manphibian

VSF PAM 968 (Bronzo submersible) owners.....?

manphibian

Have one of these on the way,  and should arrive just before i go on a trip away,   just wondering how you guys found the watches when you got them?   Did they need a service?  Specifically water resistance,  would they stand up to getting splashed a bit in the sea  (not actual swimming / diving)  or not?

Philiusmaximus

I've no experience with that model personally. However I wouldn't take any of my watches into the water without pressure testing. Gens included.

Most of my watches are watertight but I've never had the balls to take my Pam reps in water. You're relying on the quality of the seal made by the crown guard mechanism. Having had a gen Pam, none of the reps feel as tight and secure as the real thing so out of all my reps I've always considered Pam reps to be the least likely to be watertight from factory. I could be wrong.

Nott121

Hey mates, i have had a pam571 from vsf, i just opened case back and back seal was good enough to be lubricated. Then i replaced thé crown o ring with a thicker one that added pressure on the crown by adding thickness.
Checked the waterproofness by submerging the movement empty case in the pool for one night... Then checked the following morning and boom, no water inside.
So i used this watch for swimming in the pool and at the beach and no leak no water inside and i have used it for three years this way.
So to sum UP things, rép factories make other diving watches and dispose of quality sealS so any OOTB rep should be watertight.
Best advice is to have it checked by a watchsmith or the way i do if you know how to tear off your rep.

Ibanez

There's a debate on pams ex factory / TD over on RWI from 2017 about this... bit of chance really... Easy enough to drop the guts out and put the stem back in then drop it in some water for a period and see what ends up in the case, recommend silica bag inside but this is so rudimentary ...this really isnt anywhere close to pressure calibrating as @Philiusmaximus has described, more like take it in the shower (who does that?) or by the pool in case you end up splashing it..

The amount of reps that come in with dry or pinched gaskets, isnt worth the risk IMO unless you go the whole hog and get the machine test upgrade or a service with pressure test

Jonnybaws
2 hours ago, manphibian said:

Have one of these on the way,  and should arrive just before i go on a trip away,   just wondering how you guys found the watches when you got them?   Did they need a service?  Specifically water resistance,  would they stand up to getting splashed a bit in the sea  (not actual swimming / diving)  or not?

They are meant to be able to with stand a bit of splashing but I wouldn't risk it, well not until you have it waterproofed to a good level by a respectable watch smith.
With regards to service, no, had my 968 nearly two years, continues to work like a charm (sods law will most likely fall apart now!)

manphibian

okey dokey,   i'll try and get a pressure test sorted before I go :)       Reason for wanting to splash it in the sea is as much to build up some nice patina on the bronze as anything else :D 

Be nice to have a submersible that's submersible though 

Edited by manphibian

Ibanez
okey dokey,   i'll try and get a pressure test sorted before I go        Reason for wanting to splash it in the sea is as much to build up some nice patina on the bronze as anything else  
Be nice to have a submersible that's submersible though 

Sexy like ….

84fb2aea6b5497b489fed3e76cd55108.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manphibian

Arrrrrrrrrr me hearties :pirate:

Ibanez

Or this 

jPl3iE.jpg

Bobbylah

I had  243 I used all the time in the ocean and pools. Tested first and no issues after that. 

manphibian
1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Or this 

Ewwwwwwwwww  No that's several levels of mank above what I'm going for :D

• Like 1

Jibuti
5 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Or this 

jPl3iE.jpg

stop showing rude pics!!!

• Like 1

TanGo

One of the forum members did the patina himself and posted it step by step. 

I was so impressed with the process and the result that I made a completely new strap design for this model. I took screenshots...

jPkS2E.jpg jPkbv3.jpg jPkJjs.jpg jPk06n.jpg

• Like 1

manphibian
11 hours ago, TanGo said:

One of the forum members did the patina himself and posted it step by step. 

I was so impressed with the process and the result that I made a completely new strap design for this model. I took screenshots...

Amazing!   Do you happen to have a link for the Post?   Trying to find on search but it's a frustrating experience 

Edited by manphibian

Jibuti

I treated it at 1st very midly with LOS, just to start patina process, so this is like 70% natural (no silicone..:lol:.), result after one year...

@TanGo that strap might be very good, all yours are :thumbsup:... but  that watch is.... just vulgar.....

20200818-144016.jpg

• Like 1

Ibanez
1 minute ago, Jibuti said:

I treated it at 1st very midly with LOS, just to start patina process, so this is like 70% natural (no silicone..:lol:.), result after one year...

Lovely, nice collection too

manphibian

Thanks for the pics :) Can't wait to get cracking with mine now,   watching the tracking hourly,  it's been handed over to the airline now :D

I think i'll give it the old egg in a bag treatment to kick it off,  then go the natural route 

TanGo
2 hours ago, manphibian said:

Amazing!   Do you happen to have a link for the Post?   Trying to find on search but it's a frustrating experience 

Here . The post of yllekp

TanGo
2 hours ago, Jibuti said:

@TanGo that strap might be very good, all yours are :thumbsup:... but  that watch is.... just vulgar.....

:p

jPEn9j.jpg jPEyNv.jpg jPE9K1.jpg

• Like 2

manphibian
3 hours ago, TanGo said:

Here . The post of yllekp

Amazing,  thankyou :)