Pesman

You and your collection in 2022…

Pesman

Morning all,

As you will know, I have been lucky enough to have built up a pretty extensive collection of both gen and rep watches over the past few years. Nothing like [mention]cvp3 [/mention] but a pretty indulgent 60 odd watches.

However, I still struggle with really ‘enjoying’ my hobby. A week in Sharm wearing my beloved PO (apart from one occasion) made me realise how much I enjoyed the lack of pressure to wear my others rather then leave them languishing in my watch box.

I am very lucky, I earn decent money and have a wife who allows me to indulge my hobby with minimal fuss. However, I still feel guilty at the value of watches I own and the number and it does taint my enjoyment. Hence my selling a few this week.

Bottom line, if someone offered to let me keep 5 watches and take the rest away and drop a fair value in my bank account, I’d feel like a great weight had been lifted. Don’t get me wrong, I love watches. I love reading and learning about them. I love their endless variety. I love you guys and being part of this community. I love their stories and I love a package arriving. But, with the odd exception, the cost/benefit is reducing…has it become an addiction?

So, I would be interested as to how you view the relationship between you and your collections and what are your 2022 plans? This is not about the ‘how many watches is too many’ but the emotional relationship between us and our hobby.

If it helps, a blog to watch had an interesting take on this..

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/our-watch-collecting-resolutions-for-2022/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Philiusmaximus

It absolutely became an addiction for me. I recently made an investment purchase in a property and the sheer amount of transactions in and out of my accounts to fund the hobby caused some headaches. So I am going to be a big boy and deal with it by reducing my collection and using the funds for sensible grown up things.

I would get caught up in the thrill of the chase and got to a point where I wasn't happy just enjoying reading about a watch. If I liked it I bought it. That took the shine off so many. And loads just sat in the watch box not being used. What's the point in that?!

So I've just taken a gen grail of mine to a service centre for a repair and once it's back that will be my go to and I'll have a few others to rotate to give some variety.

I've stuck to a handful of tremendous super reps that I'll be comfortable and confident wearing in any situation and some great gens. I'll still keep an eye on the rep world as I genuinely think we are about to see reps on a level never seen before - give it a few years. That will be interesting but it's down to that I think we will be further introduced to the likes of superbly made micro brands that aren't repped and have great value for money.

• Like 3

Cap'n

A bit like you I'm in a somewhat privileged position when it comes to watch buying. I don't take that for granted, but also worked bloody hard to get here. Having said that my collection is nowhere near as big as yours and I've always tried to keep it down to 1 watch box which holds 12. I originally got into reps as a bit of a 'try before you buy' - it certainly then did become a bit of an addiction and I was buying (and flipping) all sorts of stuff I'd never consider as gens, just to see what they looked like on the wrist - I even got to the stage where the watch box was full and I started looking at a watch and thinking ooh, that would suit the father-in-law/son-in-law etc. and buying it for them (they even told me I had an addiction - I thought thanks would have ben more appropriate!). 

I went through a phase of looking at some of the reps and even started thinking, why even buy the gen, these are excellent, but just recently I've gone back to wearing the gens a lot more (ironically triggered after my Seamaster Chrono came back from a service looking like a new watch). I'm enjoying viewing the reps, but don't seem to be buying as much and am looking more at gen purchases again now (including to replace one or two of my reps of the same watch).  

• Like 1

Pesman
It absolutely became an addiction for me. I recently made an investment purchase in a property and the sheer amount of transactions in and out of my accounts to fund the hobby caused some headaches. So I am going to be a big boy and deal with it by reducing my collection and using the funds for sensible grown up things. I would get caught up in the thrill of the chase and got to a point where I wasn't happy just enjoying reading about a watch. If I liked it I bought it. That took the shine off so many. And loads just sat in the watch box not being used. What's the point in that?!

So I've just taken a gen grail of mine to a service centre for a repair and once it's back that will be my go to and I'll have a few others to rotate to give some variety.

I've stuck to a handful of tremendous super reps that I'll be comfortable and confident wearing in any situation and some great gens. I'll still keep an eye on the rep world as I genuinely think we are about to see reps on a level never seen before - give it a few years. That will be interesting but it's down to that I think we will be further introduced to the likes of superbly made micro brands that aren't repped and have great value for money.

So true. Like your thinking and will try to avoid simply buying your collection as I know we have similar tastes. The hassle of selling gens is still a big part of why I like reps. As you say, the quality (and, unfortunately, the prices) are rising - especially on the non-chronographs. The demise of some key factories has also raised the esteem of watches we previously swapped and sold.  

Let's just hope they never solve sunken dates for B01 style chrino layouts or I'm doomed...

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

hasel5

I started with a couple of Gens Seamaster and YM then decided would try a rep and duly purchased a Datejust in Dubai.

