d'Boss

Longines Primaluna quartz movement

d'Boss

Just wondered if anyone out there can point me the right direction? 

My better half's favourite piece is the Longines Primaluna. But, a couple of months ago it just stopped working. I changed the battery (as I have done in the past) and didn't work. Thought it could been a dud battery so tried another. Then another...... 

So, I'm guessing, it is the movement itself and its time to replace that unit. 

OK. Something I've never done before but am willing to have a go. (is it easy or should I hand it to someone in their capable hands?) 

Now, the question is, does anyone know what size/type of quartz movement is used in this model? 

Once I know I can get one from my "go to" supplier (get here in UK), Cousins - get have a vast array of goods for the horophile! 

Anyway, any help, pointers, advice will be most welcome. 

Regards. 

FudgyDocker

A quick bit of Googling would reveal the answer, but try this for size

https://watchbase.com/longines/caliber/l250

d'Boss

Thanks, FudgyDocker! 

I did the Googly bit but nowt came up as I was looking for the rep version, maybe? 

Again, I can see from the link you posted, these are the movements for Gen watches. Dare I ask (as, yes, I am an absolute Horophile but in no way technically minded!) would the movement as stated on that site cross reference exactly (as in the dimensions) for an off the shelf movement from, say, Cousins - my usual go-to for all things to do with watches? 

And, yes, I am looking for a quartz movement for a Rep (and I have to say, it is very good all round) of the Longines Primaluna that we have. 

Looking forward to your knowledge. 

Dr Fun Socks

The movement number should be written somewhere on the movement. Pop the back off an have a look with a loupe. Might be a whole bunch of numbers but if you google “quartz movement xxx” eventually something will pop up. If it looks similar on the cousins site, you should be good to go. 

NCRich

You are doing a poor job of asking.  Are you looking for a movement to go in a gen Longines?  If so get the same one that is in it.  Its a $40 movement.

Same answer for a rep.

There are no rep movements

Philiusmaximus

Why not just take to a watchsmith for a proper look. Some quarts movements don't automatically start just by sticking in a new battery. I've had a couple of them and various things need to be done after battery change

shyreplover

Quartz watch circuit board can go bad if you leave the battery dead over long period of time.
All you need to do is replace the board. It is easy to do. No need to take the movement out from the case. You only need a screwdriver. Unscrew all the bolts, remove coil cover plate, remove old board, replace board, place coil cover, screw the bolts.

Here's an example of a cicuit board: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224798309761?hash=item345705fd81:g:YhIAAOSwKGRh599Z

d'Boss
On 03/02/2022 at 10:34, NCRich said:

You are doing a poor job of asking.  Are you looking for a movement to go in a gen Longines?  If so get the same one that is in it.  Its a $40 movement.

Same answer for a rep.

There are no rep movements

Yep. You're right: Am looking for quartz movement in the rep version. 

And, btw, of the ONLY two watchsmiths that are within 25 miles of me (there are others but all, either, sneer or are "afraid" when you ask them to service/work on quality/top end reps!!!) have turned out to be pretty crap at their profession. I won't even go there and tell you what they did/didn't do!

On 03/02/2022 at 11:17, Philiusmaximus said:

Why not just take to a watchsmith for a proper look. Some quarts movements don't automatically start just by sticking in a new battery. I've had a couple of them and various things need to be done after battery change

The ONLY two watchsmiths that are within 25 miles of me (there are others but all, either, sneer or are "afraid" when you ask them to service/work on quality/top end reps!!!) have turned out to be pretty crap at their profession. I won't even go there and tell you what they did/didn't do!

Just wish I could find an honest, decent and respectful fellow horophile, near where I live, who can do some servicing and other bits and pieces if needed......... 

d'Boss
On 03/02/2022 at 18:25, shyreplover said:

Quartz watch circuit board can go bad if you leave the battery dead over long period of time.
All you need to do is replace the board. It is easy to do. No need to take the movement out from the case. You only need a screwdriver. Unscrew all the bolts, remove coil cover plate, remove old board, replace board, place coil cover, screw the bolts.

Here's an example of a cicuit board: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224798309761?hash=item345705fd81:g:YhIAAOSwKGRh599Z

Thanks for this. But, with the cost of a new quartz movement I believe it works be easier just to replace the it as a whole. But, I learnt something new........