ccrsvt

Second hand a 9 fell off

ccrsvt

I have a 346N. Wondering what’s involved to fix the second hand at 9 o’clock, I dropped it the other day and it fell out. It’s floating around on the face of the watch. Luckily the drop was on carpet so nothing broke on the inside, still winds and keeps time just fine

ccrsvt

82505e9afddc0d4e847a5024ea9e71e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tribefan

It is a pretty easy fix if you've done any work on watches before. Never a great idea to work on a watch for the first time unless you are willing to mess up.

Take off the case back. remove the movement screws, remove the stem, remove the movement. Use a small piece of Rodico to pick up the second hand and use the same piece to place it back on the pinion, you may have to apply just a very small amount of pressure with some tweezers to get it seated. Reassemble.

This should be a pretty easy and inexpensive fix for a watchmaker if any of the above freaks you out. Reassembling the movement back into the case can be a challenge for any beginner. Getting those screws into the right spot to tighten down  the movement tabs takes some patience if you've never done it before. If you try a few times and get frustrated, just walk away and come back.

The other tricky part is just handling the second hand and dial, both are easy to scratch, especially gold plated hands. Don't ask me how I know.

Abe Fromen

If you've never taken a crown out before, get someone else to do it. I've done it about six times and effed up the keyless three of those times. 

ccrsvt

Thanks, didn’t think the front came off, I’ll have someone do it, I appreciate the help

GenTLe
16 hours ago, tribefan said:

apply just a very small amount of pressure with some tweezers to get it seated

I'd suggest to avod anything metallic for that. The hands are SUPER easy to scratch. Best way in my esperience is to push vertically using a toothpic in the exact center of the hand post, to cause a vertical force direct over the pinion supporting the hand.

NCRich
7 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

I'd suggest to avod anything metallic for that. The hands are SUPER easy to scratch. Best way in my esperience is to push vertically using a toothpic in the exact center of the hand post, to cause a vertical force direct over the pinion supporting the hand.

Great minds think alike.

• Like 1

GingerApple
19 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Great minds think alike.

How did you know I agreed with Gentle? :ohwell:

NCRich
23 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

How did you know I agreed with Gentle? :ohwell:

Was there something to bleach on this watch?

• Like 2

RobertMills

Glad it survived the fall on the carpet. About fixing the second hand at 9 o'clock, you might want to check if there's a tiny screw or clip around that area. If you're not too tech-savvy, maybe swing by a local watch repair shop. Also, random thought – any chance you scored this gem at a flea market in Sacramento California? Those places are like hidden treasure troves! Good luck with the fix!

Edited by RobertMills