Was lacking in lots of things and didn't know better so a quick google and 7 years later I'm a addict but coping 

I have got better and my collection is a 50/50 split pretty much at about 60 of each.

Lot of micro brands or cheaper gens in there

Haven't brought a rep in a month and no Gens this year yet but did in December 

I do enjoy the hobby and my partner is pretty cool about it TBH 

Will see what this year brings

Happy new year to all

• Like 1

Pesman

Haven't brought a rep in a month and no Gens this year...

It's only the 3rd! smile.png

• Like 4

Howitzer

The most my collection ever got up to was about 8 watches I think, and that was plenty for me. I like the idea of having them more than the reality I think. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of trying loads of styles until I arrived at a small selection with a bit of variety that I really like wearing. I know what I like and what I don’t like, and there are very few from the 50-odd I have owned that I really hanker after. 

After recovering a bit from my complete rep sell-off in 2020, I’m back up to four and would like to add another two this year, but will be very selective about it. Even in a money-no-object scenario, I’d probably only want maybe 10 gens of various models, and nothing crazy expensive at that. There are many other types of toy that would need acquiring :) 

• Like 1

Pesman
The most my collection ever got up to was about 8 watches I think, and that was plenty for me. I like the idea of having them more than the reality I think. I thoroughly enjoyed the process of trying loads of styles until I arrived at a small selection with a bit of variety that I really like wearing. I know what I like and what I don’t like, and there are very few from the 50-odd I have owned that I really hanker after. 

After recovering a bit from my complete rep sell-off in 2020, I’m back up to four and would like to add another two this year, but will be very selective about it. Even in a money-no-object scenario, I’d probably only want maybe 10 gens of various models, and nothing crazy expensive at that. There are many other types of toy that would need acquiring  
Your self-restraint is inspiring!

Howitzer
2 minutes ago, Pesman said:

Your self-restraint is inspiring!

Just lucky I guess?!

NCRich

You people are odd.

• Like 1

GingerApple

I think where you chaps are going wrong is buying Gen. I've got 75 watches and worry not a jot about the money invested because they're virtually all reps and therefore comparatively cheap. My financial feeling when looking at my collection is, 'Wow, they have saved me an absolute fortune compared to Gen!'

I bet my 75 watch collection (which I feel no pressure to rotate, but do love to rotate) costs significantly less than yours Pesman. Watches like that Bremont you're trying to sell are absolute fuckers. What did you spend on that, £4k? Unless my current account was in the 6 digits, a 65 watch collection full of Gens like that would give me a coronary and I would obsess about the money spent on it. And think what you lose on Gens like the Bremont!  Selling for a £2k loss would piss me right off - the Reps seem to hold value better!

Stay clear of Gen and buy guilt free Reps!

• Like 3

NCRich
10 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I think where you chaps are going wrong is buying Gen. I've got 75 watches and worry not a jot about the money invested because they're virtually all reps and therefore comparatively cheap. My financial feeling when looking at my collection is, 'Wow, they have saved me an absolute fortune compared to Gen!'

I bet my 75 watch collection (which I feel no pressure to rotate, but do love to rotate) costs significantly less than yours Pesman. Watches like that Bremont you're trying to sell are absolute fuckers. What did you spend on that, £4k? Unless my current account was in the 6 digits, a 65 watch collection full of Gens like that would give me a coronary and I would obsess about the money spent on it. And think what you lose on Gens like the Bremont!  Selling for a £2k loss would piss me right off - the Reps seem to hold value better!

I can't believe I agree with the Ferret.

• Like 3

Howitzer
3 minutes ago, NCRich said:

That is really the only gen I have been interested in.

Same here! But the black dial for me

15 minutes ago, NCRich said:

You people are odd.

And you say that like it’s a surprise. 

• Like 2

Intresting

Buy gens that do not have good reps.
Otherwise by a rep.
But buy them in the secondary market and not the AD so someone else has taken the depreciation.
Unless you can get from ADs
1.  Steel Rolex
2.  Nautilus
3. VC Overseas
4. Omega Snoopy

Which would promptly be flipped in the secondary market for a tidy profit to buy other reps.

• Like 1

NCRich

I would have long since left this hobby if I could not build and modify watches.  I don't really care a whit about gen watches and its the practice of working out how to modify, build or repair one that is interesting to me.  Wearing one is OK, but enjoy looking at them more.  I also generally regret selling almost every watch I have sold so I don't do that much.

Everyone has different things that interest them.

• Like 1

deju

I’m definitely somewhere under 30. 

I find my daily becoming a submariner, a boring watch but a great tool watch.

There is just nothing fun out there, those cheeky sub £150 watches like the Crazyhours etc. I miss KeNny too, so many cool lume jobs 

I found enjoyment in chasing vintage parts for Rolex 16** / 16*** datejusts but now I have 3 box queens. 

