Pesman

You and your collection in 2022…

tribefan

Had to count, I haven't done that in many months, I have 45 watches, out of those about a dozen are quartz or 21J beaters. I've actually been consolidating over the last six months. I'd say I spend 5x the amount of time looking for gen's then I do for reps, but I purchase a lot more reps. For me, finding the right buy on a gen is more difficult, tons more to choose from and pricing / value is all over the place. My most expensive gen is under $3K.

That said, I'm pretty happy with where the collection is at. I have an order with TanGo to finish out replacing all of the camel penis skin rep straps on my dress watches. All of the diver style are more than covered with high quality straps or bracelets. @NCRich took care of my Tudor Bronze with a gen 2824, thank you brother you are the best, that watch is a keeper for the long haul.

• Like 3

Khronos

I don't understand the guilt part. You didn't steal the money, you've earned it. So you deserve every single watch in your collection. Simples.

I'm much, much less fortunate financially, nothing but trouble lately, but I'm genuinely happy for people that are already living the life I'd like to live someday. Especially you lot on this forum, most of you have your heart in the right place. 

So enjoy the hell out of this passion and try not to feel guilty about it for a single moment :)

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem

All I know is if I die suddenly, good luck to whomever has to figure out which are reps and which are gens since they all mingle in the same boxes.

Knowing my wife she'd probably not bother with all that and send the lot straight off to Goodwill, along with everything else I own. She's had her eye on my home office for a yoga studio for some time.

• Like 5

Pesman
I don't understand the guilt part. You didn't steal the money, you've earned it. So you deserve every single watch in your collection. Simples.
I'm much, much less fortunate financially, nothing but trouble lately, but I'm genuinely happy for people that are already living the life I'd like to live someday. Especially you lot on this forum, most of you have your heart in the right place. 
So enjoy the hell out of this passion and try not to feel guilty about it for a single moment
Remember there is no logic to guilt! Ask any politician!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Abe Fromen

The most I've ever had was 12 at one time. I found I was always rotating the same few and many just sat there. For me the chase was the addictive part and then the modding phase, which drove me batty and decided to stop doing as it's just imo, burning money for little real enjoyment. So I whittled the collection down over a the course of two years. Now I'm down to five and considering adding one (hopefully can find an IWC mkXVII on M2M) and I might move a PAM Due, but the white dial/blue arabica on the 906 make it such a perfect summer watch... dunno. Lately the teal Seestern has been on my wrist most, and I am toying with picking up an orange dial at some point. 

But two watches will not leave... my 111 and my gen JCL Memovox. I can't see going past the number six for the collection, thankfully the size of my Ranier box. 

My SO, however, has a few I grew tired of and a ZF Blancpain F50 and a noob 42mm DJ, which I borrow from time to time. 

• Like 1

Piccolo

I gave up on reps a while ago.  I wear my watches hard, and the reps just never lasted.  
The gens I just feel more comfortable wearing, and am happy to daily beater them (ask @deju :D)  
There are not many watches that I’d currently like - at least that are actually available or would require some serious ££.

I’ve found a few custom/bespoke makers and have bought things that are personal to me. (Sartory Billard, Felipe Pikullik, Rashid Tsoroev)  I rarely buy with an eye to sell, or with an eye on depreciation, I’m just not bothered. I buy it because I like it. 

So for 2022 - no real plans to add anything unless it really grabs me. Got a few things on order from last year and those will probably see me through.  

Having said that, if my AD calls with my Aquanaut or Rainbow Daytona……. 

• Like 1

fatarms
On 03/01/2022 at 09:59, tribefan said:

I have an order with TanGo to finish out replacing all of the camel penis skin rep straps on my dress watches.

Very wise decision, my friend.  There is nothing like the feel of gen camel penis skin on your wrist.  If you close your eyes, it's like you fell asleep in the Sahara and a camel decided to take a nap on your wrist.  A camel that tells time.

deju
9 hours ago, Piccolo said:

I gave up on reps a while ago.  I wear my watches hard, and the reps just never lasted.  
The gens I just feel more comfortable wearing, and am happy to daily beater them (ask @deju :D)  
There are not many watches that I’d currently like - at least that are actually available or would require some serious ££.

