or Moët & Chandon or Gucci and so on.

Hence those superficial/shallow/not in the knowledge that just want "a watch to show that I've done it" go for the only one they know and associate with that: Rolex.

Yes they are good watches, yes they are also overhyped.

And i quote every single word you wrote, well  put together.

Try to go to Reddit, in the  /reptime Subreddit...is hilarious how 90% of the posts is about Rolex.

And not only this ! The SAME Rolex actually : Submariner (YAWN), Daytona (yawn), GMT II,  Daydate.....

What we should admire about Rolex is their marketing; i mean, it's without a single doubt the MOST KNOWN brand worldwide.

And this is not a small feat IMHO....

Edited by Horace Derwent
  • Like 1

deju
5 minutes ago, tabuktime said:

The worst thing (I think) about Rolexes, is that when you're wearing one everyone assumes it's a fake.

I’d rather everyone thinks my watches are fake. 

:lol:

• Like 1

gran
1 hour ago, tabuktime said:

Rolex-Submariner-Fake-Vs-Real-LCA-Guide.

advertisement made ROLEX a hit

8.James_Bond-Submariner.jpg

9.Rolex-Explorer-Matterhorn.jpg

68c4f95f3debe05136f18e7f55e74df4-rolex-w

while HUBLOT....

Mugged-Bernie-Ecclestone-Hublot-Watch-Ad

• Like 1