Pesman
I fully get where you're coming from. Currently my 49 reps would be worth around £500k if gen so I have saved around 97%

The gens are nearly always bought used so that big loss rarely happens and some have turned a good profit...but reps are always easier to move on...

I would have long since left this hobby if I could not build and modify watches.  I don't really care a whit about gen watches and its the practice of working out how to modify, build or repair one that is interesting to me.  Wearing one is OK, but enjoy looking at them more.  I also generally regret selling almost every watch I have sold so I don't do that much.
Everyone has different things that interest them.
I would love to learn basic servicing! It's on the bucket list and I know there are plenty of resources out there

• Like 1

movintage

I was fortunate to have a grandfather who started to introduce and educate me to the finer things in life that started when I was a young boy and continued to adulthood until his death. Beautiful and wondrous things like the outdoors and nature, literature, travel, art, food, drink, clothes, accessories like a good cigarette and cigar case, cufflinks, tie tacks and of course watches. Especially watches!

I’ve always loved mechanical things and watches are such amazing mechanical marvels. Their history, manufacture and complication evolution. A man,  hand made device that through the arrangement of gears and springs allows us to keep track and observe a most precious gift of life, time! Think about it. A hand made mechanism that through springs and gears beats at say, 28,800 vph/bph or 8 beats per second that turns a watch’s hands to measure the 3,600 seconds in an hour. All this within +/- a few seconds hour after hour, day after day without stop so long as the watch has power. 

So for me the emotional attachment to watches is very, very strong. My collecting started with my first watch I received from my grandfather when I was 7. Upon his death when I was 19 I inherited his collection of 10 watches. Fast forward to present day I have a substantial collection of watches, both vintage and modern. Both major and micro brands, mechanical and quartz including 5 reps. Each one has special meaning and each one I love each, especially my first watch I received when I was 7.

During this time I’ve learned watch servicing, polishing and repair. Met, made and built life long friendships with fellow collectors and enthusiasts. Probably caused at least one divorce introducing an OCD friend to the wonderful world of time. But in all this time I have NEVER sold or traded a single watch.

No, watch collecting isn’t an addiction for me. It’s a love and passion. These days I’m winding down and will be retiring soon. Will I stop collecting? I might but who knows what surprises are in store :giggle:

• Like 7

NFleischer

51565834051_0ed81a9af5_b_d.jpg

As  one of the original members here  since 2008, I've had a lot of time to collect. Unfortunately, I rarely sell (usually gift) so I've accumulated about 150 watches! Initially I had bought a number of higher end Gens including several Rolex , Omegas,, IWC etc.

My business is not what it used to be and the price of gens like Rolex is just crazy. Foe example, I've been on 'wait list' for 41 mm ND Sub 41mm. but I doubt I'll hear soon.

Now I buy reps or Gens under $1000. My last purchase- Spinnaker for $240.  I'm very pleased.

Edited by NFleischer

Jonnybaws

Can see both sides of the argument..
Had a few Gens in the past.. but once bitten by the Rep bug and more precisely the Super Rep bug, I've not looked at getting Gens.
In the past I'd have had a collection of 4-5 decent Gens but that isn't enough for me, I'd get bored..
My rep collection as consisted in the past of over 100 watches, of all makes.. 
However over time, I've become more and more of a Pam fan, nothing else really takes my fancy to the point where I think I must buy it, I like the look of them and would wear them a few times but I'd end up selling them, most times at a loss, so.. I stick to what I love, Pams and one AP Franken.. (although I'm slowly acquiring parts for a second Franken).

Philiusmaximus

Funnily enough my first proper gen was a Panerai Luminor Base and loved it. Visually some Pam reps are on par with gen but I've never found any to be comparable to build quality, which is pretty obvious considering price difference and manufacturing processes. That being said I now own zero Pam gens and three super rep Pams. Says it all.

My gens are watches that aren't repped.

Pesman

What is clear is that I am not alone! Clearly it is up to the individual to feel comfortable with the outlay and how little or how specific watches are worn.

My gens do focus on those that aren't repp'd or that suffer from the infamous SDW if they are...

I have only made three really bad gen purchases and blame holidays for that. I now know that I am not a dress watch man - no matter how interesting the calibre - and that Oris and ML depreciate really badly!

I need to focus on the pleasure but I do see gens decreasing so I can really enjoy those I am lucky enough to own...reps will always remain pure fun and a great try before you buy...

Will be interesting to see how it looks in 2022

Just checked my tracker and my net gen spend in 2021 was pretty horrendous- may explain the guilt...

Reps wise £5.5k in but £5.3k out ... much more sensible!

Enough said.....