I’ve found a few custom/bespoke makers and have bought things that are personal to me. (Sartory Billard, Felipe Pikullik, Rashid Tsoroev)  I rarely buy with an eye to sell, or with an eye on depreciation, I’m just not bothered. I buy it because I like it. 

So for 2022 - no real plans to add anything unless it really grabs me. Got a few things on order from last year and those will probably see me through.  

Having said that, if my AD calls with my Aquanaut or Rainbow Daytona……. 

Best way mate… Buy to wear! 

plus these customs have some good craft workmanship, levels up from a wrist piece to art piece IMHO.

Chaykin brought out a minions watch, sold out so I think the rep might tempt you :lol:

Redfire1066

Well starting 2022, currently have thirty eight watches. . ... down from sixty two in 2017.  They are a mixture of a few Gens, Microbrands and Rep's and a couple of builds.  Over the years, most of my Swiss Gens or Seiko MarineMasters from the usual high street suspects I have given away to nephews or friends . ... . . Though, if I buy any other Tudor Watches I am thinking I would keep them . ..  I do like a Tudor :thumbsup2:.  I travel a lot overseas for work and those irresistible Middle East, back alley Rep purchases  . . . well, I just love the haggle and banter of it all.  Mostly though these Reps are not of a good quality and the price reflects these cheap as chips poorer quality Reps.  Rep's for me are better fun, as I wear them more casually and I find them more wearable for everyday use and they can be a good yardstick for trial before you consider taking the financial leap to purchase the Gen.  Eventually these cheaper Rep's find there way to the parts bin or they are passed to an admiring work colleague or casual admirer of them in a pub somewhere for the price of a pint . .. . all  good fun.  But, I do love a micro-brand watch . ..  some fabulous unique styles with good build quality and great value for money in the microbrand sector ... and it is vast ... and every other day some microbrand has released a new model or whole new range of watches .. . I probably spend more time online catching up on Microbrand Watches than any other activity.  Hopefully 2022 will bring some keepers and I say  . ..  funds permitting . ..  buy them soon as. . .  because when we think about all the watches we missed out on because we didn't follow our instincts and take the plunge  ... . .  sometimes you just dont get a second chance to get that watch you really liked. . . :thumbsup:.  Below, check out the spelling on the unique dial of my infamous Rolex Milgalss v Milgauss bought from Dubai, Gold Souk about 6 years ago .. .. ..  Best £20 I have ever spent on a watch? . . lol :facepalm:

jpg7zR.jpg

• Like 2

NCRich
22 minutes ago, Redfire1066 said:

Well starting 2022, currently have thirty eight watches. . ... down from sixty two in 2017.  They are a mixture of a few Gens, Microbrands and Rep's and a couple of builds.  Over the years, most of my Swiss Gens or Seiko MarineMasters from the usual high street suspects I have given away to nephews or friends . ... . . Though, if I buy any other Tudor Watches I am thinking I would keep them . ..  I do like a Tudor :thumbsup2:.  I travel a lot overseas for work and those irresistible Middle East, back alley Rep purchases  . . . well, I just love the haggle and banter of it all.  Mostly though these Reps are not of a good quality and the price reflects these cheap as chips poorer quality Reps.  Rep's for me are better fun, as I wear them more casually then I find them more wearable for everyday use and they can be a good yardstick for trial before you consider taking the financial leap to purchase the Gen.  Eventually these cheaper Rep's find there way to the parts bin or they are passed to an admiring work colleague or casual admirer of them in a pub somewhere for the price of a pint . .. . all  good fun.  But, I do love a micro-brand watch . ..  some fabulous unique styles with good build quality and great value for money in the microbrand sector ... and it is vast ... and every other day some microbrand has released a new model or whole new range of watches .. . I probably spend more time online catching up on Microbrand Watches than any other activity.  Hopefully 2022 will bring some keepers and I say  . ..  funds permitting . ..  buy them soon as. . .  because when we think about all the watches we missed out on because we didn't follow our instincts and take the plunge  ... . .  sometimes you just dont get a second chance to get that watch you really liked. . . :thumbsup:.  Below, check out the spelling on the unique dial of my infamous Rolex Milgalss v Milgauss bought from Dubai, Gold Souk about 6 years ago .. .. ..  Best £20 I have ever spent on a watch? . . lol :facepalm:

jpg7zR.jpg

That is priceless!  Like a missprinted stamp or coin.

