Sign in to follow this  
Drhulee

Sellita vs. ETA, any good comparisons out there?

Drhulee

Anyone come across a writeup on the net stripping down an ETA and its Sellita equivalent? Just wondering whether it is all propaganda and marketing, or if there is a big diff in quality.

Also wondering why no "legit" movement manufacturer has put out a 7750 clone yet, since the 20 year term on its patent has passed.

Drhulee

Ok, I read a few articles on other watch sites (WatchTalkForums, ABlogToRead, etc) and it seems that the Sellita movements use lesser quality parts, come in various grades, and are not copies of their counterparts just have similar sizing so they can be used in place of them without major modifications.

So just because it may be a brand new Sellita movement, doesn't mean it is that much better than a Chinese clone, and probably not better than many serviced clones.

Luthier

Wrong. Sellita is same quality as ETA, not better, not worse.

And Seagull make 7750 clone for many years already.

Drhulee
Wrong. Sellita is same quality as ETA, not better, not worse.

And Seagull make 7750 clone for many years already.

Link to independent strip-down comparison please. Even Sellita had to fix a winding issue with their original SW200 (SW200-1 is the fixed one). There a lot of posts on the watch forums about problems with them, so definitely not "same quality" as ETA.

wat44

Wrong Luth

Many are of the opinion that Sellita is lower quality than ETA

NFleischer

I still would prefer the SW over an Asian clone.

Drhulee
I still would prefer the SW over an Asian clone.

But would you prefer an SW over a serviced Asian clone? And if so, why?

Luthier

Doc, ask Robert. He explained everything about Sellita very well, and he knows the stuff.

Drhulee
Doc, ask Robert. He explained everything about Sellita very well, and he knows the stuff.

No need to, as I mentioned, even Sellita acknowledged that they had problems with their SW200 movement design (which verifies that isn't a clone of an ETA). So if you do get a watch with an SW200 powering it, make sure it is an SW200-1 or later.

wat44

awesome to know - I am looking at a watch with sw200 mvt now

any idea how to tell between the sw200 and sw200-1?

Tiny

The only way to know if it's an SW200-1 is to look at the movement. Next to the balance wheel the movement number is stamped. It will be stamped "SW200" or "SW200-1" etc.

The SW200 did have quite a few malfunctions something to do with the automatic winding mechanism. I had an Invicta model 9937 with the SW200 movement and encountered no problems with it. I purchased it when they first introduced the SW200 so I'm pretty sure it wasn't a -1.