• Like 1

Redfire1066

@NCRich .. cheers, I am sure there must be other cracking oddities out there …. :thumbsup2:

NCRich
25 minutes ago, Redfire1066 said:

@NCRich .. cheers, I am sure there must be other cracking oddities out there …. :thumbsup2:

I have an oyster perpetual date sub with no date.

• Like 1

splke

dont have too many now but what i have i like 

i have only 4 reps the rest are gens/ homage/microbrands (6 or 7)

this however does not stop me wanting window shopping desiring it is a bloody curse i tell you

latest obsessions include Sinn and titanium hammys 

ffs i have the budget of a tramp and the desire of a sheik :help:

• Like 6

Piccolo
4 hours ago, deju said:

Best way mate… Buy to wear! 

plus these customs have some good craft workmanship, levels up from a wrist piece to art piece IMHO.

Chaykin brought out a minions watch, sold out so I think the rep might tempt you :lol:

I saw the Minion haha,  a joker is still on my maybe list. Got a few going on the chopping block soon, so you never know… 

billywhiz

Sadly I cannot wear tiny watches so my min limit is 44mm which is why most of mine are the larger PAMS.

But, I do enjoy them and rarely sell. My earliest that I have still around is the Eddie Lee Pam Daylight 196 which I got back in 2005.  I tried a few of the IWC big pilots back in the day but never gelled with the  thinner straps - Again 24/26mm is my limit now.

My last purchase was an absolute impressive 3646 build with the 618 type 4 mvmt from David Sen  (just before he retired) and a fully customised strap from Forrest.   To be honest, not much can top that for me.

What with all the factory closures, border controls (into Uk), worldwide lurgy/raw material constraints/rep price hikes - I think the rep world may become a smaller place with smatterings of issues.

Abe Fromen
9 minutes ago, billywhiz said:

My last purchase was an absolute impressive 3646 build with the 618 type 4 mvmt from David Sen  (just before he retired) and a fully customised strap from Forrest.   To be honest, not much can top that for me.

Pix or go home! 

• Like 1

billywhiz
On 06/01/2022 at 18:22, Abe Fromen said:

Pix or go home! 

Went home - Got pics :) 

jC9074.jpg

jC9x3I.jpg

jC9JYc.jpg

jC9VwX.jpg

• Like 5

billywhiz

And here's the current state (excuse somewhat crappy pic)

372, 587, Custom Gruppo, 127, 3646, 196

All are 47mm bar the 196 which is 44mm

All tribal straps are my own build. 

jCnUmY.jpg

:)

Edited by billywhiz
  • Like 1

Abe Fromen

VERY NICE!

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
29 minutes ago, zulu44gmt said:

Looks like the Polar might be back on the table for 22!!!
Or at least part of one...lol, not sure how the wristie will turn out...

https://www.watchpro.com/koia-raises-1-4-million-with-the-promise-anybody-can-own-a-rolex-or-patek/?amp

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

So many questions after reading that.......:bugeyes:

tribefan
2 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

So many questions after reading that.......:bugeyes:

I read it twice and still don't know what they are selling. But blockchain, so there's that.

Edit: I figured it out. Change fractional to fictional and it all makes sense. It was a spellcheck error I'm sure.

• Like 1

fatarms

Yeah, I'm with you guys.  I interpreted it to mean that the company buys a watch and you can put$10 towards it.  You would own $10 worth of the watch you'd never see.   Fuck that.

• Like 1